A sad day for album-themed-rock-and-roll-radio

zosodude13

also, Brother Wease does more then talk radio... he also hosted "The Underground Garage" where we could hear rare artists from the 60's all the way till today...

Does this have anything to do with Steve Van Zandt's (E-Street Band, Sopranos) radio program of the same name?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear that an icon is gone. Corporate radio is ONLY interested in the bottom line.

Integirty with the music selection is non-existent.

But here's what bothers me.... WHY do we need a big name "PERSONALITY" to pick and play great Album Rock tracks ? WHY THE FUCK IS ALL OF THIS "PERSONALITY" DRIVEN ? ? ?

I would happy to just hear great album rock DJed by any sincere DJ.

"IT'S THE MUSIC, STUPID" to Paraphrase the saying.

Jesus fucking Christ. :rolleyes:

Someone makes a post about a radio station they loved-one that other people may have also heard and loved. And it turns to this ridiculous shit. Really fucking stupid.

Also, though the majority of us live elsewhere, we can also relate stories of great radio stations that somehow went down the shitter. Or simply stations that bring back cool memories.

What the bloody fuck?

It's best not to pay any attention to the likes of Kissandra and Jethro Tull (the ledzep.com member, not the band). If they want to tell people what and how to post I suggest they start their own boards.

Sounds like a reasonable assessment to me. ;)

Not every thread here is going to appeal to everyone. The sooner people get that through their heads, the better it will be for everyone.

It's best not to pay any attention to the likes of Kissandra and Jethro Tull (the ledzep.com member, not the band). If they want to tell people what and how to post I suggest they start their own boards.

I could say the same about you. I speak my mind, always have. Don't make assumptions about me in general based on my opinion of this thread. That would make you ignorant.

I could say the same about you. I speak my mind, always have. Don't make assumptions about me in general based on my opinion of this thread. That would make you ignorant.

Except I don't tell people what and how to post as you did in this thread and "Jethro Tull" has done in countless threads by now. Just how else am I to base my opinion on you than your comments on this thread on what we should post or not? For a topic no one would be interested in it sure has received several responses. Even if you had kept your mouth shut I'm sure it still would have garnered some replies. So much for your clairvoyant skills (or in this case, the lack thereof).

Again, if you want to regulate what we're allowed to post, start your own fucking board.

Except I don't tell people what and how to post as you did in this thread and "Jethro Tull" has done in countless threads by now. Just how else am I to base my opinion on you than your comments on this thread on what we should post or not? For a topic no one would be interested in it sure has received several responses. Even if you had kept your mouth shut I'm sure it still would have garnered some replies. So much for your clairvoyant skills (or in this case, the lack thereof).

Again, if you want to regulate what we're allowed to post, start your own fucking board.

Couldn't agree more.

Nothing like having some snotty kid tell the rest of us what posts are relevant and what are not. :rolleyes:

With that said, I'm glad there's an "ignore user" feature. Now's a good time to add to the list.

The story interests me, and I'm not from the area. A lot of us remember (because it was not long ago) when radio was important to rock and roll, and there were Dj's who did a lot to promote bands and introduce new music. Without DJ's who stuck up for them, some bands would have never reached our ears. Some other thread was talking about a guy in Seattle who relentlessly played Zep, way back in the beginning.

Radio has changed very much, in large part because of corporate takeovers. They became more repetetive and bland. You stopped hearing deep tracks from albums. I could go on. This is a worthy topic.

Jesus fucking Christ. :rolleyes:

Someone makes a post about a radio station they loved-one that other people may have also heard and loved. And it turns to this ridiculous shit. Really fucking stupid.

Also, though the majority of us live elsewhere, we can also relate stories of great radio stations that somehow went down the shitter. Or simply stations that bring back cool memories.

What the bloody fuck?

that sums up the initial post in the first place...

I made a post about a famous DJ in upstate NY, and hoping people who lived near there would post their thoughts

and for the people who have never heard of wease (like jahfin and you) might be interessted about how classic FM radio is changing in this time

that was all I wanted... not a fucking war about how relevant the thread is...

-----------------------------------

and jahfin, I didnt fully/correctly explain about the underground garage...

WCMF does broadcast Little Steven's Underground Garage... but Wease used to keep playing tracks after the show was over, and it was along the same lines of what was played... Wease would continue for about another 40 minutes to an hour playing the artists/theme featured on the garage...

hope that clears things up

on another note, you mentioned you where intesested in the state to RNR radio, but never really got a chance to explain yourself before everything went out of control... so what do you think of all this?

The story interests me, and I'm not from the area. A lot of us remember (because it was not long ago) when radio was important to rock and roll, and there were Dj's who did a lot to promote bands and introduce new music. Without DJ's who stuck up for them, some bands would have never reached our ears. Some other thread was talking about a guy in Seattle who relentlessly played Zep, way back in the beginning.

