Led Zeppelin - Definitive Collection

AchillesFault

Hi to Everyone on the Discussion Board!

Before I make my first post to this board, I would like to start out by saying I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan as I would imagine everyone else on the board is too! But I have a few questions about the new Definitive Collection boxset just released domestically by Rhino a couple weeks ago. I hope some people out there on the discussion board have the set and could help me clear up a lot of confusion and possibly misinformation I have been finding out about it.

First off, I have the Complete Studio recordings that was released over 15 years ago and the Coda disc on the set was expanded with 4 bonus tracks (Baby Come On Home, White Summer/Black Mountain Side/Hey Hey What Can I Do and Travelling Riverside Blues.) Are these 4 bonus tracks on the Coda disc of the Definitive Collection? I have seen Amazon and CDUniverse list the tracks and these bonus tracks don't appear but I have read elsewhere that they are included.

Secondly, is The Song Remains The Same on the Definitive Collection the recent expanded edition or is it the original unremastered release? Again, I have seen online the original tracks and not the expanded tracks listed.

Finally, how is the sound quality? Is the sound better than on the Complete Studio Recordings Boxset?

I hope someone who had this new set in their hands can help me by answering these questions and setting the record straight because I want to buy it and upgrade my Zeppelin collection!

Thanks!

AchillesFault

Editorial Reviews

Product Description

2008 twelve CD box set from Led Zeppelin featuring all ten albums in beautiful mini-LP reproductions! The Led Zeppelin 40th Anniversary Cardboard Sleeve Reissue Series features advanced cardboard sleeve replicas of the original UK E-style album jackets, plus six bonus cardboard sleeves including five alternate jackets for In Through The Out Door and one alternate jacket for Led Zeppelin I utilizing the original ink. From their 1969 debut album straight through to their final album in 1979, Zeppelin laid the blueprint for what is now known as Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Heavy Metal. It really doesn't get better than this!. Warner. 2008.

Customer Reviews

Perfect at last, November 11, 2008

By Anthony C. Slikas

* * * * * (5 stars)

I know this is a very pricy item however this is much improved over the existing products. How's that possible you say when it's not remastered? It may not be remastered but that doesn't stop the manufactures from japan running a master through a processor of modern 2008 equipment. Gone is the harshness that permated Led Zep cds now it's a much more easier to listen to sound with a very good sound and there's no evidence of limitations meaning no distortion. I'll leave it at that, of course the artwork to all of the discs are beautiful coming in digipaks and some of them are gate folded which is a nice touch, they really are mini lps as it says in the title just like lps but alot smaller. I expect only a few people will buy these up but don't think it's the same as your 1994 remasters or that other box set because they're not the same.

------------------

Not Worth It, November 11, 2008

By Mark A. Cartier "Cartier" (Portland, Or. USA) - See all my reviews

* * (2 stars)

I've been buying Zep since 69. My opinion of this boxed set? Not impressed. Pricey. No significant difference in the overall sound (very disappointing for me).

The mini-LP sleeves are nice for those of you who don't own the original LPs. Cardboard recreations are not enough to drop this kind of money. The cellophane wrappings that cover each individual offering are cheap as well and not as good as you would get from any individual import. They rip easily.

No extras? To see some sets done right - check out the Genesis boxed sets or some Grateful Dead offerings (or even individual reissues such as David Crosby's "If I Could Only Remember My Name"). The individual Creedence issues are superior to this (I could easily name a dozen more reissues that surpass this set easily).

3 1/2 stars if you don't already own, 2 stars if you do. Prepare to be disappointed. This is all about the $ and your loyalty to a great band.....

-------------------------------

Boxed, November 17, 2008

By T. Olsen

* * * * * (5 stars)

Anyone who does not have the Led Zeppelin collection THIS IS A MUST.

The sound quality is much better than the Cd's that were put out by Jimmy Page.

