Rock and Roll "Hall of Fame" any credebility remaining?

stonefreelee

I was wanting some Zep fans opinions on the proposed induction of such "luminaries" as Madonna...Personally I am disappointed by the so-called "rock n roll" artists being inducted these years...any thoughts? Couldn't find this topic in the "search" hope I'm not repeating a thread>>>Just trying to see what every one thinks. Is there a way to petiton them or affect their inductee process?

edited 2 feb

POP ................is................NOT.........ROCK..............................

......video

.............. .....killed the radio star..... ............. ...........Tommy,Tommy can ya HEAR me?............ ............ ...................... ... take the ear plugs out you know where you can stick the cork ! ................................................................................

................you can dance for inspiration.................. ...........what we need is a Revolution.............. . a real rock-n-rock revival!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POP .................is.............NOT.........ROCK.............................vid

eo.....killed the radio star.

Can't say I ever bought into that argument. It really doesn't fly in this day and age when the most popular shows on VH1 and MTV are "reality" shows and music has become secondary (if not altogether absent) from both of them.

The only usefulness the 'rock hall of fame' possesses is the ability to reunite groups and hoard cool gear.

I agree to an extent, it also serves the purpose of blowing some people out of proportion and overshadowing others. Wait...that isn't a useful purpose, oh well.

ok-----in this day and age-------I said killed not currently killing..........look up revival.....................................................................long long ago I went to the sacred store....................................video killed......once upon a time Humans listened to music.. ...............mtv.......................Dance baby Dance,well hell when you watch one woman change costumes & hair color for 25 years ........what do you think is going to happen to Sound quality if everyone was too buzy watching , I guess they weren`t to concerned about L-I-S-T-E-N-I-N-G

I don't think video killed the radio star either. I know from my own personal perpective it didn't change the music I listened to. If anything programs like 120 Minutes and PostModern MTV helped turn me onto artists I never would have heard of otherwise since most of them never would have received airplay on local radio stations (other than college ones) since they were far too experimental for commercial radio.

LOOK THE MUSIC BIZ IS A BITCH POP OR ROCK OR WHATEVER IF YOU CAN SURVIVE FOR OVER 10 YEARS YOU MUST OF DONE SOMETHING RIGHT. MADDONA MUSIC MAY NOT BE MY GIG BUT I ABSOLUTLY LOVE AND ADMIRE HER FUCK YOU ROCK AND ROLL SPIRIT. SHES GOT MY RESPECT!!!!!!!! B)

respect$$$$$$$$$$$$ ??????????? the entertainment Industry $$$$$$$ VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR .......... is a line in a song................as a few things I`ve posted here are.............some people make it in music because of talent ........I think if a person is going to get paid millions to sing ......I think they should be able to sing.......and some people make it because they are a tool-------in the hand of someone else ...............don`t get me wrong everyone is of value & matters..........I like a wide variety of music........POP is NOT ....ROCK............ and we still N-E-E-D a REVIVAL!!!!!!!!!!

A "revival"? Rock n' roll is everywhere. Speaking just for myself I don't need to hear it on the radio or see it on music television to know it's out there. I've been an avid music listener/fan since the early 70s and have never had any problem finding music I like, even in the 00s.

Count me in with the group of people who don't care who gets inducted. It's not something I see worth getting angry or upset or indignant over anyhow. If you seriously get pissed off that the RRHOF is inducting people you don't think belong there, that's just silly. If someone gets in that shouldn't or someone doesn't get in that should, it's not going to change my opinion of either artist or music in general.

I am not upset about a thing------JAZZ just isn`t Opera-----I like them both.......they usually don`t give barbands Honour at Opera Houses ..........as For Rock well there many flavors................................. ........just not very many like Led Zeppelin---the full combo-------

Although I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I'm pretty pissed at it right now. I went there in 5th grade, and it was awesome. It was pretty much what got me liking music. But come on, Madonna? Yeah, she was innovative (if you could call it that) but she's definitely NOT Rock and Roll.

Although I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, I'm pretty pissed at it right now. I went there in 5th grade, and it was awesome. It was pretty much what got me liking music. But come on, Madonna? Yeah, she was innovative (if you could call it that) but she's definitely NOT Rock and Roll.

right, my whole point being is, well, if you inducted say, the carpenters or abba or madonna or...well hopefully you get the drift. Where do you draw the line? And who makes that call? This is not an original argument or idea on my part, just trying to stimulate some feedback...I believe it is awesome the zep is there and many other greats...but when it gets to the point where they are inducting Culture Club or Wham, cyndi lauper...madonna...wtf...i guess the eighties were kinda short on...well, that's another thred i suppose.

I suggest they change the name to the "Artists Who Made The Industry Good Money 25 Years Ago" Hall of Fame...I have lost all respect for the current "hall of fame" regime...

I believe it is awesome the zep is there and many other greats...but when it gets to the point where they are inducting Culture Club or Wham, cyndi lauper...madonna...wtf...i guess the eighties were kinda short on...well, that's another thred i suppose.