Radio has changed very much, in large part because of corporate takeovers. They became more repetetive and bland. You stopped hearing deep tracks from albums. I could go on. This is a worthy topic.

:notworthy:

I remember when I was younger KSAN in SF was a groundbreaker in what they used to call "underground rock". They even played Zep boots, where I heard "No Quarter" live for the first time. Seattle 1973, to be exact. I heard songs you'd never hear anywhere else. Including some hilarious, uncensored stuff. I learned a LOT about music as a teen, listening to that station.

Nowadays it's all about "hits". :angry:

that sums up the initial post in the first place...

I made a post about a famous DJ in upstate NY, and hoping people who lived near there would post their thoughts

and for the people who have never heard of wease (like jahfin and you) might be interessted about how classic FM radio is changing in this time

that was all I wanted... not a fucking war about how relevant the thread is...

I know. I thought it was an excellent topic. Still is, now that we've got the ship righted. :)

and jahfin, I didnt fully/correctly explain about the underground garage...

WCMF does broadcast Little Steven's Underground Garage... but Wease used to keep playing tracks after the show was over, and it was along the same lines of what was played... Wease would continue for about another 40 minutes to an hour playing the artists/theme featured on the garage...

hope that clears things up

Thanks.

on another note, you mentioned you where intesested in the state to RNR radio, but never really got a chance to explain yourself before everything went out of control... so what do you think of all this?

If you're referring to me, even though I signed up for satellite radio a few years ago I am still very interested in rock n' roll radio in general. I use to work in the medium myself but more importantly, I grew up listening to rock n' roll radio so it's something that's very near and dear to my heart. I can't even begin to count the hours I stayed up late listening to programs like Rockline or locally oriented programs such as All Night Albums that used to run on WQDR out of Raleigh back in the day. They changed formats in 1984 but I taped them relentlessly in those last days before they went off the air, they're still tapes I listen to very frequently and hold many very fond memories for me.

The AOR stations are now the classic rock stations, and won't play anything new. What's weirder is that they'll play some old stuff they wouldn't have been caught dead playing back then.

Right after my last post, I thought of 3 local stations, just off the top of my head, that used to be cool but now are 100% formulaic.

The AOR stations are now the classic rock stations, and won't play anything new. What's weirder is that they'll play some old stuff they wouldn't have been caught dead playing back then.

Right after my last post, I thought of 3 local stations, just off the top of my head, that used to be cool but now are 100% formulaic.

Yeah, the local "classic rock" station here is abysmal. Sure, you hear the occasional Zep track, but it's always one of the "hits". And then you get all that 70's cheesy "prog-rock" junk, pop rock acts like Foreigner (forgive me, Jason!) and "Freebird" is played at least 70 times a day. Baaaaaarrrfffff......

No comparison. I mean NONE.

The old stations opened our eyes, ears and minds. The new ones make me play CD's exclusively.

WQDR, which I mentioned in my previous post was a "flagship" station for the "AllStars" format back in the day which was something dreamed up by Lee Abrams (who now works for XM). Thing is, back then they actually did play deep album cuts and new stuff by local, regional, national and international artists but it also paved the way for "classic rock" radio where the same songs are played over and over again by the same core artists. WQDR passed the torch to WRDU in 1984 but in recent years WRDU became just another "classic rock" station and lost all the creativity in their format. They too recently changed formats (also to country). I only know of one non-Clear Channel controlled station in the area now (96 Rock, also out of Raleigh) but since signing up for satellite radio I haven't looked back.

Yeah, we have a station that used to play a good varity of Zepp tunes, but now only play a few...over and over. It was great to see my teenager's eyes pop out this morning when I played "The Crunge" for her in the car.

We also used to have a "modern rock" kind of station in the 80's that also played jazz, folk, fusion...now they play what I guess I could only describe as adult contempoary shit over and over.

But later, of course, once all the corporate types got ahold of the seattle scene and called it Grunge, nobody knew what the hell to do with it and put it on the alternative station (which probably came to be at about the same time, if I recall). Then suddenly, there were these retro stations, playing all 70's, or 80's. For fuck's sake, I was about 30 years old thinking, "am I supposed to be nostalgic already!?"

I am 37 and I can safely say that except for public radio and Little Steven's show (on our classic rock station) FM seems pretty much kaput.

I also remember the first "Modern Rock" station in my area. I loved it not because of the music they played but because of the music they didn't play. In other words, the same worn out shit that had been played to death by "Classic Rock" radio. It also didn't take long for someone's idea of "alternative" to go from R.E.M., the Cure, the Alarm, U2, the Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. to Hootie and the Blowfish and Matchbox Twenty. That's when the term "alternative" began to lose all meaning to me. The clincher was when Metallica was named to headline Lollapalooza.

