Best modern guitar solo

talisman

Let's be honest, music these days is largely watered down drivel made for radio. But there are good bands out there and some good guitarists. But to be fair iv only started this poll because i can't think of many decent guitar solo's in the modern era and i could do with some guidance to enlighten me if im missing something special.

So please list or mention any guitar solo's that you feel pass the grade (say from the last 10 years or so)

My personal fave's would have to be by Muskett on Rogue Frequency's 'If' and 'Siege Of Faith'. The latter can be heard for free on their myspace site if you not aware of it (well worth a listen!)

http://www.myspace.com/rfuk

So in summary please mention any good/great guitar solo of the last 10 years (electric or acoustic)!

Paul Masvidal from Cynic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM49chgH8p8

But honestly, he's been playing for almost 20 years so I don't know if he counts. But this album comes out in October (yes this song is on it, it leaked over the internet yesterday)

Edit: And I realize the genre of technical metal might be a little hard to get into so, to balance it out here is some awesomely sweet music from probably my favourite album of the year so far. Agalloch's "The White" EP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYMT25zPgs

Do enjoy, I loved it immensely. Great folk music.

Paul Masvidal from Cynic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM49chgH8p8

But honestly, he's been playing for almost 20 years so I don't know if he counts. But this album comes out in October (yes this song is on it, it leaked over the internet yesterday)

Edit: And I realize the genre of technical metal might be a little hard to get into so, to balance it out here is some awesomely sweet music from probably my favourite album of the year so far. Agalloch's "The White" EP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOYMT25zPgs

Do enjoy, I loved it immensely. Great folk music.

Thanks just checked both those out. Some good guitar playing in both but still not what i would describe as a killer guitar solo. Is today's music really that bland and generic that guitar solo's have disappeared?

Somebody must know something that stands out?!

Past ten years, not a whole lot jumps out at me. Zakk Wylde still does a lot of solos, the ones on Sonic Brew, and namely Stronger Than Death are really solid, albeit heavier metal, not sure if that's the stuff you're into.

Dream Theater's John Petrucci is a damn fine guitarist who can write some awesome solos. Heavier stuff there again.

I figured I'd know of more, but those are the only two I can really think of of more modern bands/guitarists that still do solos that aren't totally plain jane. Unless you also want to count the virtuosos like Buckethead, Vai, Satriani, etc.

Let's be honest, music these days is largely watered down drivel made for radio. But there are good bands out there and some good guitarists. But to be fair iv only started this poll because i can't think of many decent guitar solo's in the modern era and i could do with some guidance to enlighten me if im missing something special.

So please list or mention any guitar solo's that you feel pass the grade (say from the last 10 years or so)

My personal fave's would have to be by Muskett on Rogue Frequency's 'If' and 'Siege Of Faith'. The latter can be heard for free on their myspace site if you not aware of it (well worth a listen!)

http://www.myspace.com/rfuk

So in summary please mention any good/great guitar solo of the last 10 years (electric or acoustic)!

Oh great, another "all new music sucks" thread. Sounds like you've made up your mind before listening, so why bother?

Past ten years, not a whole lot jumps out at me. Zakk Wylde still does a lot of solos, the ones on Sonic Brew, and namely Stronger Than Death are really solid, albeit heavier metal, not sure if that's the stuff you're into.

Dream Theater's John Petrucci is a damn fine guitarist who can write some awesome solos. Heavier stuff there again.

I agree with those two !! They are at the top of the tree, would like to add Steve Morse of Deep purple too, some amazingly tasteful but wicked gutiar playing. Love the solo on this song Hey Cisco...its about 10yrs ago so comes into the last 10 yrs.

Oh great, another "all new music sucks" thread. Sounds like you've made up your mind before listening, so why bother?

All im saying is that there aren't many bands around today that do guitar solo's (to my knowledge!). Whether that's because it's out of fashion, today's bands aren't as good, or record companies only sign up bands that write 3 minute songs for the radio is a different issue.

The question was 'can people think of any great guitar solo's over the last ten years' and so far despite people's best efforts it's a bit of a struggle to think of any!

All im saying is that there aren't many bands around today that do guitar solo's (to my knowledge!). Whether that's because it's out of fashion, today's bands aren't as good, or record companies only sign up bands that write 3 minute songs for the radio is a different issue.

