Docron's Decathlon

Dirigible

i dont think ive ever been so hung over in my life.

\

definitelystill drunk

awewsome quiz, i hope more (lengthier) onea to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dwebducuihby67890-=plkjhnbv

Careful what you wish for, my friend. Let’s start with an easy one.

1. RUNES FOR 50 POINTS: Who did the fifth rune belong to on LZ4?

2. RUNES FOR 100 POINTS: What was the last show Pagey’s ZOSO symbol appeared wedged in his Marshall speaker cabinet?

3. BONZO FOR 100 POINTS: What is the date of the Tim Rose gig Page attended to check out Bonham’s viability for The Yardies' drum chair?

4. BONZO FOR 200 POINTS: How many shows did he play the famous Ludwig amber Vista-Lite drums?

5. BONZO FOR 300 POINTS: Where are those Vista-Lites now?

6. HOSTILE PRESS FOR 50 POINTS: What periodical reviewed LZ1 and branded Page as a writer of weak and unimaginative songs?

7. HOSTILE PRESS FOR 100 POINTS: What periodical reviewed HOTH and called the band the Limp Blimp?

8. PAGEY FOR 50 POINTS (100 AVAILABLE POINTS): You too can own a pair of black and white Elvis loafers like Jimmy, available from Ferragamo for approximately $200 (per shoe). What year did Page start treading the boards in those kicks AND when did he retire them from stagework?

9. PAGEY FOR 100 POINTS: What well known British musician gave Jimmy Page guitar lessons in the sixties? Hint: He was not a member of The Yardbirds or LZ.

10: JONESY FOR 100 POINTS: True or false. Jones was more successful as a session man than Page.

Careful what you wish for, my friend. Let’s start with an easy one.

1. RUNES FOR 50 POINTS: Who did the fifth rune belong to on LZ4?

2. RUNES FOR 100 POINTS: What was the last show Pagey’s ZOSO symbol appeared wedged in his Marshall speaker cabinet?

3. BONZO FOR 100 POINTS: What is the date of the Tim Rose gig Page attended to check out Bonham’s viability for The Yardies' drum chair?

4. BONZO FOR 200 POINTS: How many shows did he play the famous Ludwig amber Vista-Lite drums?

5. BONZO FOR 300 POINTS: Where are those Vista-Lites now?

6. HOSTILE PRESS FOR 50 POINTS: What periodical reviewed LZ1 and branded Page as a writer of weak and unimaginative songs?

7. HOSTILE PRESS FOR 100 POINTS: What periodical reviewed HOTH and called the band the Limp Blimp?

8. PAGEY FOR 50 POINTS (100 AVAILABLE POINTS): You too can own a pair of black and white Elvis loafers like Jimmy, available from Ferragamo for approximately $200 (per shoe). What year did Page start treading the boards in those kicks AND when did he retire them from stagework?

9. PAGEY FOR 100 POINTS: What well known British musician gave Jimmy Page guitar lessons in the sixties? Hint: He was not a member of The Yardbirds or LZ.

10: JONESY FOR 100 POINTS: True or false. Jones was more successful as a session man than Page.

1. Sandy Denny

2. 7/23/79 Copenhagen

3. 7/31/68 - Page, Grant, and Dreja go see Bonham.

4. Bonzo played these drums from 73-75. 94 shows.

5. The drums are now available to rent by ?? (I forget). Megadeth did rent them and used them in studio to record one of their albums.

6. ?

7. Rolling Stone

8. ?

9. I don't remember, but I will guess - Big Jim Sullivan, PJ Proby, ?

Rolling Stone

Big Jim Sullivan would be my guess.

I didn't even notice there was a new quiz... and its even got my name in it!

Someone should have called me.

While you were sleeping it off, doc, these blokes savaged the damn thing in about four hours. I've already got two questions for Pop 3 ready, but there are some unanswered ones here still. They are: 7, 8 & 9. (I haven't done the math on 4 yet and 5 is being subjected to further research. 3hrs, are you sure Megadeth rented the amber kit? I believe Jeff Ocheltree owns the green sparkle kit and rents that.)

These things are NOT easy to dream up when you've got Cecil, marmorek, 3hrs, and Nick running amok. Will someone write a quiz for me?

While you were sleeping it off, doc, these blokes savaged the damn thing in about four hours. I've already got two questions for Pop 3 ready, but there are some unanswered ones here still. They are: 7, 8 & 9. (I haven't done the math on 4 yet and 5 is being subjected to further research. 3hrs, are you sure Megadeth rented the amber kit? I believe Jeff Ocheltree owns the green sparkle kit and rents that.)

These things are NOT easy to dream up when you've got Cecil, marmorek, 3hrs, and Nick running amok. Will someone write a quiz for me?

No, I am not sure it was the Amberlite kit, it could very well have been the green sparkle.

No, I am not sure it was the Amberlite kit, it could very well have been the green sparkle.

We may have another 'gimme' on our hands. My source was the Thunder of Drums book but that's now seven years old. Supposedly a collector named Bill Townsend in North Carolina purchased them. Seven years is a long time, possessions change hands, or maybe the collector is renting them to defray the expenses on his purchase.

The Drummerland site had video of Jeff Ocheltree showing off the green sparkle set, talking about tuning tubs that size and Bonzo's technique.

On a side note, 3hrs, you asked about the Dirty Dozen quiz on another thread. The answers were posted Friday if that's what you wanted to know.