Led Zeppelin: The Definitive Collection

Track Listing

1 Good Times, Bad Times

2 Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

3 You Shook Me

4 Dazed And Confused

5 Your Time Is Gonna Come

6 Black Mountain Side

7 Communication Breakdown

8 I Can't Quit You Baby

9 How Many More Times

1 Whole Lotta Love

2 What Is And What Should Never Be

3 Lemon Song, The

4 Thank You

5 Heartbreaker

6 Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)

7 Ramble On

8 Moby Dick

9 Bring It On Home

1 Immigrant Song

2 Friends

3 Celebration Day

4 Since I've Been Loving You

5 Out On The Tiles

6 Gallows Pole

7 Tangerine

8 That's The Way

9 Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

10 Hats Off To (Roy) Harper

1 Black Dog

2 Rock And Roll

3 Battle Of Evermore, The

4 Stairway To Heaven

5 Misty Mountain Hop

6 Four Sticks

7 Going To California

8 When The Levee Breaks

1 Song Remains The Same, The

2 Rain Song, The

3 Over The Hills And Far Away

4 Crunge, The

5 Dancing Days

6 D'yer Mak'er

7 No Quarter

8 Ocean, The

1 Custard Pie

2 Rover, The

3 In My Time OF Dying

4 Houses Of The Holy

5 Trampled Under Foot

6 Kashmir

1 In The Light

2 Bron-Yr-Aur

3 Down By The Seaside

4 Ten Years Gone

5 Night Flight

6 Wanton Song, The

7 Boogie With Stu

8 Black Country Woman

9 Sick Again

1 Achilles Last Stand

2 For Your Life

3 Royal Orleans

4 Nobody's Fault But Mine

5 Candy Store Rock

6 Hots On For Nowhere

7 Tea For One

1 In The Evening

2 South Bound Saurez

3 Fool In The Rain

4 Hot Dog

5 Carouselambra

6 All My Love

7 I'm Gonna Crawl

1 Rock And Roll

2 Celebration Day

3 Black Dog

4 No Quarter

5 Song Remains The Same, The

6 Rain Song, The

1 Dazed And Confused

2 Stairway To Heaven

3 Moby Dick

4 Whole Lotta Love

1 We're Gonna Groove

2 Poor Tom

3 I Can't Quit You Baby

4 Walter's Walk

5 Ozone Baby

6 Darlene

7 Bonzo's Montreux

8 Wearing And Tearing

Issued by the esteemed Rhino label in late 2008 to coincide with Led Zeppelin's 40th anniversary, the 12-CD DEFINITIVE COLLECTION box set presents all 10 albums by the legendary British rock band in small LP-replica form. While the glorious music here remains the same--from LED ZEPPELIN's "Good Times, Bad Times" to CODA's "Wearing and Tearing"-- it's the packaging that offers something different, with every CD bearing a scaled-down version of the original U.K. record designs. Primarily geared towards the diehard Led Zep fan, this anthology also works nicely for any brave soul willing to jump in and take on these rock classics all at once. Since even the weakest Zep material is better than what most other groups have to offer, anyone adding this mini-monolith to their collection really can't go wrong.

www.bullmoose.com

I have seen Amazon and CDUniverse list the tracks and these bonus tracks don't appear but I have read elsewhere that they are included.

Here is the complete list including the bonus tracks for the Definitive Collection Mini LP Replica box set. This is for the Japanese imported November 8, 2008 release, previous box set releases did not include TSRTS bonus tracks.

CD 1 : Led Zeppelin

1 Good Times Bad Times

2 Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

3 You Shook Me

4 Dazed and Confused

5 Your Time Is Gonna Come

6 Black Mountain Side

7 Communication Breakdown

8 I Can't Quit You Baby

9 How Many More Times

CD 2 : Led Zeppelin II

1 Whole Lotta Love

2 What Is and What Should Never Be

3 The Lemon Song

4 Thank You

5 Heartbreaker

6 Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)