The 80s were short on what? There was definitely more to that time period than Culture Club, Wham, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna and the artists popularized by MTV. Same way there was more to the 70s than the disco movement (punk rock, anyone?) and more to the 90s than rap (Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc). The 80s had lots of good bands in U2, R.E.M., the Replacements, the Alarm, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Robert Plant, Van Halen, the Cure, the Cult and countless others.

I understand why Madonna is being inducted, same reason James Brown, Bob Marley and other non-rock performers were inducted, because of their influence on rock n' roll but in the case of Madonna I simply don't see where she was influential on rock n' roll at all. I do, however, see where she was highly influential on pop and dance music.

As for visiting the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, I have too and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. Thing was, they had a display for Britney Spears. Well, believe you me if they let Madonna in you can fully expect Britney to be inducted upon her first year of eligibilty. She is the rightful heir to Madonna's influence, not any rock n' roll artists. Pat Benatar was far more influential on female rock vocalists than Madonna ever was or ever hopes to be but she's not in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

Maybe they should make a destinction & have a separate award program for the ones who they made all the$$ Only------ alot people don`t relize how many others are behind the sceene pulling strings (a large team effort,also) and what not in show bizz..........take the grammy`s they are a total set-up inside job-- however ,the peoples choice awards,etc are different................................................... another point about the grammy`s is some one can rack `em,stack `em Up totaling high in # and it all be a no brainer and technicaly a false form of messurement if they are the only one in that categorey for years------take the polka -----its a bit limited when there are only a few acts to compete with . Hot air............. ....... ....... .... .. . ----POLITICS----pawns--&--pay-----play the game--------welcome to the machine ..................................................some like their FREEDOM-------so,they did it their way----------- ROCK~N~ROLL hall a fame/ vereses the music money making machine ..........................................did the lady make the right/wise choice?....................................... I know it`s only Rock-n-Roll ........But I like it!- wisdom in the heart of a child.........do you believe in magic?....in a young girls soul.... do you believe in Rock-n-Roll ?.................................oh,yeah I seen her 3/5/64.the initals of her name are.....CSP.......thunder!

Lajolie, your posts aren't easy to read. Maybe you should try to write them in English?

:rolleyes:

and limit the .........'s?

But seriously--back to what I wanted to say:

I think that R&R Hall of Fame is trying to appeal to everyone's ideas of what R&R is. Most of us here have an idea that R&R is REAL R&R, not the pop crap that is on the top 40 charts. While I think this is the correct definition, we can't make the rules of who is inducted...even though I'd love to!

Just think, in a few years they will be inducting hip hop artists. And no, not a fan of that "genre" but my point is, what's next in the RR hall, electronica, or maybe country...I just think they've diluted the thing to the point that it is a total joke...Lz, cream, jimi and, er, uh, maddonna...nice...

she dont fucking rate, baby!

Also: did anyone ever see when Jim Carey won some award years ago and he was in disguise as a 'biker' or something...he gave an awesome speech....in a nutshell he said, "These award shows are created by the 'industry' with the sole purpose being to jack itself off..." Truer words if i ever heard 'em!!!

I think that R&R Hall of Fame is trying to appeal to everyone's ideas of what R&R is. Most of us here have an idea that R&R is REAL R&R, not the pop crap that is on the top 40 charts. While I think this is the correct definition, we can't make the rules of who is inducted...even though I'd love to!

Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone is on the board for the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, that pretty much explains everything right there. I do have a lot of respect for him and his magazine but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what his idea of what a Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is and should be. I've actually had no problem witih most of the inductees so far, until Madonna, that is.

Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone is on the board for the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, that pretty much explains everything right there. I do have a lot of respect for him and his magazine but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what his idea of what a Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is and should be. I've actually had no problem witih most of the inductees so far, until Madonna, that is.

Yeah, and it's only going to get worse as the years roll on....I have nothing personal against artists I dont believe should be there (who the eff am I anyway?!). I just believe to have a TRUE RR hall of fame you must include ROCK AND ROLL ARTISTS!

ie (and i believe i'm really beating a dead horse now...) you would't induct a toaster into the bowling hall of fame, would you?

Just think, in a few years they will be inducting hip hop artists. And no, not a fan of that "genre" but my point is, what's next in the RR hall, electronica, or maybe country...

Grandmaster Flash has already been inducted but I understand why. Rap has had an influence on Rock n' Roll that's undeniable: Chili Peppers, Blondie (Rapture), Anthrax, Page and Puff Diddley, Rush (Roll the Bones), Beastie Boys, the list goes on and on. As for country, Johnny Cash has also been inducted (he's also in the Country Music Hall of Fame). I again, I see why. In his early days he was a rockabilly artist and had a profound influence on the future of Rock n' Roll. Rock n' roll, like all musical genres can not be clearly defined so there are lots of blurry, gray areas. Rock n' roll itself is the result of several different musical genres coming together as one, all the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is trying to do is acknowledge all of those responsible for shaping it's sound, therefore you're going to get folks like James Brown, Bob Marley, Marvin Gaye, etc. inducted.

Archived