Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes thread

leddy

This a place to talk about the best ever tv series Life on Mars and soon to be epic i(ts sequel) Ashes to Ashes !!

If anyone doesn't know what this is about ....Life on Mars ..Sam Tyler is hit by a car in 2006, then wakes up in 1973 and steps into another world when the Police were a different species. In the two series of LOM Sam tries to find out if he is a time traveller, mad , dreaming or in a coma !! The music in the background to each episode is drawn form the early 70's and is a train spotters delight picking out all the classics, Immigrant song was used as a trailer for this show !!!

I loved the way all the detail of 1973 was so cool and brought back memories of being 7 yrs old, and remembering all that went on !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifeonmars/

On the completion of the 2nd series the actor who played Sam wanted to leave and it was decided that they would conclude the series to just two series which adds to it cult classic status, the ending was such a perfect ending, if you haven't seen this yet go buy DVDs now !! !! The BBC had to carry on somehow so now on Feb 7th Thurs 9pm the Sequel Ashes to Ashes starts, keeping The wonderful Dci Hunt from Life on Mars but this time we are taken back to 1981 (oh god I was 15, this will be memory lane) and a new story begins...I can't wait...I hope there are other fans of LOM and also A2A :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/...estoashes.shtml

Unfortunately I didn't catch much of Life on Mars apart from a few episodes which were awesome so I intend to watch the sequel Ashes to Ashes from start to finish. I've heard good things about it

Unfortunately I didn't catch much of Life on Mars apart from a few episodes which were awesome so I intend to watch the sequel Ashes to Ashes from start to finish. I've heard good things about it

Good stuff, I do urge you to watch the reruns if they come on or DVD of Life on Mars as it is as you say awsome !! :)

MASSIVE fan - fantastic programme, best in years.

That's pretty much my opinion too!

I was worried that Ashes to Ashes wouldn't be as good, but after seeing that trailer it totally brought back how much i enjoyed Life on Mars.

In one word, Genius. Or is that Gene ius? :D

Wow, 7th Feb!

We had a thread about this on the old forum Leddy! MASSIVE fan - fantastic programme, best in years.

I know I started that forum lol..glad your a fan !! :)

That's pretty much my opinion too!

I was worried that Ashes to Ashes wouldn't be as good, but after seeing that trailer it totally brought back how much i enjoyed Life on Mars.

In one word, Genius. Or is that Gene ius? :D

Wow, 7th Feb!

Yes I know how you felt as LOM was and is such a classic, but as you say once you see the trailer on A2A its like oh yes this looks great !!

Fire up the Quatro :D

Ah, marvellous... Just watched the first episode of Ashes to Ashes.

If that skirt was hitched any higher, I'd be able to see your breakfast! (something like that)

Welcome back, DCI Hunt!

The use of music is genius, just like in LOM.

Ah, marvellous... Just watched the first episode of Ashes to Ashes.

If that skirt was hitched any higher, I'd be able to see your breakfast! (something like that)

Welcome back, DCI Hunt!

The use of music is genius, just like in LOM.

Yes it was really great wasn't it, the music took me back !! and I thought the leading lady did a good job, totally diff to Sam's part !!

So Sam lived until 1980 !! and to top it off someone today bought me a belated birthday prez of both box sets to series one and two of LOM !! great !!

We are in for some classic DCI Hunt words of wisdom..like Seeing you in the leather is giving me the horn !!!

We are in for some classic DCI Hunt words of wisdom..like Seeing you in the leather is giving me the horn !!!

Just caught the first Episode, what a great start, loved the homage to Miami Vice as they boated it down some canal packing more weaponary than the British army. Brilliant

We had a thread about this on the old forum Leddy! MASSIVE fan - fantastic programme, best in years.

Aye!

Here is a great pisstake on LOM as Camberwick Green !!

Haha...I love that.

Ashes To Ashes was great actually...can't wait for the next episode!

It's just ace to have Gene Hunt back on the telly (even though I spend half my time watching Life On Mars on demand anyway :lol:).

Something's been really annoying me...you know that girl who was playing WPC Shazza or whatever her name was in Ashes To Ashes? The one that seems to be starting a bit of a thing with Chris?

WHAT THE HELL ELSE HAS SHE BEEN IN?!

It's one of them.... :angry:

:lol:

I wasn't sure about it actually. Some of the "Ta-da!" music was a bit cringey

- you know what I mean "Sam's dead!" - ta-da! here comes the mad cops - Ta-da! and Gene seemed a bit of a parody of himself at times - to the point of being unbelieveable ( ie the Miami Vice bit alluded to, standing at the helm of a speedboat with a machine gun - fer feck's sake!). Put it this way, straight after, they showed the last episode of Life On Mars on Beeb 4 and I watched it again and it was SOOOOOOOOOO much better (and funnier). John Simm was ace.

This new one will take getting used to for me.

Something's been really annoying me...you know that girl who was playing WPC Shazza or whatever her name was in Ashes To Ashes? The one that seems to be starting a bit of a thing with Chris?

WHAT THE HELL ELSE HAS SHE BEEN IN?!

It's one of them.... :angry:

:lol:

See if this jogs your memory: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1402751/

I kind of recognised her too. I think the thing I'm most likely to have seen her in is Saxondale, she was in one episode of that.

I wasn't sure about it actually. Some of the "Ta-da!" music was a bit cringey

- you know what I mean "Sam's dead!" - ta-da! here comes the mad cops - Ta-da! and Gene seemed a bit of a parody of himself at times - to the point of being unbelieveable ( ie the Miami Vice bit alluded to, standing at the helm of a speedboat with a machine gun - fer feck's sake!). Put it this way, straight after, they showed the last episode of Life On Mars on Beeb 4 and I watched it again and it was SOOOOOOOOOO much better (and funnier). John Simm was ace.

This new one will take getting used to for me.

WE watched the last episode of LOM straight after !! the last ten Min's and the ending still give me goosebumps !! When Bowie sings LOM when Sam is on top of the building and starts to run...oh my god gooses bumps !!

Yes it was a bit of a send up really on A2A, but I think and hope that this will make it individual to LOM and then have its own identity (it cannot ever beat LOM, bit like you seeing Zep at Kneb and O2, the Kneb gig to you is the one I imagine :) ).

But great to see Gene on the screen kicking everyone out of touch lol !!

See if this jogs your memory: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1402751/

I kind of recognised her too. I think the thing I'm most likely to have seen her in is Saxondale, she was in one episode of that.

Ah...according to that site she was in Nathan Barley, so it's probably that I've seen her in.

I still can't quite picture it though!

I might have to get my NB DVD on the go.

It's a shame I never saw a piece of LOM or A2A. I don't know if LOM was ever transmitted here in Germany but I would love to have the DVD.

How is its exact title and where can I get it?

Tinkerbell

Here is the complete Life on Mars dvds of series I and II..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LPQ...CFQ2HlAodNEk5Ng

Episode 3 of Ashes to Ashes was great, the best one so far.

Yep, that was my favourite one yet too.

Bit of a coincidence too that that episode aired on the day that the Ipswich murderer got convicted too, I thought!

Archived