Alter Bridge - anyone seen them live?

Lilith

Hi

Alter Bridge are playing a gig near to me in the next few weeks and I was wondering if I should go and see them. Has anyone seen them live? Would you recommend them as a live band?

Thanks! :D

I am completely unfamiliar with their music, but I would see them if I had a chance, since there is speculation that the singer will be singing with Zeppelin :)

Manchester Apollo - I love that place! :D It's small, almost intimate - about 2000 people I think. It's an old-fashioned theatre with an ornate upper balcony section. I saw Robert & Alison there in May. Only snag with it is the over zealous security staff who pounce on anyone taking photos ...

Manchester Apollo - I love that place! :D It's small, almost intimate - about 2000 people I think. It's an old-fashioned theatre with an ornate upper balcony section. I saw Robert & Alison there in May. Only snag with it is the over zealous security staff who pounce on anyone taking photos ...

Go, go, go, go, GO!! :D

I saw them a few years ago in here in Sayerville, NJ.

They played the tightest, most powerful, most inspiring set I've seen in a while. The new stuff is killer. I LOVED the first CD and the new one seemed too metal for my taste. Too much adrenaline for an old geezer like me. But I gotta say, there is just enough nuance mixed with the muscle to keep me continually surprised. I just saw Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola and Jean Luc Ponte (Jazz masters) play the most incredibly intricate passages but even in that other world of acoustic jazz, the blazing synchronized runs are what excites the audience most. Turn up the volume, turn up the lights, dial the emotions to eleven and AB does the same.

I am SOOO happy that Myles has become the emotional guitar counter to Marks virtuosity. Their stylistic differences have broadened their individual reach and inspired a cross-polinization that benefits band. They can crank up the twin engine six string and do runs that would make the best classic dual guits of Skynrd Thin Lizzy or the Scorpions or do individually amazing (Myles on the blues, Mark on the harmonic tapping) solos. An incredible team.

I know people have criticized the lyrics of AB. The blame being placed on Myles' input. I leveled the same attitude upon first hearing the MF4. Kinda generic, sing songy stuff. I felt like I heard it before. (since then MF4 has become a staple in my listening) BUT, that is exactly what makes the concert experience AND enjoying a classic that's a CLASSIC soooo wonderful.

The lyrical content is upbeat, positive, HOPEFUL! As corny as it is, the tribal experience of singing the ahhahhhaahhayaaaawooowoooo is so heart warming. The critics will never get it, and they'll never know what fun they are missing.

The criticism I read about the pacing of the show, with Myles doing his best Buckley was entirely un-warranted. Not only was it a beautiful interlude/showcase for what the mighty Myles brings to the team, but it adds necessary breathing room to the set. You cannot keep hitting a nerve incessantly, eventually it gets deadened. The DeltaBlues was a major ass kicker too. You gotta have time to re-charge.

They did not play my FAVES (We Don't Care At All/Coming Home), yet did not disappoint. By the end I was soaking wet, deaf and sore.

Now comes the good part. After all this nonsense about VIP access, we finally got to see what it was all about.

After a few false starts to find "backstage" we were directed past the line into a curtained off section. I had no idea what to expect. The band did a well organized meet and greet, with well over a hundred fans staying until the wee hours to give thanks and get some memories. This was all new to me, since I usually hit the road as soon as the last note finishes.

We sat on couches behind a pool table and they set up a folding table in front of that with four folding chairs. A door from outside opens and in walks the Michael (I recognized him from all the pics on the board). He's wide eyed and all business. He's like secret service. He sets the guys up and lets groups of 8 or so in to the meet and greet. We're sitting there like we're somebodies (yeah, a friend, of a friends, sister's girlfriends' brother in law's uncle that knows the gardener, that mows the lawn of the mechanic that fixed Marks car). We laughed and joked and acted stupid. Met some very nice people connected to the band. They were just folks; regular people. Very nice. We traded stories and laughed. I gave one couple my CD of new Thornley. I hope I made a new fan.

I sat and watched all the fans as they came in and heaped their stories and adoration on the band. One nice young kid, was discussing his guitar teacher with Mark. It was precious.

I'm old enough that these guys could be my kids, so watching the fan line trundle by, casting reverent stares at the guys as they approached the table, saying all these cliched things like "YOU ROCK, DUDE" was an opportunity or me to be cynical and too cool for my own boots. As we overheard what people shared I pondered what incredibly intelligent statement I would make to re-inforce to the guys that I, I alone, was the Uberfan! More on this later.

Finally the last of the fans came through and it was our chance to mingle. I got up and walked over to Michael, who looked relieved that it was almost over. I was introduced as "the guy BUK from the message board that wrote that thing two years ago that you read and said..." Michael gave me a warm "Oh yeah" and was very open and nice. I don't even know what I wrote. How could he? Like I said he's a gentleman. I asked him how he felt since the accident, and told him how blessed he is in his recovery. He pointed to the braces on his teeth and explained how it wasn't over yet; told us all about the circumstances of the accident and all. It was a dark time, but payers were answered. We talked about Ian Thornley and his current stuff and MT commented on how great they were and how the guys had toured together. As if I didn't know.

I had to confess to him how I walked out before Creed came on at a Jersey show back in the day (which Michael actually remembered, venue and all), just as Creed was blowing up, because I was such a nudnick, I was jealous of Creeds success verses Ian's success. He laughed and expressed how hard this business is. Such a nice cat.

I saw Myles get up out of the corner of my eye, excused myself from Michael, and made a beeline for the mighty one. Here was my chance. I folded like a wimp. Mumbled something about knowing Julia and Big Wreck, like a kid in front of his teacher. My wife wanted to take him home; "He looked so CYUTE!" (you have to say this through your teeth) I wanted to hug Myles he looked like a wet cat with his big sad eyes, and he reacted like a mime to each of my statements, barely mewing a response. Was I bothering him? Was I being too familiar? Was he looking at my fading hair and wrinkly face? Was I just another schnook in line (after all it is all about me). I did not realize what was going on until I read on the board that he has been given strict instructions not to speak, to preserve his magnificent pipes. Myles you're the BEST!

I really wanted to talk to Mark, but he was surrounded. What a gracious dude. I don't know what I could have said that would have been any more than what all of you in line had already said. It was the end of a long day and these guys were beat.

They are sooo not rockstars. They are incredibly nice, warm family people. I love their talent, their inspiring music, their powerful redemptive message that swims upstream to the current hedonistic mass of popular metal. Keep it up Guys! I'm a fan for life.

Archived