A sad day for album-themed-rock-and-roll-radio

zosodude13

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...NEWS01/80207007

WCMF owner: Talks end, Wease out

Victoria E. Freile

Staff writer

Post Comment

February 7, 2008 5:28 pm : Officials from Entercom Rochester today announced that the company has discontinued contract negotiations with longtime radio personality Brother Wease.

And as of this morning, WCMF-FM (96.5) also pulled "Radio Free Wease" promotions from the popular morning show, station officials confirmed.

"We did our best to try and bring Wease back to WCMF but in the end, were not able to reach an agreement.," Entercom Regional Vice President, Michael Doyle said today in a printed statement. "We understand that he intends to pursue other opportunities."

As of today, the station’s morning show will be called "The Men's Room."

"I'm heartbroken," Alan "Brother Wease" Levin said this afternoon, "and I've just lost 22 years of broadcasting because that all goes away." He added, "I'll be back," but said he was unable to give details about his future plans because is "muzzled by lawyers."

Entercom bought WCMF and WPXY-FM (97.9) from CBS Radio in December and terminated the contracts of five veteran DJs, including WCMF's Dave Kane and WPXY's Pete Kennedy.

Brother Wease, the host of WCMF's popular morning-drive radio program, was taken off the air last month while he renegotiated a new contract.

In his absence, Wease's morning crew, which includes Tom Mule and Sally Carpenter, broadcasted the show without him.

"Over the past month, we have heard very positive comments about the show we have been putting on the air," Doyle said. "We are excited by the prospect of taking the show in a different direction with some new stars."

Entercom did not say who specifically would be featured in the new morning show.

The station's Web site, www.wcmf.com, once included information about Wease and his show but is now listed to be under construction. No information about "The Men's Room" was available on the site.

However, the "Radio Free Wease" Web site, www.brotherwease.com, is still online and includes information about recent and upcoming guests.

------------------------------------------

WCMF is a legend and one of the first underground rock radio stations in the country... its sad to see what cooperate America has done to good radio...

this guy is a lengendary DJ, beat cancer and was an icon here in Rochester...

Entercom is really fucking things up here in Rochester... I think all of Rochester would appreciate it if it would all just stop

The station sucks and I couldn't ever bare their chats...so freaking boring. Radio show hosts always are. And it was pointless to post this here because the people here don't know who you're talking about or care. Do yourselves a favor and stop listening to the radio.

The station sucks and I couldn't ever bare their chats...so freaking boring. Radio show hosts always are. And it was pointless to post this here because the people here don't know who you're talking about or care. Do yourselves a favor and stop listening to the radio.

Speak for yourself. Even though I switched to satellite a couple of years ago I still care very much about rock n' roll radio.

What is it you care about in regards to the topic?

The better question is, why do you care? You just told the person that started this thread that they shouldn't have even have created it because no one would care, which you were quite obviously wrong about or no one would have responded (yourself included). Now all of sudden you want to interrogate me about why I care? Perhaps you missed it but you'll find your answer in my previous post, because I care about the current state of rock n' roll radio.

Interrogating :lol:...anyway, I was referring to the specific station. As you can see, the only people who have posted in this thread aside from yourself are from the area and the only reason you posted is because I said people like yourself wouldn't care.

Interrogating :lol:...anyway, I was referring to the specific station. As you can see, the only people who have posted in this thread aside from yourself are from the area and the only reason you posted is because I said people like yourself wouldn't care.

Picking more fights with people?? First it's avatars, now this. I'm sure there are more. Go find what remains of those 74 pictures.

Interrogating :lol:

Yeah, that's what I'd call it. You went out of your way to post in a thread you think shouldn't even exist then started in on me with your asinine questioning. WTF?

...anyway, I was referring to the specific station. As you can see, the only people who have posted in this thread aside from yourself are from the area and the only reason you posted is because I said people like yourself wouldn't care.

You left yourself out of that equation, you also posted. Yes, I posted partially because you said no one else cared (way to speak for the whole fucking board) but you missed the bigger point, I posted because I care about the current state of rock n' roll radio. I could give a shit if it's a station I've never heard of or not.