7 Ramble On

8 Moby Dick

9 Bring It On Home

CD 3 : Led Zeppelin III

1 Immigrant Song

2 Friends

3 Celebration Day

4 Since I've Been Loving You

5 Out on the Tiles

6 Gallows Pole

7 Tangerine

8 That's the Way

9 Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

10 Hat's Off to (Roy)

CD 4 : Led Zeppelin IV

1 Black Dog

2 Rock and Roll

3 The Battle of Evermore

4 Stairway to Heaven

5 Misty Mountain Hop

6 Four Sticks

7 Going to California

8 When the Levee Breaks

CD 5 : Houses of the Holy

1 The Song Remains the Same

2 The Rain Song

3 Over the Hills and Far Away

4 The Crunge

5 Dancing Days

6 D'yer Mak'er

7 No Quarter

8 The Ocean

CD 6 : Physical Graffiti

1 Custard Pie

2 The Rover

3 In My Time of Dying

4 Houses of the Holy

5 Trampled Under Foot

6 Kashmir

CD 7 : Physical Graffiti

1 In the Light

2 Bron-Yr-Aur

3 Down by the Seaside

4 Ten Years Gone

5 Night Flight

6 The Wanton Song

7 Boogie with Stu

8 Black Country Woman

9 Sick Again

CD 8 : Presence

1 Achilles Last Stand

2 For Your Life

3 Royal Orleans

4 Nobody's Fault but Mine

5 Candy Store Rock

6 Hots on for Nowhere

7 Tea for One

CD 9 : The Song Remains the Same

1 Rock and Roll

2 Celebration Day

3 Black Dog [including Bring It on Home]

4 Over the Hills and Far Away

5 Misty Mountain Hop

6 Since I've Been Loving You

7 No Quarter

8 The Song Remains the Same

9 The Rain Song

CD 10 : The Song Remains the Same

1 The Ocean

2 Dazed and Confused

3 Stairway to Heaven

4 Moby Dick

5 Heartbreaker

6 Whole Lotta Love

CD 11 : In Through the Out Door

1 In the Evening

2 South Bound Saurez

3 Fool in the Rain

4 Hot Dog

5 Carouselambra

6 All My Love

7 I'm Gonna Crawl

CD 12 : Coda

1 We're Gonna Groove

2 Poor Tom

3 I Can't Quit You Baby

4 Walter's Walk

5 Ozone Baby

6 Darlene

7 Bonzo's Montreux

8 Wearing and Tearing

9 Baby Come on Home

10 Travelling Riverside Blues

11 White Summer / Black Mountain Side

12 Hey Hey What Can I Do

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=455386

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-13142

Hi to Everyone on the Discussion Board!

Before I make my first post to this board, I would like to start out by saying I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan as I would imagine everyone else on the board is too! But I have a few questions about the new Definitive Collection boxset just released domestically by Rhino a couple weeks ago. I hope some people out there on the discussion board have the set and could help me clear up a lot of confusion and possibly misinformation I have been finding out about it.

Hello to Everyone again out there in the Led Zeppelin Forum! I hope everyone had a terrific Thanksgiving! I would like to now respond to my original post and set the record straight about the Definitive Collection because I have it in my hands right now! :D

This morning I went out for the Black Friday shopping madness and I bought The Definitive Collection

for $109.99 at my local shop and I am so glad I did! The packaging in the set is amazing and the detail of the sleeves is just too cool. The sleeves all include the Japanese OBI Strip and the discs appear to be of the quality you would find from any import from Japan. You get all of the In Through The Out Door sleeves as well both sleeves from the debut. I just finished listening to the debut and I am blown away by the sound quality! So far so good! Now onto answering my questions I had to ask from my original post!

1. The Coda disc IS EXPANDED TO INCLUDE "Baby Come On Home," "Travelling Riverside Blues", "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" and "Hey Hey What Can I Do." That was a big factor for me I wanted to make sure those tracks were on it so I took a chance and it paid off! :)

2. The Song Remains the Same IS THE EXPANDED version released last year. The only tiny gripe I have is that the sleeve replicates the original packaging artwork and not the reissued one with the new liner notes. But nonetheless it is still terrific. :)

So far I am blown away by the sound and everything as a whole lives up to the name of the Definitive collection. I think any site from Amazon to Rhino to CDUniverse should list the correct track listing as to not confuse and misinform people who would like to get this set.

I also want to thank Meg and Steve for their responses to my original post.

I hope my updated post sets the record straight for everyone! :)

Enjoy your Thanksgiving weekend!

AchillesFault

the current releases without any bonus tracks to me are just atlantic/warner brothers way of getting out as much of the cash cow they call led zeppelin! if they really want to do something great why not release the earl's court and knebworth shows on dvd and cd?it would'nt take much to produce either. [ /b]

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see those 2 shows as 4 disc sets (2 CD's and 2 DVD's) with cool packaging, rare photos and booklets to replicate the original tour programs. I would imagine that Jimmy Page probably restored those complete shows visually and soundwise, but was probably given limited constraints by Atlantic for a 2 DVD set.

I just finished listening to the entire Definitive Collection and I think it is brilliant! The sleeves are so cool to look at and the sound is just perfect. It blows away the Complete Studio Recordings in my opinion.

I just finished listening to the entire Definitive Collection and I think it is brilliant! The sleeves are so cool to look at and the sound is just perfect. It blows away the Complete Studio Recordings in my opinion.

