Four Sticks

MHD

After viewing Unledded again last night, I realised that I don't recall Four Sticks ever being included in a Zeppelin set. I'm not a connoisseur on the live stuff so maybe someone can enlighten me?

After viewing Unledded again last night, I realised that I don't recall Four Sticks ever being included in a Zeppelin set. I'm not a connoisseur on the live stuff so maybe someone can enlighten me?

Very rarely. Copenhagen '71, and rerecorded with the Bombay Symphony Orchestra, but never officially released, in (I think) '72. And that's it.

Very rarely. Copenhagen '71, and rerecorded with the Bombay Symphony Orchestra, but never officially released, in (I think) '72. And that's it.

Love the Copenhagen version. Great riff I'm surprised it wasn't included in the 71 tour

What I'd like to know and I can't tell from the recording is whether Jimmy used the doubleneck on it and Gallow's Pole. It kind of sounds chimey.

Not sure about Four Sticks, but he used the Les Paul for Gallow's Pole , Tangerine , and Celebration Day in Vancouver Aug 71

Love the Copenhagen version. Great riff I'm surprised it wasn't included in the 71 tour

That version is fantastic! Although after listening to it again it must have been a bear for Bonzo to play- It is just a relentless attack on those drums with such a bizarre pattern- really is a brilliant song

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Back on the forum again, it has been a while. Four Sticks has been one of my favorite Zeppelin songs ever since I was in 6th grade home sick listening to IV over and over again. A great riff, with as spooky and psychedelic tone as any song ever was. I have never understood why it is panned in many of the books that look at the music of the group. I am glad to see that there are others out there who like as well.

Cheers- Tralf

Absolutely one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes. Jones' work on it is awesomely sublime. The Unledded version is positively awesome, but one thing I've always dreamed about hearing from a Zeppelin live show would be a bare-bones electric Four Sticks. It's the ultimate rumbling, grinding, slowly charging Zeppelin riff. Makes me feel like I'm in a tank at war just plowing ahead despite everything.

What I'd like to know and I can't tell from the recording is whether Jimmy used the doubleneck on it and Gallow's Pole. It kind of sounds chimey.

I've heard it and would think it's definetaly the twin-neck. He's probably experimenting with it at this early stage of repertoir, seeing what songs it would suit. The contrast between single note riff in Four Sticks and the chords works beautifully with the 6/12.

Archived