The NEW SRTS

How come WL Love, Dazed and Confused etc are edited in the new cd version? In the old cd/album it was directly from that night, but the new SRTS cd is edited. Does anyone know why Jimmy did that?

I mean the new cd version with The Ocean, Over the Hills and Far Away etc.

How come WL Love, Dazed and Confused etc are edited in the new cd version? In the old cd/album it was directly from that night, but the new SRTS cd is edited. Does anyone know why Jimmy did that?

Try this link.

Do check the link above.... the edits on the new version are just in a different place.

Do check the link above.... the edits on the new version are just in a different place.

I've been listening to the original TSRTS since it came out. Yes, I'm THAT old.

Anyway, I think the new version blows the original right outta the water, both editing and engineering wise. Kevin Shirley should be knighted for his work on the new version!

I humbly bow to the new version...I couldn't believe it was THAT good, but it is. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole way through.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents! :)

Edited by JohnnyGuitar

I've been listening to the original TSRTS since it came out. Yes, I'm THAT old.

Anyway, I think the new version blows the original right outta the water, both editing and engineering wise. Kevin Shirley should be knighted for his work on the new version!

I humbly bow to the new version...I couldn't believe it was THAT good, but it is. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole way through.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents! :)

SOUND is good, editing is not.

I want the older versions of Celebration Day, Whole Lotta Love and No Quarter. I like the new Dazed & Confuzed edit better, except for that blip in the pre-bow solo. And Moby Dick is a mess compared to the old version, very sad.

Basically, you trade in crap sound for good sound and better versions for worse versions.

In exchange you get a gem such as Over the Hills and Far Away.

It's bitter-sweet. They could have simply improved the sound, instead they add the DVD's annoying mistakes and slashes...

The edits completely suck and shouldn't be there. Kevin Shirley and Jimmy should be ashamed. Very lame! I know Jimmy is an amazing producer but there could have been a much more complete version of this show. Those edits drive me insane because most of them are unnecessary.

Edited by Wolfman

It's a shame, because this new release had the potential to be great. If they would have just kept the original songs as is, with the boost in sound quailty and combined them with the new songs then this release would have been just as good as How the West Was Won.

It's a shame, because this new release had the potential to be great. If they would have just kept the original songs as is, with the boost in sound quailty and combined them with the new songs then this release would have been just as good as How the West Was Won.

With all due respect, I don't think there's anything that could have been done to The Song Remains the Same that would allow it to enter the same stratosphere as How the West Was Won, which I feel is a much better representation of Led Zeppelin live (same for The BBC Sessions). That said, for many, many years The Song Remains the Same was the only album I had of Led Zeppelin in concert so for that reason alone it holds a lot of sentimental value for me. As the years went along, like many others, I started hearing a lot of "unofficial" concert recordings and discovered just how much more ass Zep kicked live. In that respect, The Song Remains the Same isn't all that representative of Led Zeppelin live but the plethora of unofficial live recordings, The BBC Sessions and How the West Was Won are.

I guess it's just a matter of preference and I'm a big fan of the 73 shows. When the remastered TSRTS came out with the additional songs on it, they pretty much had the entire set list. It was just disappointing that they put out those hatchet job edits for No Quarter and Whole Lotta Love, plus the incomplete Black Dog. Oh well, the majority of the release is good, but it could have been better.

I totally agree; I'm hearing things on the new SRTS version I didn't hear on the old lps, which is part of the genius behind digital engineering. Jimmy should hire Kevin to help him remaster the 10 disc studio box set; that could use a little work. Some songs have intros channeled into different left/right headphone sides when compared to the same songs on the 4 disc box set. Gallows Pole comes to mind.

I totally agree; I'm hearing things on the new SRTS version I didn't hear on the old lps, which is part of the genius behind digital engineering. Jimmy should hire Kevin to help him remaster the 10 disc studio box set; that could use a little work. Some songs have intros channeled into different left/right headphone sides when compared to the same songs on the 4 disc box set. Gallows Pole comes to mind.

No knighthood for the bad edits! :angry: