Led Zeppelin Studio Gear

Hi all,,

A lot of guitarists back then were plugging into the organ players Leslie speakers to get that swirling sound, the Black Dog solo always sounded to me like he was maybe using that. Maybe...

That was Good Times Bad Times,....

KB

The small amp thing is noteworthy as well, if you want that tube overdriven sound without using a distortion or fuzz box.

Absolutely! Unless you're in an environment where you can actually crank a 100 watt Marshall into the stratosphere (good luck), a small, low wattage amp is the only way you can get true power tube saturation. The whole Drive/Preamp trend over the last couple of decades has blinded people into thinking it's about power. A 15 watt amp on 10 will sound way better than a 100 watt amp on 2 with the preamp cranked. And the guitar's volume and tone controls have way more effect on the sound. Crank the preamp and you get one sound. Drive the output tubes and a whole new world opens up. I'll take one 25 watt KT88 over 4 EL34s or 6885s any day. In a word, schweeeeet!

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering what Pagey uses in the studio to record the tracks (mics) because I just can't understand how he could make things so sparkling and "unique" in terms of sound.

If you listen to other bands from their era (it really was THEIR era) it just sounds so dull (there are exceptions ofcourse..).

So did he prefer smaller amps in the studio (like his supro in the early days) or did he go with his full-blown marshall amps? what mics did he prefer to record the drum sound (was it all sm57's?) and Jones' bass and Plant's vocals?

what kind of bass amp did Jones prefer in the studio environment, did he use other basses along with his Jazz?

maybe some other studio secrets in terms of producing?

thx !

His ears I think:

I'm playing a Gretsch Semi-Hollow with a Bigby in this Video:

I'm playing a Les Paul Studio Wine-Red in this video:

And an Alexis Acoustic that I bought off an old man, out of the back of his truck @ the Arkansas/Missouri border:

;)

I want to be a producer in my next life. Things like what you're talking about - placing elements in the stereo field -- fascinate me. Berklee College of Music is offering a number of their music and production courses online now to non-degree students, but it ain't cheap.

It's never too late you're young. Just look up music performance technology and get started. Online check out American Public University System and they have a hoop of course to choose from. Not like University of Pheonix, MBA and Jizz Mopper.... B)

does anyone know the specific amp types jimmy used in the studio ? (the small ones)

thx !

I know on zep I and the fourth, Page has said he used a Supro Coranado as his secret weapon amp combo. There's a pic of it somewhere -- the speaker grill cloth is all torn out.

I am sure a Fender here or there (he had a few -- supers? bassmans? showman?-- that were used in the yardbirds)

Most people say II was the 1959 slp Marshall 100w but I think a lot of it was Jimmy's custom DR103 Hiwatt.

Most other stuff was probly the 1959 circuit Marshall 100w -- i think Page's is a '67.

To drive the input with added tone, Page definately used a fuzz here and there (most notably the modified Sola Sound MKII tonebender) and possibly a Dallas rangemaster for crunch and treble boost.

I know on zep I and the fourth, Page has said he used a Supro Coranado as his secret weapon amp combo. There's a pic of it somewhere -- the speaker grill cloth is all torn out.

I am sure a Fender here or there (he had a few -- supers? bassmans? showman?-- that were used in the yardbirds)

Most people say II was the 1959 slp Marshall 100w but I think a lot of it was Jimmy's custom DR103 Hiwatt.

Most other stuff was probly the 1959 circuit Marshall 100w -- i think Page's is a '67.

To drive the input with added tone, Page definately used a fuzz here and there (most notably the modified Sola Sound MKII tonebender) and possibly a Dallas rangemaster for crunch and treble boost.

Thx man !

I remember Jimmy said something about his supro being broken, and he couldn't find another one like it, so I'm not sure if he used it on the fourth album (if it wasn't already broken by then).

So the second album is Hiwatt eh? interesting.. so the real backbreaking "marshall" tones are actually Hiwatt.

I have a Marshall JMP '77 or '78 and i can get pretty close to Jimmy's live tone, much treble along with the gibson les paul humbuckers.. . But it's the studio tones that define Led Zeppelin's variety for me, they're just so intriguing.

So I'm thinking about investing in some smaller amps, for studio use. The output volume is much more controllable in a studio environment. so i was thinking what might be good amps.

so we've got:

Supro - what type? (i don't think it's easy to find one like them nowadays)

Fender; bassman; super; showman; deluxe; twin verb; ...

Marshall slp 1959

Hiwatt DR103

thx ! much appreciated !

Here's the pic of the Supro. Some say Coronado, others on amp sites say the cabinet size indicates it's in fact a Supreme model. It's also said that he had the tremolo circuit disabled and rewired for a treble boost. But that's not been substatiated. Supro was the kind of amp you'd get through a Sears catalog back in the 50s-60s. Like the Silvertone I used to have when I was teenager. Mine was a little 10 watter with an 8 inch speaker, and I have to tell you, when you dimed that thing, it made a sound you can't replicate unless you know someone who knows how to build old-school amps with vintage electronics. The thing clipped with such a warm beautiful fuzztone. And unlike amps with preamp gain circuits, it was extremely responsive to minor adjustments of the guitar's volume and control knobs. You can find them on ebay, but amps of that vintage are a risk if you don't have them inspected by a knowledgeable amp guy. Oh, and anything with the Supro name on ebay, even Thunderbolt bass amps will inevitably be claimed to be the "Jimmy Page" amp. Don't believe it.

Anyway, here's the pic of Jimmy's Supro.

PagesSupro.jpg

Archived