John Bonham Or Jason Bonham?

Mr. Big

John Bonham is and always will be the best drummer of all time

Jason is in my top 10 i have seen him play a couple of times .He one of the best but to my mind he is the only drummer i would want to see in that seat with Led Zeppelin for any reunion shows. The torch has been passed.

I totally agree with you 100%. This question stirs up a lot of emotions, on one hand should there even be a comparison, on the other does Jason fill dads shoes better than anyone can? Like you said, I too would only feel that Zeppelin could still be Zeppelin if Jason was on the sticks. That seat is sacred, and can only be passed on to the one taught and nurtured by the greatest drummer ever "John Henry Bonham", and that is Jason. I remember back in 1980 when my dreams of finally seeing them in concert were snatched away with the tragic news of Bonzo's passing, although heart broken I was total content with the bands decision to not tour. After all they were no long truly Led Zeppelin. May he rest in peace as his legacy lives on in his music and our souls.

I totally agree with you 100%. This question stirs up a lot of emotions, on one hand should there even be a comparison, on the other does Jason fill dads shoes better than anyone can? Like you said, I too would only feel that Zeppelin could still be Zeppelin if Jason was on the sticks. That seat is sacred, and can only be passed on to the one taught and nurtured by the greatest drummer ever "John Henry Bonham", and that is Jason. I remember back in 1980 when my dreams of finally seeing them in concert were snatched away with the tragic news of Bonzo's passing, although heart broken I was total content with the bands decision to not tour. After all they were no long truly Led Zeppelin. May he rest in peace as his legacy lives on in his music and our souls.

Very nice! B)

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...

Jason Bonham is a great drummer, no doubt, but there is no comparison with his father. Jason would probably say the same. This is a lot like trying to rate the best Rock drummers of all time. Like the silly Top Ten lists that include drummer’s like Ringo and Keith Moon.  Of course their chops can’t be compared with those of Jon Bonham and Stewart Copeland, but they were  the best drummers for their respective bands.