All of those things you mentioned are either wrong, or you interpret them incorrectly. Soloing is not out of fashion, today's bands are not worse than those of the past, and record companies have always favored bands who write short, catchy songs.

The question was 'can people think of any great guitar solo's over the last ten years' and so far despite people's best efforts it's a bit of a struggle to think of any!

Radiohead - Paranoid Android, some of the best guitar work ever committed to tape.

I'd also throw in Tony Iommi, he's still been putting out some music, and his solos are quality.

Also, Phil Campbell of Motorhead still writes some ass kicking solos.

I think the author of this thread was referring to the work of artists who have only come to be in recent years, although I agree with your selections.

Well, if that's the case, colour me perplexed. I know there's good guitarists out there who are new to the scene, the guys in Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, other crazy metal bands, more obscure guys. I just cannot stand listening to a lot their stuff because the singing grates my last nerve...or I just think the music blows.

Radiohead - Paranoid Android, some of the best guitar work ever committed to tape.

Agreed, Paranoid Android is awesome........but it was 11 years ago. Actually i think jonny greenwood is a really talented guitarist but himself and Radiohead have shied away from that type of music and guitar playing ever since. Which kind of highlights my point about there not being many guitar soloists around.....certainly in the mainstream anyway.

Agreed, Paranoid Android is awesome........but it was 11 years ago. Actually i think jonny greenwood is a really talented guitarist but himself and Radiohead have shied away from that type of music and guitar playing ever since. Which kind of highlights my point about there not being many guitar soloists around.....certainly in the mainstream anyway.

Again, that just isn't true...

Ball & Biscuit

The first solo comes in at 1:48, but there are more.

Solo comes in at 3:12

Solo comes in at 4:34.

New bands with A LOT of guitars and solos:

Solos everywhere!

Great ending solo!

Intro solo and a couple of others.

Solos everywhere.

Even mainstream artists has a quite a lot of solos in their music today, but most of the mainstream music sucks anyway so I rather not look for music by listening to mainstream radio/TV-channels.

I think most guitarists today are better from a technical standpoint that just about any old school guitarist.

The greats of old are still among the best ever. I think the average guitar player in a band you have heard of today is better than the average from the 60's and 70's.

If you take 5 random songs from classic rock radio and 5 random songs from a station that plays the cooler new music, the new music would be much harder to learn.

The solos of today can't stand up, but the guts of new music is more challenging.

I think most guitarists today are better from a technical standpoint that just about any old school guitarist.

The greats of old are still among the best ever. I think the average guitar player in a band you have heard of today is better than the average from the 60's and 70's.

If you take 5 random songs from classic rock radio and 5 random songs from a station that plays the cooler new music, the new music would be much harder to learn.

It doesn't matter if a guitarist knows more chords, is quicker on the frets, makes cleaner chord changes, can play blindfolded or standing on his head. The most important thing to the listener is the sound that they make. That's why in my opinion Jimmy Page is the greatest guitarist ever, technically he probably isn't but if you compare his body of music with other revered guitarist's he's streets ahead.

You might be the most technically gifted guitarist that has ever lived but if you haven't got the imagination and the creativity to make good songs, riffs and solo's with your talent then i won't want to listen to you.

It doesn't matter if a guitarist knows more chords, is quicker on the frets, makes cleaner chord changes, can play blindfolded or standing on his head. The most important thing to the listener is the sound that they make. That's why in my opinion Jimmy Page is the greatest guitarist ever, technically he probably isn't but if you compare his body of music with other revered guitarist's he's streets ahead.

You might be the most technically gifted guitarist that has ever lived but if you haven't got the imagination and the creativity to make good songs, riffs and solo's with your talent then i won't want to listen to you.

Right on spot. Pretty much my idea of great musicianship too.

You act like as skill goes up, artistic creativity goes down. That's usually not the case.

You act like as skill goes up, artistic creativity goes down. That's usually not the case.

That's not what im saying at all. The point im making is that you can be the most technically gifted guitarist in the world but if you're don't have a creative mind you're unlikely to be the best. It is very hard to teach someone to be creative.

I disagree with your point anyway, if that was the case the charts would be full of pensioner's. Most great bands did their best stuff in the early stages of their careers (eg) Led Zep, Pink Floyd, The Who, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Oasis

It may not all be true, BUT, there are a great number of bands were the members have grown as musicians, while their latter work instead have been less inspiring and less inventive as it was in the beginning of their career. Seems like this case is more rule then exception, IMO.

Archived