LOAN AMOUNT LENDER TYPE INT TITLE

$2000000 0189 C 3743

TOTAL TAX TOTAL ASSD IMPRV LAND PERS PROP YEAR EXEMPTION

Curr $33316.47 $1,136,848 $789,242 $347,606 2010

Prev $33562.86 $1,064,471 $769,006 $295,465 2009

T Rate 2.9306 Tot SA Bal $39,759 PP Codes

Delinq 4 Transfer/R Deeded/R

INFORMATION DEEMED RELIABLE BUT NOT GUARANTEED 09/19/09 10:12 PM

...the document is more readable this this way...

A little more background info on the Las Vegas Ice Palace:

icepalace1967.jpg

...some additional details re. Ice Palace location.......

led zeppelin history mystery‏

Sent: September 21, 2009 9:11:05 AM

Cc: 'Pam Hartley-Kowalski' (pam50@cox.net)

I haven’t spoken to Pam. Lynn Zook said that in the email that I quoted, that Pam remembers going. I’m CC’ing her on this.

Has anyone! Spoken to Spencer Patterson, the Las Vegas Weekly author of the original 25 concerts story??? Who were his sources?

In the meanwhile, both Lynn and I have put up the story on our blogs to see if any of the readers can tell us anything.

I have no way of knowing how to go about finding bank or Irs records.

Any permits etc, would have to be from Clark County. The Ice Palace (and comm. Center) is NOT in the City of Las Vegas.

Jack

...I have responded to Mr. Levine, on my part, with the available information as per Timeline...

new information on the Ice Palace is noted likewise...

tks. to Mr. Levine..

Edited by PlanetPage

• Administrators

Before you guys start digging up IRS records.... :slapface::D

I've asked a member of Zep about the Vegas '69 show. He couldn't confirm the actual date, but definitely remembered the wood floors (as described in the Las Vegas Weekly article mentioned in the LZ Timeline ) and recalled staying at Ceasar's Palace Hotel).

Before you guys start digging up IRS records.... slapface.gifbiggrin.gif

I've asked a member of Zep about the Vegas '69 show. He couldn't confirm the actual date, but definitely remembered the wood floors (as described in the Las Vegas Weekly article mentioned in the LZ Timeline ) and recalled staying at Ceasar's Palace Hotel).

notworthy.gif...it's always nice to be put out of my misery.... biggrin.gif ...the search for even further substantiation continues...

:hysterical: You're funny, Sam. I knew you could ask 'somebody'.

And, he remembered the wood floors. Now That's a pretty solid memory.

Kudos! :)

duke-tell.jpg

E-Mail received from Pam Hartley-Kowalski (pam50@cox.net):

Iam sorry to say the only concert I attended at the Ice Palace was Iron Butterfly. I do seem to recall that concerts were in the summer months but I just don't have the recall people like Lynn Zook have. I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Best,

Pam

...I had searched any Iron Butterfly dates likewise with Zep...not even the Official Site responded...but Ms. Pam H-K has seen Iron Butterfly at Ice Palace...

The Doors confirmed performance Sat. Nov. 1: Las Vegas Ice Palace - Las Vegas, NV

http://www.doorshistory.com/doors1969.html

...this updates the facts on Michael Tell Promotions...

Addendum:

I received an additional e-mail...Ms. Pam is "doubtful" of IB concert she saw...I will update her response likewise...

Edited by PlanetPage

E-Mail received from Pam Hartley-Kowalski (pam50@cox.net):

Iam sorry to say the only concert I attended at the Ice Palace was Iron Butterfly. I do seem to recall that concerts were in the summer months but I just don't have the recall people like Lynn Zook have. I am sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Best,

Pam

...I had searched any Iron Butterfly dates likewise with Zep...not even the Official Site responded...but Ms. Pam H-K has seen Iron Butterfly at Ice Palace...

The Doors confirmed performance Sat. Nov. 1: Las Vegas Ice Palace - Las Vegas, NV

http://www.doorshistory.com/doors1969.html

...this updates the facts on Michael Tell Promotions...

Addendum:

I received an additional e-mail...Ms. Pam is "doubtful" of IB concert she saw...I will update her response likewise...

...I receive update re IB .......

Pam Hartley-Kowalski

The only reason I even remember this is because of a drum solo during In-A-Godda-Da-Vida. It went on way too long and the concert was not sic{new} me. That is the ONLY reason I even remember it was Iron Butterfly. I was, again, only 10-11 years old

I was wondering if Led Zeppelin ever performed in Las Vegas. I have checked the tour itinerary history on this website and I don't see any Las Vegas dates. I remember reading once they were booked to play the Las Vegas Convention Center, but Robert Plant had throat problems and it had to be cancelled. If anyone could tell me if they ever played Vegas, where and when would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

....ongoing thread otherwise...

