Jimmy's Wit

Cat

Came across these examples:

Number one

Excerpts from Black Crowes official website:

AOL Live and AOL Music presented a chat with Jimmy Page, legendary cofounder of Led Zeppelin, and The Black Crowes' Chris Robinson. They talked about their brand new album together called "Live at the Greek."

March 1, 2000

Question: Hello, Jimmy. I think everyone's always wanted to know this one: Are you ever going to shed some light on your "zoso" symbol for the public? Thanks!

Jimmy Page: No. I can't even pronounce it.

Question: Hi, my name is Henry. I used to play bass for a rock group called the Treadgills in the '70s,and I lost a little hearing. Have any of you guys had a hearing [loss as a] result of the loud amps?

Jimmy Page: WHAT WAS THAT? Actually, my hearing is very good, believe it or not.

Question: Jimmy, what has been the driving force for you these last few years that has kept you working on so many projects and songs? -- Tonya

Jimmy Page: The fact that I should have been dead in 1992. (This is a recurring theme with him, isnt' it!)

Number two

From http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2948604

one of my music professors used to be a drinking buddy of his (JP). one time they went to a bar (I believe in london), and apparently it's a celebrity hang-out. she said a few people were there, the one name I remember (because it was so funny) was bob saget. everyone there was trying to avoid the fact that they all recognized each other. anyways, they sit down at the bar, and the barkeeper throws "kashmir" on. apparently jimmy started playing air guitar at one point and kinda smiled. he turned to my professor and said "catchy tune, innit?"

Oh, Jimmy can be deliciously snarky when he wants to be. :D There was that quip he made to an irritating Australian chat show host about getting a ten-necked guitar with a rim around it, so he could do cartwheels off the stage...

that's funny, right there....

I had a vcr tape of a video interview page did with a jouranlist, for the outrider record. They showed a segment from -the song remains the same of dazed and confused and the journalist commented to jimmy that he was just about to put a curse on the audience there. Page said something like " i'm usually cursing at the guitar".

He really is quite witty. Once he was asked what guitar he'd want if were stranded on a desert island and he said that he probably wouldn't want a guitar--he'd rather have an inflatable raft. Then (I think) Kat/b_b had one of his best as her sig for a while:

(I might not have it exactly right)

Q: What do you do on a typical day?

A: I'm not allowed out during the day. I have to lie in my satin-lined coffin.

He really is quite witty. Once he was asked what guitar he'd want if were stranded on a desert island and he said that he probably wouldn't want a guitar--he'd rather have an inflatable raft. Then (I think) Kat/b_b had one of his best as her sig for a while:

:lol: I remember those, as well as the cartwheel one mentioned above.

I also love that interview w/ him and Roy Harper from '84. :lol:

Oh, and does anyone remember that exact quote of his about how he never went to parties? And how he said he used to collect stamps. :lol: What/when was that one from actually? :unsure: I can't remember anymore.

I'm sure he was being completely serious about it, but it struck me as funny. :rolleyes:

^ I used to have the parties one in my sig, it was from an NPR radio interview in about 2005 if I remember rightly. I can't remember what the question was exactly--something like, were there particular songs that your generation used to make out to at parties (following up on an inane question about STH)? And he said, rather sadly, "I don't know, I didn't go to parties." I'm sure he was having her on... :lol:

Found this on the Alestair Crowley society site (LAShTAL.COM):

Thanks to monkey for pointing out this rather interesting little snippet from Ross Halfin's site:

Go to see Jamie Cullum with Jimmy

at the Albert Hall...

I get Jimmy to sign my hardback copy of Hammer Of The Gods (I think it's the only copy he's ever signed). He signed it "Maleus Malificarum"...

My learned friends here at LAShTAL.COM will be aware that Malleus Maleficarum is usually translated as "The Hammer Of Witches", showing that Jimmy hasn't lost his sophisticated sense of humour, even over that book...

For more about the Malleus Maleficarum, click here. "Malleus Maleficarum (1486) is the best known (i.e., the most infamous) of the witch-hunt manuals. Written in Latin, the Malleus was first submitted to the University of Cologne on May 9th, 1487. The title is translated as "The Hammer of Witches". Written by James Sprenger and Henry Kramer (of which little is known), the Malleus remained in use for three hundred years. It had tremendous influence in the witch trials in England and on the continent."

Here's a paragraph from a Guitar World interview I posted:

Okay, I'm ready", says Jimmy Page, clapping his hands together with a loud smack. "What are we going to talk about this time? Zeppelin? Again? Oh, gawd, didn't we already do this ?", he whines, rolling his black eyes skyward. I'm getting a severe case of deja vu. Well all right. Get out your surgeon's masks and thumb screws, I'm ready for dissection.

Question: Jimmy, what has been the driving force for you these last few years that has kept you working on so many projects and songs? -- Tonya

Jimmy Page: The fact that I should have been dead in 1992. (This is a recurring theme with him, isnt' it!)

Seems so. According to him, he should have been dead in 1974. :rolleyes:

Did I? :unsure: Now you really got me. I remember that quote very well, but I can't remember if it was me. Maybe it was.... :huh:

(And I think it was more like 'I usually lie in my satin-lined coffin, I'm not allowed out during daylight hours'...)

^ I used to have the parties one in my sig, it was from an NPR radio interview in about 2005 if I remember rightly. I can't remember what the question was exactly--something like, were there particular songs that your generation used to make out to at parties (following up on an inane question about STH)? And he said, rather sadly, "I don't know, I didn't go to parties." I'm sure he was having her on... :lol:

I think she asked him what did they play (on guitar) 'to impress girls at parties'.

God! Why do I remember so many unimportant things, intead of things I have to remember. :unsure::bagoverhead:

:thumbsup: Funny, I just found that very interview purely by accident after I posted that . I had it saved in my "favorites" section and had forgotten what it was. Sure enough, it was the one w/ that quote in it. :lol:

Oh yeah, here it is:

http://home.att.net/~chuckayoub/Led_Zeppelin_Sound_1.htm

Did I? :unsure: Now you really got me. I remember that quote very well, but I can't remember if it was me. Maybe it was.... :huh:

(And I think it was more like 'I usually lie in my satin-lined coffin, I'm not allowed out during daylight hours'...)

I think she asked him what did they play (on guitar) 'to impress girls at parties'.

I think it was you as well. I remember it well. :D

And yeah, that was the question she asked him. :lol:

Archived