Best Stairway to Heaven

rtyper

I would do a search on this forum or go the 5-10 pages deep to find this same thread with many replies. (There are ones for most all the major songs) Here is one of them: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=6470

But I'm all for bringing these questions up again since i wasnt around for the originals.

05-24-75 Earls Court

And:

06-23-77

03-21-75

Jimmy plays best on some of the Earls Courts shows, but Robert's vocals aren't quite there. Overall, where everything is coming together you need to go back to 71or 72. Probably the 72 versions are better as Jimmy's solos became more improvisational and developed on this song. I particularly like the one from L.A. on 6/25. It was the Long Beach version however, that made it on HTWWW. Oh well.

• 1 month later...
LA Forum, 6/23/77. Nothing else is even close.

This is EXACTLY the same one I was thinking of....the heavy drum fills are just amazing, the entire tension building up in the solo.....even Robert's raw 77 voice. By far the most thrilling version I have ever heard (This is actually also the first bootleg I ever heard by Zep....must be youth sentiment by now)

Archived