Thanks for playing, everyone. The unaccounted-for answers:

4. 81 shows between May 4, 1973 and May 25, 1975.

5. The Thunder of Drums book answer is a collector named Bill Townsend in N. Carolina owns the Vista-Lites.

7. Playboy.

8. Montreux Nov '72 thru USA July '77.

10. Jones was an arranger, he hired musicians like Page for sessions.

Next quiz will be a little easier . . .

1. What color is Plant's hair?

2. What band was Jimmy in before LZ?

3. What bandmember always had a mustache?

4. How many fingers and toes does Jonesy have?

Thanks for playing, everyone. The unaccounted-for answers:

4. 81 shows between May 4, 1973 and May 25, 1975.

5. The Thunder of Drums book answer is a collector named Bill Townsend in N. Carolina owns the Vista-Lites.

7. Playboy.

8. Montreux Nov '72 thru USA July '77.

Next quiz will be a little easier . . .

Can you provide evidence to prove no.7 the foldout would do. B)

no.10. Jones was a session man too.....?

Can you provide evidence to prove no.7 the foldout would do. B)

no.10. Jones was a session man too.....?

10. Granted, a soft question with a subjective answer. My reasoning: Jones, like Page, had sufficient coin socked away to work the first few months in Zeppelin for free. They knew that investment would yield bigtime dividends. A few years back Jones saved Donovan's Mellow Yellow session by creating a substitute bass part on the spot to replace the one already charted out that didn't work. Long before Zeppelin I thought it was great bass playing. Mellow Yellow was going to be scrapped till a later date. Because Jones 'saved' the session (and Donovan's label some cash) he was made an arranger, who hired other session players to record master tracks---different from demos, a tier or two down the scale. Jones apparently didn't deal with demos considering some acid comments he made about Ritchie Blackmore. Anyway Jones and Page had played sessions on Dusty Springfield records before; she was famous for Son of a Preacher Man although I don't recall if Page or Jones played on that. Supposedly while Ahmet Ertegun considered signing LZ she told him they both were great musicians. In addition to Dusty's plaudits there is a quote from Page himself: "I jumped at the chance of getting him (Jones), he didn't need ME for a job."

10. Granted, a soft question with a subjective answer. My reasoning: Jones, like Page, had sufficient coin socked away to work the first few months in Zeppelin for free. They knew that investment would yield bigtime dividends. A few years back Jones saved Donovan's Mellow Yellow session by creating a substitute bass part on the spot to replace the one already charted out that didn't work. Long before Zeppelin I thought it was great bass playing. Mellow Yellow was going to be scrapped till a later date. Because Jones 'saved' the session (and Donovan's label some cash) he was made an arranger, who hired other session players to record master tracks---different from demos, a tier or two down the scale. Jones apparently didn't deal with demos considering some acid comments he made about Ritchie Blackmore. Anyway Jones and Page had played sessions on Dusty Springfield records before; she was famous for Son of a Preacher Man although I don't recall if Page or Jones played on that. Supposedly while Ahmet Ertegun considered signing LZ she told him they both were great musicians. In addition to Dusty's plaudits there is a quote from Page himself: "I jumped at the chance of getting him (Jones), he didn't need ME for a job."
Page & Jones had worked together before Led Zeppelin who is the most successful and

on what terms?

P.S. To sir with love. :(

1. Brown

2. The Yardbirds and Neil Christian & the Crusaders. I lifted the photo from Nech's FBO bucket:

1960_Crusaders1.jpg

3. John Bonham

4. 10

1. Brown

2. The Yardbirds and Neil Christian & the Crusaders. I lifted the photo from Nech's FBO bucket:

1960_Crusaders1.jpg

3. John Bonham

4. 10

1. The fairer sex would call it dishwater blond.

4. Dreadfully sorry, lad, 20 was the answer the judges were looking for.

Cecil, I still feel bad you were unhappy with #10. You have my every assurance ;) your refund is in the mail. :D

Another log on the fire. Jones arranged a session where he booked himself on bass, Page on guitar, Bonham on drums and Plant played harmonica, maybe a small abuse of Jones' industry power but he probably didn't give a shit, he was soon to be out of the studios. The band was contracted as singer P.J. Proby's backing group for a couple of songs to finish an album. When the two tracks were laid down there was still time on the clock and Proby, knowing what a killer band he had at his disposal for the afternoon, asked Jones if the guys would mind just improvising a blues for him to improvise some lyrics over. Apparently they agreed and the impromptu song they recorded, Jim's Blues, along with the other two tracks appear on Proby's Three Week Hero album.

For decades I sought Three Week Hero, I just had to hear Zeppelin in the studio in their incubation period. All things come to pass and I finally heard the three tracks in 2007. The two arranged songs were a major disappointment yet one can hear that is undeniably Led Zeppelin percolating behind Proby's pedestrian vocals. Jim's Blues is not much better but the playing overwhelms the screwball singing. It sounds like the band is holding back, saving the fireworks for their own album. (That reminds me of another band that overwhelmed the artist. Vinnie Colaiuta [drums], Michael Landau [guitar], and some hot shots on bass and keys were backing up Joni Mitchell. Joni's band went on tour and even though Joni never said anything the musicians knew they had to chill in spite how great they sounded while playing together. Vinnie said, "By the time we got to Japan we sounded like Van Halen.")

There you are, C-man, if not irrefutable proof, at least some fun trivia to impress your friends with at cocktail parties, church picnics, family reunions, or long car trips. Fun trivia is what we about up in heah! LOL. Have a good one.

Archived