The Swan Song

zeppelincheetah

My recollection is this was destined to become a Zeppelin epic along the lines of Kashmir that was never finished but was thought of as special by the band and was going to be completed someday, until Jimmy used it with the Firm.

^^Yes, that's correct. I saw Jimmy in a tv interview once, playing Swan Song on an acoustic. He then stopped abruptly and said "and then", and went into Kashmir. I believe that the implication was that the embryonic Swan Song was originally intended as an intro to Kashmir, but got dropped only to remain a work in progess on its own. Until of course being dovetailed in as a section of Midnight Moonlight.

^^Yes, that's correct. I saw Jimmy in a tv interview once, playing Swan Song on an acoustic. He then stopped abruptly and said "and then", and went into Kashmir. I believe that the implication was that the embryonic Swan Song was originally intended as an intro to Kashmir, but got dropped only to remain a work in progess on its own. Until of course being dovetailed in as a section of Midnight Moonlight.

Heavy Metal Arena

He actually plays WS/BMS before Kashmir and just as an aside he looks totally wasted.

The Swan Song riffs made it into the White Summer/BMS intro for Kashmir on the 1977 tour onward.

It made sense to lump the DADGAD stuff into one megasong. Also, Kashmir's big failing as a song was that it really provides no space for Jimmy to solo other than a little trilling on the outro. It really works better with the White Summer intro.

The Swan Song riffs made it into the White Summer/BMS intro for Kashmir on the 1977 tour onward.

It made sense to lump the DADGAD stuff into one megasong. Also, Kashmir's big failing as a song was that it really provides no space for Jimmy to solo other than a little trilling on the outro. It really works better with the White Summer intro.

I was thinking recently how epic a guitar break on Kashmir would have been, if they had done one. He plays some interesting eastern sounding fills at various points live, but the problem with so many recordings is he is drowned out by the keys. I don't know if this is how it sounded in the room at the time, but it doesn't live up to the sound on the record. Oh well - that's life (live) for you.

• 1 month later...
Wasn't it recorded for Phys Graf, or at least during the sessions?

Yep, was part of the sessions for Physical Graffiti. I've got a couple cuts of this track on a boot - pretty good sh1t, but I can see why they didn't put it on the album.

Archived