I also remember the first "Modern Rock" station in my area. I loved it not because of the music they played but because of the music they didn't play. In other words, the same worn out shit that had been played to death by "Classic Rock" radio. In also didn't take long for someone's idea of "alternative" to go from R.E.M., the Cure, the Alarm, U2, the Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc. to Hootie and the Blowfish and Matchbox Twenty. That's when the term "alternative" began to lose all meaning to me. The clincher was when Metallica was named to headline Lollapalooza.

You hit the nail on the head.

Sorry to hear that an icon is gone. Corporate radio is ONLY interested in the bottom line.

Integirty with the music selection is non-existent.

But here's what bothers me.... WHY do we need a big name "PERSONALITY" to pick and play great Album Rock tracks ? WHY THE FUCK IS ALL OF THIS "PERSONALITY" DRIVEN ? ? ?

I would happy to just hear great album rock DJed by any sincere DJ.

"IT'S THE MUSIC, STUPID" to Paraphrase the saying.

Well, I agree with your logic to an extent. But this is a differant circumstance. This guy was very popular, I met him several times, always gave away free dinners and tickets to events to callers, etc. So in a way you are wrong. If you ever listened to him for an hour you would agree. I will pop in CDs. The station and their business headed bastards can go to hell in a handbasket. I would never have seen Led Zeppelin if it were not for the person in the station. (he was shot to death in a robbery a couple of years ago-case unsolved). And he was black and you wouldnt know it by his voice on the air. He did the graveyard for years. He was known as Uncel Rog. Are you reading this mr Jethro Bodine? The one that accused me of being a racist. You have to listen to some talk radio. I mean, to discuss upcoming events in town and to talk about what is going on in the world of music, etc. So to your claim that we only need to hear the music 24/7-you are wrong dude!!!

I'm not against a "rare" personality the likes of what you are speaking of....

But... in the larger scheme of things.... for local radio....All Across the US, I was -not- saying that there should be ONLY Music 24/7. Local DJs that love what they play (Not DJs who Love their "pay" and will play anything the Program Directoer/Consultant insitsts they play) should be introducing the songs. There's not enough of these "rare" exceptional DJ Personalities to go around. But, I do want something other than Commercial Hit Rock, any, if you can hire and keep a personality to play great rock, then do it !

I'd rather hear the deep tracks and great Rock cuts spun by a nobody, than to hear the same old hits, with "stories" to go with those same old hits, spun by any big name personality, no matter how "cool" they might be. Because playing mainly the comercial hits, is, in itself, -not cool-. :angry:

But that doesn't speak to the individuals you personally have known, and I understand that.

But in reference to the Title of the Thread... Album-themed R&R Radio can be done very nicely, either with a big personality, or with a nobody, that sincerely loves the music.

That's the only point I'm making.

You were Lucky to have such a rare personality on album rock radio. Radio today is just looking for innane Mornging show hosts to get the blue collar wokers to work, and to amuse the stay at home mothers... I'm not amused.... By the song lists... what they do include.... and even moreso... what they --do not-- include. :)

It's a myth that radio announcers get to handpick their playlists, this goes goes back to the 70s. Even then playlists were determined by consultants via market research. Even college radio (aside from speciality shows) use pre-determined setlists the majority of the time. I love Deep Tracks on XM but I also know they do the same thing. Only thing is, due to being freed from commercial restraints, they have a lot more freedom to play things outside the norm and songs that would have never been played on commercial radio due to their length.

What's cheesy too..and even was back in the 70s...

When they'd take listener requests....they'd usually just record the phone calls...then play them at an opportune time...and only pick the requests that fell into line with what they would play anyway.

Someone requesting an obscure tune would very RARELY get recognized. It was so planned and predictable....:rolleyes:

What's cheesy too..and even was back in the 70s...

When they'd take listener requests....they'd usually just record the phone calls...then play them at an opportune time...and only pick the requests that fell into line with what they would play anyway.

Someone requesting an obscure tune would very RARELY get recognized. It was so planned and predictable....:rolleyes:

That may be so but there would be no way in hell an announcer could take a call live on the air and then find the song and cue it up that quickly, all while talking to the caller. The only way around it would be to record the phone call, then find the song they requested. Otherwise you're right on the money, if they requested something off the wall we were instructed to suggest a much less obscure song. On the other hand, when I'd call WQDR/WRDU in Raleigh and request something obscure my request was usually met. This included I Eat In My Car by SC's The Killer Whales, I Believe by R.E.M., Walk and Don't Look Back by Peter Tosh w/Mick Jagger, Belong by R.E.M. and countless others. Then again, these were stations in a bigger market where they could get away with playing lesser known tunes.

Archived