The Who?

neil68

http://www.getreadyt.../ted_nugent.htm

"My guitar is my own personal primal scream, it's the same thing that influenced people like Bo Diddley and all those black r&b people that Jimmy Page later milked for Led Zeppelin."

I'm not sure if that's the specific quote the other poster was talking about but I did a google search and found the above.

That's not the specific quote the other poster was referring to...but it'll do.

If memory serves, the Nugent quote the other person was referencing was something Ted said about meeting Jimmy and he was all drugged out and had cold, clammy hands. I can't search for it now...but I believe if you check the "what other people say about Zeppelin" thread in the Master Forum, you'll find Ted Nugent's quote discussed at length.

As for the thread topic...I loved the Who when I was a kid, but as they went on and on after Keith Moon died and put out multiple greatest hits collections and seemingly had more farewell tours than Kiss, I grew weary of them. By the 90s, I was sick of them...especially when Pete decided to shove Tommy down the world's throat in all available media formats.

When the Ox died and they STILL carried on...well, I can't say I was surprised. But it was still sad.

One advantage Led Zeppelin will always have over the Who, to me, are their albums. Zeppelin was simply more consistently better in the studio than the Who. The Who were a great singles band in their early years, but their albums were full of filler.

The only Who albums I can listen to without wanting to skip ahead are "The Who Sell Out" and "Who's Next".

Ironically, the one advantage I felt the Who had over Zeppelin when I was growing up(the lyrics), doesn't mean as much to me now. I just don't care anymore about the whole silly Mods versus Rockers thing.

Obviously, their live reputation rivals, and perhaps exceeds Led Zeppelin's. I only saw the Keith Moon-era Who twice: in 1973 and 1976. They were certainly LOUD but while good, I never felt chills like I did at Zeppelin shows. It probably didn't help that at both shows(LA Forum 73 and Anaheim Stadium 76) Keith looked majorly wasted.

SAJ is right, though: Pete Townsend gives great interviews.

I think the mod/rockers thing was used as a backdrop for Quadrophenia, a couple tunes mentioned them directly but I always thought it was just a thematic thing to write songs around the concept. Lyrically it might be the best teen angst album ever written about having to grow up and finding yourself as a person in life.

But hey, I always thought LOTR was the backdrop for Led IV so.................

I don't love The Who, but I certainly don't hate them either. I saw Roger live in 2010 & I was actually quite impressed. His singing isn't what it used to be (kind of like somebody we know...RP) but overall, he's a good entertainer. He opened for Eric Clapton & I was blown away by his wise cracks he was making. Definitely a crowd pleaser. Pete Townshend, is another story. I saw some interviews with him and he was talking about something related to Zeppelin. Really ticked me off & I sort of lost respect for him. I understand that not everybody is going to like the same people I like. That's okay. It's just they way he said it. I believe you can find some interviews of him on the "What the famous think of Zeppelin" or something like that. I think it's sort of interesting that Roger dreams of working with Jimmy.

I've never been a huge fan of the Who either but growing up on album radio in the 70s and 80s, their music obviously made up a huge amount of the playlists. Even though I always kind of admired them from afar, it wasn't until years later that I became a full fledged fan. That said, I still don't have a lot of their works on CD or vinyl (still need to fix that). When they came through NC on the Quadrophenia anniversary tour in the mid-90s I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to see them, even without Keith Moon. With all due respect to Mr. Moon, Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey did a very admirable job filling in for him on drums. Plus, I got to see one of Townshend's infamous windmills up close and personal, something he said he wouldn't be doing any more (this was also around the time that his tinnitus was bothering him worse than ever before). I'm not so sure I'd have very much interest in seeing them these days but I'm sure glad I went back then. After they finished Quadrophenia, the latter portion of the set was more of greatest hits outing but it was all very enjoyable, nevertheless.

• 3 months later...

I saw them from the 4th row at Tampa stadium back in '89 and it was an amazing show! Definitely the loudest show I have attended. Then I took the wife, who was not a fan of theirs, to the show that Jahfin was referencing and it was terrific as well - plus she then became a fan. It is sad to see what has become of them since the great Ox passed away, but I have great memories of them. Too bad I wasn't old enough to have caught them when Kieth was alive.

• 4 months later...

Archived