Re: April 19, 1970 show...

I have done research through newspaperarchives.com and the Tucson Daily Citizen April 23, 1970 reports... fans kept from crashing the door to view the Led Zeppelin.....[/i]

(2) E-Mails from Las Vegas News Bureau:

At this point I have not been able to find any materials in our archives related to Led Zeppelin performing in Las Vegas during the dates you have given me. There is one lead that I will be searching is a rumor that Led Zeppelin was supposed to perform at the Las Vegas Convention Center but the concert was cancelled after the lead singers voice gave out. Apparently there was a near riot that ensued. If this was the case more than likely we will have some images. Again this was a rumor that will have to be confirmed.

Warm regards - Brian Paco...

I have not begun looking for the images at the Las Vegas Convention Center at this time. I am leaving tomorrow for a conference outside of Las Vegas tomorrow and I will not be able to get to this project until after I return on the 28th.

With regards - Brian Paco...

...that's all the related info...that I could provide...

Edited by PlanetPage

Interesting thread...I wonder if the student newspaper at the University of Las Vegas would have had an ad or review for this show at the time? College level kids would've been the primary audience for Led Zep in those days when they were still considered underground. Here's a link to the library: http://www.library.unlv.edu/.

:o ...just noticed that this has already been done...oh well, keep digging

Edited by thozil

I love this stuff. Really interesting work everyone. Its combining the best of Zep,archaeology,civic record research,networking with interested folks and romantic memories. Sort of like Indiana John Paul Jones.. :slapface:

Las Vegas seems to have an especially strong attraction in that it is/was a mystery date and also the city itself holds a mystique and energy about itself.

I've always thought it would be great if someone published a coffee table book chronicling the venues in which Zep played;photos of the actual houses of the holy.

....ongoing thread otherwise...

Re: April 19, 1970 show...

I have done research through newspaperarchives.com and the Tucson Daily Citizen April 23, 1970 reports... fans kept from crashing the door to view the Led Zeppelin.....[/i]

(2) E-Mails from Las Vegas News Bureau:

At this point I have not been able to find any materials in our archives related to Led Zeppelin performing in Las Vegas during the dates you have given me. There is one lead that I will be searching is a rumor that Led Zeppelin was supposed to perform at the Las Vegas Convention Center but the concert was cancelled after the lead singers voice gave out. Apparently there was a near riot that ensued. If this was the case more than likely we will have some images. Again this was a rumor that will have to be confirmed.

Warm regards - Brian Paco...

Here's the article. It was in reference to the 4/18/70 show at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix:

70-04-23az.jpg

Here are some ads, etc. for the 4/19/70 cancelled show:

70-04-19.jpg

Edited by mikezep61

Mike, I'm always impressed with your contributions here and elsewhere.

Thanks Steve. It's pretty obvious we all share a similar passion!

Here's another interesting little tidbit I found (from 4/23/69):

69-04-23LAtimes-icepalace.jpg

It wasn't even open for two years yet and they were already dumping it! Ironically enough, Bob Eubanks of "The Newlywed Game" fame ended up promoting a lot of shows at the Ice Palace. Here's an article from 5/31/73:

73-05-31BillboardIcePalace.jpg

Edited by mikezep61

Here's the article. It was in reference to the 4/18/70 show at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix:

70-04-23az.jpg

Here are some ads, etc. for the 4/19/70 cancelled show:

70-04-19.jpg

..tks for clarification and great info/photos...we will wait to see if there any images at the L.V. Convention Centre...

UP_CONVENTION_CENTER_ROAD_L.jpg

Thanks Steve. It's pretty obvious we all share a similar passion!

Here's another interesting little tidbit I found (from 4/23/69):

69-04-23LAtimes-icepalace.jpg

It wasn't even open for two years yet and they were already dumping it! Ironically enough, Bob Eubanks of "The Newlywed Game" fame ended up promoting a lot of shows at the Ice Palace. Here's an article from 5/31/73:

73-05-31BillboardIcePalace.jpg

..Radio Station Spots at Ice palace...KLUC... (The Grateful Dead Promoter relied on Radio rather than Print for March 29, 1969 Ice Palace Concert)...noted before, but actual Radio Station...to be looked into..

...Everley Brothers managed by B. Eubanks.. (Miss P. claims on Aug. 5/69 Her/Page went to the Palamino Club North Hollywood to see E. Brothers...to be confirmed further..

Received E-Mail from The G. Dead Promoter/Ice Palace March 29, 1969 Mr. Lepre this evening...

This was so long ago that I do not recall the names of the radio stations or the DJs. Also, I believe that all of the security was provided by the Ice Palace so I had no dealing with that. Really, this was a time in which very little security was needed so whatever there was it was minimal.

