XYZ

Over the years (after bonzo's death)jimmy has been involved with other talented artists which may have taken his talent's in new directions but alas Robert seemed to be the key to most of direction jimmy wanted to take.Alan White and Chris Squire left Yes but continued working together, beginning sessions with former Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. The band was to be called XYZ, said to be short for "ex-Yes-and-Zeppelin," but nothing came of the sessions when eX-Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant failed to get interested.Yes was a really important band back in the seventies as they had a sound that was unalike other bands of the time . yep.thanks Robert for what could have been,that new direction . ;)

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

You sure are bitter without your precious Led Zeppelin. I can't tell if you dislike Robert Plant or Dave Groul (Grohl) more. How dare Robert not team up with White/Squire to form this new supergroup? How dare he do this thing with Allison Krause? How dare Dave Grohl get JP and JPJ to play with him? OMG did you know BBC Radio broadcast the performance with BOTH parties permission! I can direct you to a free copy of those two songs so you can save them for posterity's sake if you like.

Robert Plant is a grown man and can do whatever he pleases. People that constantly bitch and moan that he is some pariah preventing Zeppelin from reforming need to grow up and lose the gimme gimme gimme attitude. Maybe they will get back together, maybe they won't. Personally, I hope they do and you aren't able to see them. I look forward to reading a post about that.

Robert Plant is a grown man and can do whatever he pleases.

He has proven that very well over the past 28 years. "He" always is first, "He" always does exactly what "He" wants, yes he is very good at looking out for "Himself".

Are you going to put me on your list of those that you hope can't get to see Zep if he graces them with a few more shows too? :D:D

How exactly does a thread about XYZ immediately turn into a "let's bash Robert Plant" thread?

Yes was a dull, boring and pretentious group. Their music was overly complicated and tended to lean more towards the instrumental side. My impression of Robert over the years since the end of LZ was that he didn't want to go back to the long guitar/drum/keyboard solos that dominated LZ's concerts. If I'm right about that, why would he want to front a band that would probably be centered around long jams live? As far as him being responsible for keeping XYZ from forming, was he the only talented vocalist available at that time? Was there not one person who wouldn't have sold their soul to front that band? LZ will always be his greatest achievement. But with all of the tragedy that befell him after Earls Court he obviously wanted to get out from under the cloud that seemed to be hanging over LZ those last few years. Continuing to play with Jimmy wouldn't have allowed him to do this. By going out on his own and not playing any Zep songs he was able to escape the shadow and return to his past on his own terms. Besides, I think he also wanted to make a name for himself. To have a career outside of LZ, to prove to himself and everyone else that he was not just the lead singer for LZ. Didn't he have that right? Instead of criticizing him, we should thank him for helping to keep the shite that XYZ would have been from soiling our ears.

Rant # 2

As far as Robert being responsible for Jimmy not being able to do many of his projects, are you effing kidding? Look, Mr. Page is far and away my favorite musician. But, if he wasn't able to do something he wanted to do because Robert didn't make himself available, isn't that Jimmy's fault? He's an artist, i.e. someone who relies on his creativity. If he couldn't adapt to not having Robert sing on his projects isn't that a failure of his own creativity? Can't he move in a direction that doesn't require Robert to sing for him? Why wouldn't someone with his varied and eclectic taste be able to go in another direction? How is this Robert's fault?

Rant # 2

As far as Robert being responsible for Jimmy not being able to do many of his projects, are you effing kidding? Look, Mr. Page is far and away my favorite musician. But, if he wasn't able to do something he wanted to do because Robert didn't make himself available, isn't that Jimmy's fault? He's an artist, i.e. someone who relies on his creativity. If he couldn't adapt to not having Robert sing on his projects isn't that a failure of his own creativity? Can't he move in a direction that doesn't require Robert to sing for him? Why wouldn't someone with his varied and eclectic taste be able to go in another direction? How is this Robert's fault?

I was never aware that there was even an intention that Robert be part of this effort? I have a boot of some of the rehersal sessions....didn't float my boat that much but I treasure it for Jimmys presence on it....had a lot of Yes influence for sure but a harder edge with Jimmy's playing...

I was never aware that there was even an intention that Robert be part of this effort? I have a boot of some of the rehersal sessions....didn't float my boat that much but I treasure it for Jimmys presence on it....had a lot of Yes influence for sure but a harder edge with Jimmy's playing...

They started working together without Robert and once they had some momentum they

attempted to bring him in. He wasn't interested. Some of the material was used on The

Firm's first album. I'd be happy to PM the details to you as I'm not sharing it here.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

You sure are bitter without your precious Led Zeppelin. I can't tell if you dislike Robert Plant or Dave Groul (Grohl) more. How dare Robert not team up with White/Squire to form this new supergroup? How dare he do this thing with Allison Krause? How dare Dave Grohl get JP and JPJ to play with him? OMG did you know BBC Radio broadcast the performance with BOTH parties permission! I can direct you to a free copy of those two songs so you can save them for posterity's sake if you like.

