Rory Gallagher

the.alchemist

The first record I ever had was RORY GALLAGHER/LIVE IN EUROPE,bought when it came out in 1972.You name it,blues,rock,folk,anything and Rory could do it and I've always thought that his lyrics and singing are hugely underated.Nice to see the man still remembered and so highly regarded.

this is a great topic!!! I knew it existed, but couldn't exactly post my quizz in here for obvious reasons. Of course he didn't join Deep Purple or The Stones, he stood tall on his own.

he very nearly did join the Stones after Taylor left, after an audition Keith offered him the job, but Rory said, 'no thanks mate, i don't really like your music' that's true as well :D

he very nearly did join the Stones after Taylor left, after an audition Keith offered him the job, but Rory said, 'no thanks mate, i don't really like your music' that's true as well :D

Where did you get that story from?! That would not only have been just completely out of character for Rory to say, but he did at least say something about what happened, and it hardly accords with this. He tried playing with them for a couple of days or so, and then had to fly away. He never heard from them again, that's all. From every single description I have ever seen of the man he was quite unusually polite, nice and pleasant; and moreover, in his own description of what happened (in an interview) he specifically said that he thought highly of the Stones and their music.

The situation seems to have been roughly this, that Jagger was really interested in having Rory in the band, and Keith, who was not in good shape at the time (he already had a five year heroin habit in 1974), apparently wasn't.

Yeah, it is still quite doubtful that it would have worked. Mick Taylor, aside from his serious drug problems, always had a hard time getting recognition for his musical ideas in the band. And the thing is, that if there was any area where Rory always wanted to have his way, that was with his music, and the only people that to my knowledge he could be tough on were his band mates (drummers).

As an example of how determined and driven the man was with respect to his music: He got Roger Glover to produce one of his albums in the 1970's, and that just didn't work (he still liked Roger as a person, though). The problem was simply that he didn't like being told what to do in his music, basically because the music was his voice, and his statement, I think.

He also had an intense dislike of hard drugs and didn't allow them in his band. What happened in the last years of his life is even sadder seen against that background. :(

Where did you get that story from?! That would not only have been just completely out of character for Rory to say, but he did at least say something about what happened, and it hardly accords with this. He tried playing with them for a couple of days or so, and then had to fly away. He never heard from them again, that's all. From every single description I have ever seen of the man he was quite unusually polite, nice and pleasant; and moreover, in his own description of what happened (in an interview) he specifically said that he thought highly of the Stones and their music.

I met Rory several times and he was lovely - gentle, quiet, modest. I'd be surprised if that quote is substantiated - a man with his music style surely can't have disliked the Stones anyway? :huh:

Yeah, I've read that he wanted to do his thing and not be part of any "band". They struggled to get it together with Taste and he got somewhat reluctant to be in a band again after Taste broke up. Like Knebby and Otto already pointed out, Rory was a very humble and nice person, so I find it hard that he ever said anything like that to Mick and Keith.

I met Rory several times and he was lovely - gentle, quiet, modest. I'd be surprised if that quote is substantiated - a man with his music style surely can't have disliked the Stones anyway? :huh:

:yesnod:

That's how I've always seen him described, and yeah, he did say he liked them.

Several times....

Just found this thread and it's a good one.

I saw Rory G. about '74 or '75, somewhere in there .... I dragged a chair into what these days would be called the mosh pit, and stood on it so I could better watch him play -- it was like watching that beat-up Strat breathe fire. As they say, he made it look easy.

There are quite many bootlegs out there, many of which contain really wonderful performances. At the moment I have these:

Taste – London Invasion (BBC, 1968-69)

Taste – Konserthuset, Stockholm, 18. September 1970

BBC Concerts, Paris Theatre, 12. August 1971 and 13. January 1972

Alternate BBC Sessions (Various dates, 1971-1977) - 2CDs

Golder's Green, London, 14. April 1974

Cowtown Ballroom, Kansas City, August 1974 - 3CDs

Belgium, 24. October 1974

Record Plant, 31. October 1975

The Bottom Line, New York, 8. February 1976

Gruga-Halle, Essen Rockpalast, 23. July 1977

Bordeaux, 19. October 1978 - 2CDs

Parkwest, Chicago, 9. November 1978

Agora Theater, Cleveland, 20. November 1978 - 2CDs

The Venue, London, 20. September 1979

Stockholm, 27. October 1979 - 2CDs

Reading Festival, 23. August 1980 – 2CDs

The Apollo, Glasgow, 1982 - 2CDs

Punchestown Festival, 18. July 1982

Geleen, 12. November 1987

Olympia Theatre, Dublin, 17. February 1988 – 2CDs

Olympia Theatre, Dublin, 18. February 1988 – 2CDs

Olympia Theatre, Dublin, 19. February 1988 – 2CDs

Olympia Theatre, Dublin, 20. February 1988 – 3CDs

Bonn Blues Festival, 1992 – 2CDs

Gampel, 21. August 1993 – 2CDs

Pistoia Festival, 2. July 1994

One thing to be noted is that the BBC recorded a lot of Rory. His brother Donal, who was also his manager, selected a 2CD compilation that is easily available, and great to have. However, it included less than half of the material, as he opted to see the album versions of the songs as definitive. The BBC bootlegs are especially recommended - the Paris Theatre gigs sound amazingly well, and it's Rory at his very best.

The 1988 Dublin set is audience recordings, with the inherent limitations of such recordings, but they also give a great sense of the atmosphere - he was loved in his home country! The late 1980's weren't a particularly good time for Rory, but he must have had a good time playing there.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived