THE CARPENTERS THREAD

ZeppFanForever

Please do not put Christina in this list with Britney, Madonna or Miley!! She can sing them all under the table and off the stage as well!! It is a shame that she keeps getting tied in with them. Apples and oranges indeed!! Sorry for my little rant, but Christina can sing her ass off!!

I agree. What a voice. I wish she did rock instead that crap she sings most of the time.

I agree. What a voice. I wish she did rock instead that crap she sings most of the time.

Oh yes. I think she has some great songs. The best songs to me on her CD's don't get released as singles though. They seem to stick with the more "pop-radio friendly" sounding ones, although "Fighter" is more of a rock sounding tune and Dave Navarro plays guitar on that one. B)

Hey ZeppFanForever!! Yes, her voice can move you to tears. I would add Alison Krauss and Sarah McLachlan to that list too. All of them have beautiful voices indeed!! :)

How's it going "Melanie_72?" I should be ashamed of myself for forgetting Alison Krauss and Sarah McLachlan. They too, have great voices. Thanks for bringing those two names up. As the saying goes, "two heads are better than one." ROCK ON!

Please do not put Christina in this list with Britney, Madonna or Miley!! She can sing them all under the table and off the stage as well!! It is a shame that she keeps getting tied in with them. Apples and oranges indeed!! Sorry for my little rant, but Christina can sing her ass off!!

How's it going "Melanie_72?" I personally prefer Christina over Britney, Madonna and Miley anyday. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Wolfman?" Christina does have a great voice. She kind of rocked a little in the song "Fighter" huh? That's my favorite Christina Aguilera song. ROCK ON!

Last Minute Edit: Dave Navarro does kick ass on the guitar solo on "Fighter" huh? ROCK ON!

Oh yes. I think she has some great songs. The best songs to me on her CD's don't get released as singles though. They seem to stick with the more "pop-radio friendly" sounding ones, although "Fighter" is more of a rock sounding tune and Dave Navarro plays guitar on that one. B)

How's it going "Melanie_72?" AH, you beat me to it. Here I was just commenting on the last response before this one about "Fighter" and you just mentioned the song here? "Fighter" is the best Rockin' song that Christine Aguilera has ever recorded to date. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Melanie_72?" I should be ashamed of myself for forgetting Alison Krauss and Sarah McLachlan. They too, have great voices. Thanks for bringing those two names up. As the saying goes, "two heads are better than one." ROCK ON!

How's it going "Melanie_72?" I personally prefer Christina over Britney, Madonna and Miley anyday. ROCK ON!

Hi ZeppFanForever!! Sorry I got a little off topic there! But yes, I agree with you 100%. I am always huge fans of those artists who can just sing period!! Nothing beats having raw talent, that's for sure. Cool to see you like "Fighter" too, what a rocking song!! Happy New Year and please keep all these great threads coming!! :toast:

The Carpenters were a great band and yeah Karen was a killer drummer.

How's it going "danelectro?" After all of these years, the accomplishments and achievements of Karen Carpenter are finally be recognized by the music world. I am very happy about that. Karen was a very underrated Drummer. ROCK ON!

Hi ZeppFanForever!! Sorry I got a little off topic there! But yes, I agree with you 100%. I am always huge fans of those artists who can just sing period!! Nothing beats having raw talent, that's for sure. Cool to see you like "Fighter" too, what a rocking song!! Happy New Year and please keep all these great threads coming!! :toast:

Hi "Melanie_72?" Don't worry about getting a little off the topic, even I have been guilty of that from time to time. I promise that I will keep the threads coming, I have many more building in my head right now. You also have a great New Years Eve and New Years day, I know that I will for sure. I have tomorrow and Friday off so my four day weekend should be spectacular. ROCK ON!

Hi "Melanie_72?" Don't worry about getting a little off the topic, even I have been guilty of that from time to time. I promise that I will keep the threads coming, I have many more building in my head right now. You also have a great New Years Eve and New Years day, I know that I will for sure. I have tomorrow and Friday off so my four day weekend should be spectacular. ROCK ON!

Thanks. I have to go back on Friday after being off for a week, but who knows, I might just call off, LOL!! That's bad, I know, I have just gotten so lazy, I must admit. Have a great day also! :D

Thanks. I have to go back on Friday after being off for a week, but who knows, I might just call off, LOL!! That's bad, I know, I have just gotten so lazy, I must admit. Have a great day also! :D

How's it going again "Melanie_72?" Hell with it, call in on Friday and tell them that you have a headache. I'm being a good influence on you huh? ROCK ON!

How's it going again "Melanie_72?" Hell with it, call in on Friday and tell them that you have a headache. I'm being a good influence on you huh? ROCK ON!

LOL! Hey I just might do that. Last week I was telling some of my co-workers I didn't mind coming back on Friday since it was the weekend again, but I have been battling a cold for the past couple of days, so the outlook right now is 50-50!

LOL! Hey I just might do that. Last week I was telling some of my co-workers I didn't mind coming back on Friday since it was the weekend again, but I have been battling a cold for the past couple of days, so the outlook right now is 50-50!