Why would it sound different? Have they tweaked the sound like Mothership?

I couldn't agree more. I would love to see those 2 shows as 4 disc sets (2 CD's and 2 DVD's) with cool packaging, rare photos and booklets to replicate the original tour programs. I would imagine that Jimmy Page probably restored those complete shows visually and soundwise, but was probably given limited constraints by Atlantic for a 2 DVD set.

i have bootlegs from all the earl's court and knebworth shows,audio and dvd.but i would gladly pay to get an official release loaded with never before seen or heard goodies.

Why would it sound different? Have they tweaked the sound like Mothership?

Maybe in the same way that even Japanese imported cd's in the 80s were better sounding than domestic releases. Tapes don't have to be remastered to sound better on a particular release. All the steps along the way, if meticulously paid attention to can result in a better sounding disc. That goes for the old import vinyl albums in the 1970s too, they sounded much better than US domestic vinyl and they were from the same copies of master tapes but were taken care of better in Japan and Europe for the most part.

I haven't heard the new collection to see if this indeed has happened to my ears.

you can't tell me that the band does'nt have some alternate versions or live versions of songs they could'nt add on to the remastered cds though.i have practically all the studio boots and there is a lot of stuff like alternate takes of black dog,trampled underfoot,in the light,and when the levee breaks that would be great as bonus tracks.

• 1 month later...

I have the Definitive Collection box set so I know the Track listing and here it is!

Led Zeppelin

1. Good Times Bad Times

2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

3. You Shook Me

4. Dazed and Confused

5. Your Time Is Gonna Come

6. Black Mountain Side

7. Communication Breakdown

8. I Can't Quit You Baby

9. How Many More Times

Led Zeppelin II

1. Whole Lotta Love

2. What Is and What Should Never Be

3. The Lemon Song

4. Thank You

5. Heartbreaker

6. Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)

7. Ramble On

8. Moby Dick

9. Bring It on Home

Led Zeppelin III

1. Immigrant Song

2. Friends

3. Celebration Day

4. Since I've Been Loving You

5. Out on the Tiles

6. Gallows Pole

7. Tangerine

8. That's the Way

9. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

10. Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

Led Zeppelin IV

1. Black Dog

2. Rock and Roll

3. The Battle of Evermore

4. Stairway to Heaven

5. Misty Mountain Hop

6. Four Sticks

7. Going to California

8. When the Levee Breaks

Houses of the Holy

1. The Song Remains the Same

2. The Rain Song

3. Over the Hills and Far Away

4. The Crunge

5. Dancing Days

6. D'yer Mak'er

7. No Quarter

8. The Ocean

Physical Graffiti

Disc 1

1. Custard Pie

2. The Rover

3. In My Time of Dying

4. Houses of the Holy

5. Trampled Under Foot

6. Kashmir

Disc 2

1. In the Light

2. Bron-Yr-Aur

3. Down by the Seaside

4. Ten Years Gone

5. Night Flight

6. The Wanton Song

7. Boogie with Stu

8. Black Country Woman

9. Sick Again

Presence

1. Achilles Last Stand

2. For Your Life

3. Royal Orleans

4. Nobody's Fault but Mine

5. Candy Store Rock

6. Hots on for Nowhere

7. Tea for One

The Song Remains the Same

Disc 1

1. Rock and Roll

2. Celebration Day

3. Black Dog

4. Over the Hills and Far Away

5. Misty Mountain Hop

6. Since I've Been Loving You

7. No Quarter

8. The Song Remains the Same

9. The Rain Song

10. The Ocean

Disc 2

1. Dazed and Confused

2. Stairway to Heaven

3. Moby Dick

4. Heartbreaker

5. Whole Lotta Love

In Through the Out Door

1. In the Evening

2. South Bound Saurez

3. Fool in the Rain

4. Hot Dog

5. Carouselambra

6. All My Love

7. I'm Gonna Crawl

Coda

1. We're Gonna Groove

2. Poor Tom

3. I Can't Quit You Baby (Live at the Royal Albert Hall 1970)

4. Walter's Walk

5. Ozone Baby

6. Darlene

7. Bonzo's Montreux

8. Wearing and Tearing

9. Baby Come on Home

10. Travelling Riverside Blues

11. White Summer/Black Mountain Side

12. Hey Hey What Can I Do

The box set also came with an alternate cover for Led Zeppelin and five alternate covers for In Through the Out Door.

Archived