I don't interrogate people. If you don't want to answer a simple question, that's fine, but don't accuse me of doing something I wasn't. My sole point was that people here don't need to hear about some DJ from Rochester being fired from his job.

I wondered as well why I should care about a local radio station in the US. It sure is sad if you're a fan but as a thread topic it seems a bit pointless.

Picking more fights with people??

Isn't that exactly what you're trying to do here? :huh:

I don't interrogate people.

Yeah, you do. Unless you're incapable of reading your own posts.

If you don't want to answer a simple question, that's fine, but don't accuse me of doing something I wasn't.

I answered your damn question. Can't you fuckin' read?

My sole point was that people here don't need to hear about some DJ from Rochester being fired from his job.

How do you know what here don't need to know? Is this YOUR board? Besides, ff you don't care, what did you post in the thread? Obviously some of us do care or we wouldn't have contributed to the thread.

I don't interrogate people. If you don't want to answer a simple question, that's fine, but don't accuse me of doing something I wasn't. My sole point was that people here don't need to hear about some DJ from Rochester being fired from his job.

Little known fact: Before CDs, tapes and mp3 players, most people got all their music via the radio. DJs - especially longtime rock DJs who pushed and promoted the medium and created the influx of FM stations - are very much on topic. I want to hear about it. Many others who actually LISTEN to rock radio or have in their lifetime want to know.

I know you're 20 and you think the world didn't begin until you were born. If you don't care, put your ear buds back in, fire up your iPod, ignore the history of music and leave the thread.

I came into this thread because I recognized the station and DJ and I posted because I knew no one else would. I stand by what I said and have nothing more to say about it. I've always looked at interrogation as being incessant and prying questioning, but now I understand that technically it isn't always.

You've already called me that, try something new.

No thanks. Besides, it fits.

*edit--

I know you're 20 and you think the world didn't begin until you were born.

Excuse you--no, I don't.

I came into this thread because I recognized the station and DJ and I posted because I knew no one else would.

Strike one. You were wrong. Quite obviously several people have posted in this thread. Who the fuck do you think you are, Miss Cleo? Hell, even psychics are wrong every once in a while. Not even she could predict her own bankruptcy.

I stand by what I said and have nothing more to say about it.

Somehow, I doubt it. In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and predict we haven't heard the last from you on this subject

Whatever. If I hadn't said anything, those two would be the only posters in this thread. That is a fact and that is my point.

Unless you're somehow clairvoyant I'd say you don't know shit and you continue to prove it with each post you add to this thread. You know, the one you knew no one would be interested in.

Kumbuya Lord...Kumbuya.....:D

I care about this thread !!

I like Kissy's tenacity though too.....she's a whippersnapper !!!! :lol:

I've had SIRIUS for the last couple of weeks in my 'rent-a-car'....and have been listening to the Little Steven show...and the ELVIS channel ! amongst others as well. Over the air is sucking more and more though...it's harder to find the good stations, but a few still remain. LONG LIVE sticky cd wrappers !!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: Ooops, a different thread.

Strike one. You were wrong. Quite obviously several people have posted in this thread.

I meant no one on the forums besides the three of us have heard of the DJ and the station--which is true. Based on that, no one aside from us would post here: Duh. I mean, unless it were a really interesting story and it isn't.

Somehow, I doubt it. In fact, I'll go out on a limb here and predict we haven't heard the last from you on this subject

I didn't say I wouldn't be back to the thread. Unfortunately for me, I am back to explain what I've said.

Ok, so maybe hes a guy only a select few of us have ever heard of... but this goes beyond that... this is about what is happening to FM rock and roll radio... this is where it all started...

someone mentioned before about when there wasnt CD's, records, mp3's... there was underground RNR radio...

also, Brother Wease does more then talk radio... he also hosted "The Underground Garage" where we could hear rare artists from the 60's all the way till today...

where would RNR be today without FM radio legends like Wolfman Jack? so this is something to care about beyond those of us who live in Rochester and upstate NY

Archived