King Crimson

zosodude13

It must've been a PM. B)

During the song, 'Starless', I think the last song before the encore, provided an intense sensory moment for the band and they repsonded in kind.

"This was the first gig since the 1969 Crimson where the bottom of my spine registered "out of this world" to the same degree. The 1969 outfit began at the top and then disappeared. This team took two years to get to the same point of being-out-there-ness. As the sun went down and we moved into the ominous bass riff emerging from the "Starless" vocal, red stage lights faded up from behind the band. For me, a stunning theatrical moment highlighting the tension within the piece and the group: a moment of resonance". - Robert Fripp

So if indeed your husband was at this, he was a lucky fellow indeed. :)

Here's another link to the many releases of King Crimson.

http://www.elephant-talk.com/discog/fripp/indexk.html

Thanks, Wesley! That's a great quote. The website looks fantastic. :)

My husband and I were both very fortunate to have been able to attend the concerts that we did back in the 70's. Neither of us would trade growing up in that era and having those musical experiences for anything. It sounds as if you've been lucky too. :D

One of the finest bands out there.

PINKFLOYDPSYCHMOUTHanimated.gif

^^^^^

awesome!!!

I just bought RED tonight (and my own copy of In the Court)... I'll listen of RED tonight and review it ASAP

I wish I could get the albums in order... but this was the only album they had at the moument... and I have JPJ's 2 solo CD's coming monday/tuesday... so I'll have to wait on Islands, Larks and Starless... I know where to get Starless, but I'll have to wait and see about the other two

4 down, 3 to go :):thumbsup::)B)

I'll go more in depth tomorrow...

obviosuly a great departure from Court, Poseidon and Lizard (the 3 I have currently heard)... I think the change would be in more understandable and more in line if I had heard Islands, Larks and Bible Black... Still there were those signs and tells that it was good ole' KC B)

best song, IMO, is the title track and Providence is a close second

a VERY modern sounding album for the times (1974, i believe)... I would have said this sounds like underground/borderline-grunge in the 90's based on the overall sound... Fallen Angel is the only song that tries to remain with the 70's, IMO

hard to compare to the first 3 albums, as it is a totally different sound and band, but this ranks up there with my two favs In The Court and In The Wake

Edited by zosodude13

Nice zosodude13. What's some of your favorite songs by King Crimson so far?

pretty much all of the first album, all of the second album, Cirkus, Red and Fallen Angel from the 4 albums I have right now... I heard a 30 second demo of Lark's part one and it sounded awesome

but, if I had to boil it down to one song, I would pick In the Wake of Poseidon

Great signature zosodude13! You're a bonifide Crimhead now. :lol:

In the Wake of Poseidon is compared so favorably to the 1st album, but I believe I like it even better. Greg Lake's voice on the title track that you picked as your favorite is just the best I've ever heard him sing. That and Epitaph off the first album.

Great signature zosodude13! You're a bonifide Crimhead now. :lol:

In the Wake of Poseidon is compared so favorably to the 1st album, but I believe I like it even better. Greg Lake's voice on the title track that you picked as your favorite is just the best I've ever heard him sing. That and Epitaph off the first album.

I try, Wes :D

what I really liked in In the Wake of Poseidon was the drum beat and the well-timed rolls... also, that mellotron is one of my favs... and touch of horns (right around the line "Empire, blood and water world on the scales") adds a chilling effect

overall, In the Wake is the best overall representation of early King Crimson, as it showcased all of their facets as a band

The music in that song as well as the lyrics is so strong, i can't find the right word to describe it. How would you explain the meaning of the song. Seems pretty straighforward, but i'd love to hear what you think, for a broader perspective.

For i fear tomorrow, i'll be crying.......

well, the first thing I look at the is full title of Epitaph... the full title is

Epitaph including MARCH FOR NO REASON and TOMORROW and TOMORROW

so, I'm guessing ths song is about the future

The wall on which the prophets wrote

Is cracking at the seams.

Upon the instruments of death

The sunlight brightly gleams.

When every man is torn apart

With nightmares and with dreams,

Will no one lay the laurel wreath

When silence drowns the screams.

Confusion will be my epitaph.