Robert Plant is a grown man and can do whatever he pleases. People that constantly bitch and moan that he is some pariah preventing Zeppelin from reforming need to grow up and lose the gimme gimme gimme attitude. Maybe they will get back together, maybe they won't. Personally, I hope they do and you aren't able to see them. I look forward to reading a post about that.

where in the the topic was Bitter even mentioned .3hrsoflunacy; what was stated was the truth ! .Jimmy seems to find it hard to get involved with projects unless Robert is involved.What was BITTER about Robert and Alison making beautiful music together.YOU are the one that seems bitter about dave groul asking JP and JPJ to play with him.This post was about what could have been a musical direction (Although not to everyones taste) But a direction that COULD have been unusual.If you were around in the seventies ;you did Not just listen to one sound or brand of music there was a vast musical vocabulary that was on offer to listen too.And there was not the need to wait for the Christmas special for the 2 favorite musicians playing as guest on an other bands gig.Yes Robert can do what he likes and with who ever he likes .so stop moaning about people bashing him and hold a mirror to YOUR face and ask who is BITTER :D

where in the the topic was Bitter even mentioned .3hrsoflunacy; what was stated was the truth ! .Jimmy seems to find it hard to get involved with projects unless Robert is involved.What was BITTER about Robert and Alison making beautiful music together.YOU are the one that seems bitter about dave groul asking JP and JPJ to play with him.This post was about what could have been a musical direction (Although not to everyones taste) But a direction that COULD have been unusual.If you were around in the seventies ;you did Not just listen to one sound or brand of music there was a vast musical vocabulary that was on offer to listen too.And there was not the need to wait for the Christmas special for the 2 favorite musicians playing as guest on an other bands gig.Yes Robert can do what he likes and with who ever he likes .so stop moaning about people bashing him and hold a mirror to YOUR face and ask who is BITTER :D

I think you should get your facts straight about what I have posted on this board, and some other things in general.

1. If, as you state, Jimmy finds it hard to get involved with projects without Robert, then why did he do the Outrider Tour and Coverdale/Page projects? I am sure he wasn't hurting for money. {Please do not answer, I don't need your eternal wisdom}

2. I certainly am not bitter about Dave Grohl (spell his name right) having JPJ/JP joining him on stage. In fact, I was quite delighted the two were out playing together. Go back and read your thread and enlighten yourself (hint pages 2 &3).

3. I am not going to respond to your quip about the "vast musical vocabulary" that existed in the 70's. I was around then and did listen to music, and there certainly wasn't more musical styles as prevalent then as there is today.

4. I am not, nor have I ever stated I was the least bit bitter about what the surviving members of Led Zeppelin do. If you disagree, prove it. However, let's review some of your posts that seem to infer the opposite, and point out your bitterness about what the guys are up to:

yep.thanks Robert for what could have been,that new direction
This sounds a little bitter to me that Robert didn't join in the fun with Jimmy and treat you to some new music. Or were you just thanking him for saving us from a potential train wreck?

How can the Foo fighters get away with having jimmy page and j.p.jones as a special guest appearance and then make a film about it.OK it may have been dave grouls best day of his life but i wouldn't have said that it justified making a movie about there appearance .
Talk about a typical American musician who thinks he has the right to EXPLOIT Jimmy and J.P.J just because Robert is out there doing whatever with Alison bluegrass,Just because jpj produced an album for them (FOO fighers)he is Using them to satisfy his own ego. can't you see that ;or are you blinded by the Ice and snow that surrounds you? YOU NEED COOLIN
Again, I feel a little sense of bitterness there towards Dave Grohl that he may have subjugated the great JP and JPJ into selfish promotion of a possible DVD. How dare Dave do that, and how dare JP and JPJ get the wool pulled over their eyes. Where's Peter Grant when you need him?!?!?

If they really want to encourage Robert to join them on stage, doing guest appearances with out a well rehearsed singer or songs that where more suited to there vocal range then of course Robert will stay where he is.
I am not quite sure what to make of this one. But what I can ascertain is that you feel JP and JPJ have somehow f-d up in motivating RP to reform because they went out and played without a well rehearsed singer. How could that possibly influence Robert???

So, yeah, when I read posts like that several things cross my mind:

1. It is overly emotional, and you appear to be far too concerned with what they do or don't do.

2. It is full of speculation, assumptions, and lacks reason.

3. You, not me, appear to be upset forces or decisions are keeping them from performing together.

4. I won't mention #4 regarding your sentence structure and grammar out of respect that English may not be your first language.

However, I am glad to see you now feel "Robert can do what he likes and with who ever he likes." It makes me feel so much better. I just realized you posted these in the Led Zeppelin Newbies section. I should know better than to venture in there.

Archived