Midnight Special March 1975

RiotHouse

The interview was televised in 1975 in Oz, direct by satellite if I remember correctly.

Although it may have been delayed, I do know it was about 10.30 - 11.00 pm.

Robert was talking about the world tour they were about to embark on and Physical Graffiti amongst other things.

No, just the Plant interview, and I've heard the master tapes no longer exist.

I saw an ad for The Midnight Special DVD set.

They mentioned there are interviews with "lots" of performers.

I would have thought if Robert's interview was included they would've promoted it?

Has any one got this series to shed some light on whom was interviewed?

Absolutely phenomenal pics. Thank you for posting them. Yes those bonham video stills look very interesting. I guess there was footage of the band being shown when plant was being interviewed by JJ ?? Video we have yet to see ....or might never see?

cheers

Here's another that certainly has to be JJ Jackson admiring and grinning at Jimmy and band in an early photo.

23ww9q9.jpg

Good call! I have thought that picture must be from the Boston Tea Party concert, May 27, 1969 (and it was probably taken by Charles Bonnay), and Jackson's presence makes the guess more likely, seeing as he was living and working in Boston at the time. Perhaps somebody can confirm that the picture is indeed from Boston?

Jimmy with JJ Jackson (note Jimmy's bandaged hand)

f_23533271620m_6b6e878.jpg

This photo must have been taken in the LA area, at some point between May30-June 1, 1973. Jimmy hurt his hand when he arrived, at the airport in fact. There is another possible connection here to the famed birthday party that Bonzo was given after the May 31 concert, as I suspect the party was held at Jackson's place; Richard Cole recalls that it was at the home of a radio personality, and there seems to be no reason to doubt that.

Good call! I have thought that picture must be from the Boston Tea Party concert, May 27, 1969 (and it was probably taken by Charles Bonnay), and Jackson's presence makes the guess more likely, seeing as he was living and working in Boston at the time. Perhaps somebody can confirm that the picture is indeed from Boston?

I always figured it was in the LA environs, but I guess not. I didn't realize JJ Jackson was in Boston during the summer of '69. And yeah, if it's Boston that has to be May. No way Jimmy or the crowd would dress like that if it was January or late October, the other Boston dates of 1969!

This photo must have been taken in the LA area, at some point between May30-June 1, 1973. Jimmy hurt his hand when he arrived, at the airport in fact. There is another possible connection here to the famed birthday party that Bonzo was given after the May 31 concert, as I suspect the party was held at Jackson's place; Richard Cole recalls that it was at the home of a radio personality, and there seems to be no reason to doubt that.

That party was held at a private residence in Laurel Canyon, and now that you mention

it that could well have been JJs place (although it has also been said it was the home of

a radio station owner)

----------------------

He had a Corvette and loved to floor it. I remember a drive thru Laurel Canyon at top speed and the music blasting. He loved that. If you want to SEE JJ at his best, talking about radio, check out Raechel Donahue's documentary called Rock Jocks - The FM Revolution. It was screened at the Museum of Radio and Television in Beverly Hills last year and afterwards we all went to dinner. I'm so glad we had that occasion because he was in the best mood and I'll always remember how funny he was. ALL GRIEF BE FAR.” (Allison Caine)

Memories of JJ Jackson:

http://www.laradio.com/jjmemories.htm

That party was held at a private residence in Laurel Canyon, and now that you mention

it that could well have been JJs place (although it has also been said it was the home of

a radio station owner)

----------------------

He had a Corvette and loved to floor it. I remember a drive thru Laurel Canyon at top speed and the music blasting. He loved that. If you want to SEE JJ at his best, talking about radio, check out Raechel Donahue's documentary called Rock Jocks - The FM Revolution. It was screened at the Museum of Radio and Television in Beverly Hills last year and afterwards we all went to dinner. I'm so glad we had that occasion because he was in the best mood and I'll always remember how funny he was. ALL GRIEF BE FAR.” (Allison Caine)

Memories of JJ Jackson:

http://www.laradio.com/jjmemories.htm

:yesnod: Thanks for that, Steve. It does seem worth looking into. And yeah, you're right, Cole did say it was an owner of a radio station, but that may not necessarily be 100% accurate. From reading his books I'd guess he's likely to remember it was some radio person, and then simply assume that it was an owner! :lol: If on the other hand it had been Danny Goldberg telling the story, he would get details like this absolutely right.

Archived