Yes they put a plywood prefabricated floor over the ice.

Dick Lepre

RPM Mortgage, Inc.

580 Pacific Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94133

..Radio Station Spots at Ice palace...KLUC... (The Grateful Dead Promoter relied on Radio rather than Print for March 29, 1969 Ice Palace Concert)...noted before, but actual Radio Station...to be looked into..

...Everley Brothers managed by B. Eubanks.. (Miss P. claims on Aug. 5/69 Her/Page went to the Palamino Club North Hollywood to see E. Brothers...to be confirmed further..

...ClassicVegas has an update...(I have seen Michael's comment earlier simply stating that Zep played the Ice Palace as oppose to Convention Centre as ClassicVegas reported..but after I posted a comment, he has now responded and gives us the following concert review as he claims to be present at the venue...Michael also claims there was an ticket (possible, a stamp/venue/print

I have researched radio station history/and Mikezep61 artilce does also mention KLUC soon after Mr. Lepre's email that Radio spots were purchased via KLUC...it was a day-time radio station...a concert, a event, at an Ice Palace, relatively major venue, MUST BE announced...this itself is a fact...and juding from the fanviews already present in timeline, the community in Las Vegas heard of this event...

http://classiclasvegas.squarespace.com/

From Ms. Lynn Zook of Classicvegas.....

One of our daily readers contacted me with his remembrance of Led Zeppelin playing Las Vegas, at the Ice Palace, in 1969:

In 1969, it was announced on KLUC tthat Led Zeppelin would be playing the Ice Palace. The Ice Palace was not THE major venue in town that would be the Convention Center. I was confused.

(this was confusion on Ms. Zook's Part, corrected by Reader Michael, earlier at Classicvegas.squarespace.com

Radio station Link:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://gapfel.com/radio/1930lvhs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gapfel.com/vegasradio/&usg=__QVGULjPxEjvMwQkC2U2flcS9OsY=&h=550&w=783&sz=95&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=A7fPUCwcGjv7wM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DJoe%2BJulian%2BRadio%2BLas%2Bvegas%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Michael's review......

Led who?

I went to Wonder World and found Led Zeppelin I. I recognized Jimmy Page from the Yardbirds, but who were Robert Plant, John Bonham and John Paul Jones? What was the big deal?

I called the Ice Palace. Maybe there was more to the story. I asked if it was true that Led Zeppelin was going to play the Ice Palace.

The guy said "Yeah." I responded, I swear: "Who else is playing with them?"

He treated me like the idiot I was and hung up on me. I bought tickets anyway. Jimmy Page was great.

There is a joke about rock singers: that they sing as though they are caught in their zipper.

It's true. The worst of them is Lou Gramm from Foreigner, but only slightly behind him was Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin. Plant sang as though his hair were on fire.

To front Led Zeppelin, however,that style was a necessity. He had to contend not only with Page and Jones but with drummer John "Bonzo" Bonham, who wore a dog collar for a good reason. He was an animal and had a bass drum foot that has never been equalled.

Plant sang for his life.

A moment happened during that first Led Zeppelin concert which, had I not been there, I would nothave believed.

Page was playing, as was his wont, extremely loud. Bonham could play soft, he just never did.

The band was playing "Dazed and Confused" which was, at that point, from their one and only album.

Plant's microphone failed. Nothing else, just Plant's microphone.

Plant did not miss a beat, neither did the mighty Led Zeppelin. Page sang, without the aid of amplification, over the cacophony of his band mates.

The Ice Palace was an acoustic nightmare. It was never intended to be used for a concert venue. I worked dozens of shows there as a stage hand and I could not be heard from the stage to the back of the rink, screaming with my hands cupped to my mouth.

But on that night in 1969, there was Robert Plant, without a microphone, belting out "Dazed and Confused" over the absolute onslaught of the world's loudest band.

I was standing near the back of the rink and I could hear every word, every syllable.

In my experience, no human I have seen has ever matched Plant's vocal power.

Thanks to Michael for sharing the story with us.

Do you have a story? Were you there that night in 1969? Send us an email and tell us your story!

If you have pictures, send us an email!

Help us help LedZeppelin.com find out more about this legendary concert.

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 at 12:11AM by Registered CommenterLasVegasLynn |

...trying to contact Michael further...

Edited by PlanetPage

• 2 weeks later...

...this is what I have got so far...

Very sincere thanks to Mr. Geroge Thoma Apfel - Las Vegas Radio History...

There were a number of memorable concerts at the Ice Palace-- IIRC the Doors, Zeppelin, and the Turtles did shows there.

http://classiclasvegas.squarespace.com/classic-las-vegas-blog/2009/9/25/led-zeppelin-did-play-las-vegas-ice-palace-in-1969.html#comments

Relevant excerpts from Emails I received From G.T. Apfel...

