lookin' for a good camera

sailor86

This may seem like a bizarre place to post this question but my tech help website is acting a bit snobby here as of late. Anyway, I've got the new pc, the new printer/scanner/copier. Now all I need is an affordable digital camera. What specs do I look for? What features do I absolutely need? I'm looking to spend between $100-$200. Any advice?

This may seem like a bizarre place to post this question but my tech help website is acting a bit snobby here as of late. Anyway, I've got the new pc, the new printer/scanner/copier. Now all I need is an affordable digital camera. What specs do I look for? What features do I absolutely need? I'm looking to spend between $100-$200. Any advice?

I got this one at Sears 2 days ago for $109, in the clearance cabinet.

I think they're selling the L18 now, higher ISO speed, larger LED screen and optical zoom.

But the one I have is still 8 megapixels, which is a great size pic.

Got a 2-gig card for it for another $18

I'm satisfied.

353_25584_L15_front.jpg

But the Coolpix L18 is only $139, which is still a great price

353_25596_L18_front.jpg

uh, that's what they are.

Last I checked, polaroids were a self-developing instamatic camera that didn't interface with nothin' but itself. Unless they've changed the definition of the word. You're probably a youngster who's more hip on the technology than I am (but I sure do try). My expertise with Polaroid is limited to my knowledge of this heroin junkie friend of mine who used to shoplift Polaroid film from 7-11s to make his dope money. Correct me if I'm wrong but digital is the total antithesis of polaroid. Unlike, like I said, they changed the vocabulary so the company called Polaroid could keep up and have a slice of the new wave tech pie.

I like Canon because you can use regular AA batteries in it so you don't have to worry about your batteries dying with no place to recharge them. Although more brands may do that now (I bought mine about 3 years ago).

And, yes, Polaroid and Kodak have gone digital now. Gotta keep up...

Last I checked, polaroids were a self-developing instamatic camera that didn't interface with nothin' but itself. Unless they've changed the definition of the word. You're probably a youngster who's more hip on the technology than I am (but I sure do try). My expertise with Polaroid is limited to my knowledge of this heroin junkie friend of mine who used to shoplift Polaroid film from 7-11s to make his dope money. Correct me if I'm wrong but digital is the total antithesis of polaroid. Unlike, like I said, they changed the vocabulary so the company called Polaroid could keep up and have a slice of the new wave tech pie.

Polariod is a brand of cameras, meaning that they make many types of cameras.

My Camera

That is exactly what I have and I am happy with it.

:lolo:

Thanks for the nice thought.

Since I'll be 48 in July, it's always welcome when I get ID'd at the convenience store or whatnot.

But yes, you are correct - Polaroid has indeed kept up by going digital.

Polaroid has always meant a company to me, not a product. I never quite used Polaroid as a genericized trademark like Xerox and Kleenex, but I know many people did, hence your confusion.

Back on topic - your price range should net you a very capable and satisfactory camera.

I've had olympus, fuji, panasonic cameras and they were all OK, but my latest has been a Canon pocket camera and it is hands down the winner. It only cost $150 and takes amazing pictures. I dont think you could go wrong with a Canon at any price. It doesnt hurt to buy last years models either. Thats how I got mine and it is still very advanced.

Sayyyyy bruth-uh!! Don't follow the digital crowd.

Go to EBAY and grab one of the old Nikon F's, some Agfa APX black and white film, some Pyro PMK developer and then go register for some photo classes. :D

Kodachrome is still available too. :)

nfbl2.jpg

EKN003599_150x120.jpg

Sony Cyber-Shot ($250-$300)

Hands down the BEST digital camera I have ever owned (and I've gone thru several). No

annoying extracting/retracting lens to wait on (which can make all the difference in getting

the shot or not) -- just point and shoot. So slim it fits in any pocket, so small folks won't

even realize your taking photos (ideal for concerts) and elegant but unobtrusive enough for formal occasions. I've got a DSC-T9 (6 megapixel) but there have been improved models released in the two years since I got mine. Even at 6 megapixel, the image quality

is super crisp and clear.

Get a Sony Cyber-Shot -- you'll never want to use any other camera again.

Well fellas, I went ahead and made a choice and brought home an Aiptek HD DV camcorder. Takes great photos but the playback of the video seems to lack a little quality. I'm emailing them to see what I can do about that. It ran me about $200.

Well fellas, I went ahead and made a choice and brought home an Aiptek HD DV camcorder. Takes great photos but the playback of the video seems to lack a little quality. I'm emailing them to see what I can do about that. It ran me about $200.

Aw, man!!!

Am I the only one shooting film anymore?

B)

Archived