As I crawl a cracked and broken path

If we make it we can all sit back

and laugh.

But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,

Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.

Between the iron gates of fate,

The seeds of time were sown,

And watered by the deeds of those

Who know and who are known;

Knowledge is a deadly friend

When no one sets the rules.

The fate of all mankind I see

Is in the hands of fools.

Confusion will be my epitaph.

As I crawl a cracked and broken path

If we make it we can all sit back

and laugh.

But I fear tomorrow I'll be crying,

Yes I fear tomorrow I'll be crying.

now, for what the future holds... I think they saw the colapse and failure of society... considering a Epitaph is what you write on a tombstone and the lyrics are a symbolic failure of the future...

but, thats just my opinon :)

Edited by zosodude13

Starless is my favorite Crimson song. I just love that buildup and then the climax at the end! Not to mention the mellotron and Wetton's singing.

it was funny for me after hearing this jazz/prog band for 4 albums... and then hearing Starless... which IMO had a slight blues feel to it... the first few minutes reminded me of Tea for One

great was to end the album and their first era as King Crimson

great was to end the album and their first era as King Crimson

About 2 months before RED was released (Sept '74), Fripp stated that King Crimson had "ceased to exist" and was "completely over for ever and ever".

A-Ha, not so.

In seven years KC was renewed and the first song on the new album was Elephant Talk. Apparently Fripp had made ventures to Africa and learned a new language. B) Indeed, the new band was a complete transformation of style.

DISCIPLINE

After you've gotten Islands, Lark's Tongues and Starless and Bible Black....the above mentioned should start your next listening phase.

200px-King_Crimson_Discipline.jpg

here's a question for you, wes...

I have the single Groon on my copy of In the Wake of Poseidon... if there were other songs, made strictly for single release... what are they and are they available in anything other then a box set?

Groon was originally paired with Cat Food on a 45rpm

2vil6v7.jpg

Here's a 45 from 1975-76 released at the time of the compilation, A Young Person's Guide.

Ebay is a great place to browse for rare music you might not find elsewhere. Research it. :)

4970_1.JPG

5889_1.JPG

60ee_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/KING-CRIMSON---21st-Ce...803250822a23765

I was never a 45rpm collector and here are a few more, from mostly the 80s era.

http://search.ebay.com/king-crimson-45_W0Q...ksid=p1638.m120

Also this link lists some more 45's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Crimson#External_links

I love all their albums from 1969 to 1974, especially Red and In The Court Of The Crimson King. I couldn't get into their albums form the other eras, like Discipline or The Power To Believe, but maybe I haven't listened to them enough. I only liked some stuff from The Construktion of Light, wich most people seem to dislike...

Robert Fripp's King Crimson is one of the finest musical ensembles to ever be classified as "rock". I highly recomend Lark's Tongues in Aspic and Discipline. Also visit Fripp's web site (http://www.dgmlive.com/index.php) to download (legally!) live shows, I just got this one:

1973-11-23

Concertgebouw

Amsterdam

"The Nightwatch"

official release

01. Easy Money

02. Lament

03. Book Of Saturday

04. Fracture

05. The Night Watch

06. Improv: Starless And Bible Black

07. Improv: Trio

08. Exiles

09. Improv: The Fright Watch

10. The Talking Drum

11. Larks' Tongues In Aspic (Part II)

12. 21st Century Schizoid Man

This show starts off amazing and then gets better!!!

For deeper understanding get Exposure, Fripp's 1979 "comeback" album or some of the work he did with Brian Eno like No Pussyfooting. Fripp is a very motivated and disciplined person who derserves a closer look.

Edited by chef free

I don't want to start anything here, but I always preferred Crimson to bands like Genesis. If Robert Fripp had been in Genesis, we would have seen and heard some REAL magic.

Rob

two things...

1. which genesis peter gabriel or phil collins? (I think peter's years were better, but king crimson is better then the both of them)

2. whats your favorite king cirmsom stuff?

RED and IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING, but I cannot pick out a song or/and album which I don't like.....sorry for insisting, but I can't say the same for Genesis. I see KC as being somewhat more psychedelically prog, something that Genesis never was.

Rob