I even remember KENO doing a promotion where they gave away "Steel Wool" blacklight posters. You could get them at The Lollipop Shop in Parkway Plaza at Sahara & Maryland Parkway.

“Steel Wool” was a rock group, they may have been local to Las Vegas – I don’t think there is anything online about them.

The “Lollipop Shop” was a head shop—they sold incense, music, and a variety of items for those who enjoy smoking weed.

**Radio Station Broadcaster/Announcer in '69 was Mr. Jeff Colson -Unfortunately he has passed on, as I found it...it would have been fascinating to speak to him

Also, very thankful to Mr. Steve Miller of Original Teen Beat Club of Las Vegas (co-promoter of Grateful Dead/Ice Palace March 29, 1969)

His emails...

By the summer of 1969, I was no longer in the concert business. I do recall the Led Zeppelin concert taking place, but little about it comes to mind.

Ice palace...

It was a large room located on the side of a dilapidated shopping center on Sahara Ave. The ice was covered by boards, and there were bleacher type seats against three walls with folding chairs placed on the boarded up ice. A stage was erected at the far end of the room. There was also a restaurant on the second level with large windows so diners could look down on the skaters. I do not know if the restaurant was still open at the time of the rock concerts as I did not attend. I know nothing about tickets, but surmise that anyone who paid cash at the door was welcome.

- The Underground Band of Vegas...

The Weeds / The Lollipop Shoppe

FC: We started in Vegas but in October '66 moved to Portland. Originally we'd planned to migrate to San Fransisco but were broke and things we'd lined up fell through.

60s: What kind of things?

FC: A disc jockey in Las Vegas lined us up to play the opener for The Yardbirds first tour at the Filmore. It's the reason why we left Las Vegas. We thought if we went to San Francisco and played with The Yardbirds we could get a deal with someone there and just start happening. When we got to the Filmore they said it was bullshit, we were never on the bill and told us to split. We were so disgusted and dissapppointed we headed for Vancouver but ran out of gas and money in Portland. That's why we ended up there.

http://home.unet.nl/kesteloo/lollipop.html

Majority of the concert attendees remember Summer'69 - Here is the school term confirmation from Clark County School District...

August 25, 1969 - June 8, 1969.

...as I am sure there are other fans searching, this is what I have come up with so far. Highly likely the information will come from "Underground" scene. From my further readings on arrival of Howard Hughes in Vegas in '66, the Rock Concert/Scene was not promoted heavily in Las Vegas. The Culture of the 60's in Vegas is exceptional as compared to other Cities in U.S. at that time. This fact is also explained by Mr. Dick Lepre, (promoter of Grateful Dead) previously in this thread

...Still in contact with UNLV/search, I will obtain any transcript made available to me...I will post soon, it does take time to research...

Edited by PlanetPage

Outstanding! Slowly but surely additional recollections are coming to the fore thanks to your further pursuit.

..no need to thank SAJ...for the love of Zep, for all of us, the fans...I am sure it will happen soon...

..as you can probably judge from the school term...the concert probably happened in the "heart of summer" as most fanviews seems to indicate...IMO, also, Mid-Aug. is bit closer to back to school dates (Aug. 26)....just a thought...

IMO, also, Zep "probably" tried to see Elvis/July 31...but the likes of Sinatara, etc...2000+ celebrity guest list...no room at the International Hilton...so maybe they had to stay at the Caesar's Palace...

Just thoughts...nothing confirmed...

• 2 weeks later...

Las Vegas Free Press, Underground Newspaper, Published from Jan 1, 1970 - November 24, 1971, Publisher(and concert promoter Jay Tell, one of few in Las Vegas, all competing for the same market, same $$)

We were first to expose Las Vegas Sun publisher Hank Greenspun and Howard Hughes' CEO Robert Maheu, who fleeced the billionaire of $20 million cash, which became a major story for many years.The notorious Howard Hughes proxy battle would determine control of an empire. Bobby and I were in court when Federal Judge Roger Foley entered my paper into evidence, saying, from the bench, "The Las Vegas Free Press is the only newspaper in the nation to get the story straight."

http://www.allbutforgottenoldies.net/memoirs/bobby-darin/jay-tell-tribute.html

...Many Many thanks to Gabriella at Washington State University for her kindness to provide this rare Underground article painstakingly...

Zeppelin_1.jpg

.."nearly all teens who complain are quick to admit the "Zeppelin" is a fantastic group"

Zeppelin2.jpg

Mike_Tell_Ad.jpg

...I will post as I receive...

Edited by PlanetPage