How's it going "Melanie_72?" H-A-P-P-Y N-E-W Y-E-A-R!!!!!!!!!! You poor thing, I hope that you are feeling better. If you don't feel any better, hell with it, call in sick. Your health should be the most important thing. If you're not healthy, you can't do your job am I wrong? ROCK ON!

Karen did have a voice of an angel, the vocal harmonies with her brother were really lush and beautiful. Tony Peluso added some wonderful understated guitar playing to the band too, on the surfice this sort of almost sickly style of music should make me go no way, but with the Carpenters it was diiferent, they sung and played with humility and I always would listen when my mother and sister would listen to their records, Tony Peluso solo's are a lesson where everysingle note played means something :)

Karen did have a voice of an angel, the vocal harmonies with her brother were really lush and beautiful. Tony Peluso added some wonderful understated guitar playing to the band too, on the surfice this sort of almost sickly style of music should make me go no way, but with the Carpenters it was diiferent, they sung and played with humility and I always would listen when my mother and sister would listen to their records, Tony Peluso solo's are a lesson where everysingle note played means something :)

How's it going "leddy?" Happy New Year to you! There was something about THE CARPENTERS' music that touched millions and millions of loyal Rock n' Roll fans the world over. Their music sounded so special that when you head their music, you knew that it was THE CARPENTERS. Their sound was so unique and original that no one could ever sound like them. THE CARPENTERS are irreplaceable. ROCK ON!

There have been many great legendary female icons that have passed through music history. Legends such as Billie Holiday, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick, Carole King, Diana Ross, Barbra Streisand, Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Olivia Newton John and Sheryl Crow to name a few.

I'm curious as to when Sheryl Crow became a "legend". She may be famous and has sold millions of records but to my ears there's not a more generic voice on the planet (not to even mention what she did to D'yer M'ker). On the subject of outstanding female vocalists I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aretha Franklin, Emmylou Harris or Joni Mitchell. They're only just the tip of the iceberg as I can think of tons more such as Kasey Chambers, Loretta Lynn, Caitlin Cary, Maria McKee, Tift Merritt, Kathleen Edwards, Natalie Merchant, etc.

As for the Carpenters, like Three Dog Night, they were one of the groups that were there when I first started getting into music in the early 70s but I can't say I've ever thought much of them beyond that. That's not to take away from their legendary status, which they definitely desevered but they were never much my cup of tea.

One of the better received tribute records out there is this one which includes contributions from everyone from Sonic Youth to Shonen Knife:

41YYS38J3AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

How's it going "leddy?" Happy New Year to you! There was something about THE CARPENTERS' music that touched millions and millions of loyal Rock n' Roll fans the world over. Their music sounded so special that when you head their music, you knew that it was THE CARPENTERS. Their sound was so unique and original that no one could ever sound like them. THE CARPENTERS are irreplaceable. ROCK ON!

Happy New Year too you to :)

I'm curious as to when Sheryl Crow became a "legend". She may be famous and has sold millions of records but to my ears there's not a more generic voice on the planet (not to even mention what she did to D'yer M'ker). On the subject of outstanding female vocalists I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aretha Franklin, Emmylou Harris or Joni Mitchell. They're only just the tip of the iceberg as I can think of tons more such as Kasey Chambers, Loretta Lynn, Caitlin Cary, Maria McKee, Tift Merritt, Kathleen Edwards, Natalie Merchant, etc.

As for the Carpenters, like Three Dog Night, they were one of the groups that were there when I first started getting into music in the early 70s but I can't say I've ever thought much of them beyond that. That's not to take away from their legendary status, which they definitely desevered but they were never much my cup of tea.

One of the better received tribute records out there is this one which includes contributions from everyone from Sonic Youth to Shonen Knife:

41YYS38J3AL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

How's it going "Jahfin?" As I have always said, two or more minds are better than one. You have mentioned quite a bit of great female vocalists that are worthy and do deserve to be mentioned among the elite list of legendary female performers. Thank you for bringing them up on this thread. I also failed to mention PAT BENATAR whom definitely deserves to be among the elite list of legendary female performers. As for Sheryl Crow, she became legendary for mixing her own unique blend and style of voice with up to date music that sounds so much like the late 1960's and 1970's. She really contributed in bringing back the spirit of the late 1960's and 1970's music. Crow's musical influences and idols were JANIS JOPLIN, STEVIE NICKS and THE ROLLING STONES. She tried in bringing back a lot of their style and sound by using a lot of their special trademark qualities. Crow may never be as equivalent to her idols, but she contributed and brought something to Rock n' Roll in her own special way because she had something to say and that is what Rock n' Roll is all about. ROCK ON my friend!

How's it going "Jahfin?" As I have always said, two or more minds are better than one. You have mentioned quite a bit of great female vocalists that are worthy and do deserve to be mentioned among the elite list of legendary female performers. Thank you for bringing them up on this thread. I also failed to mention PAT BENATAR whom definitely deserves to be among the elite list of legendary female performers. As for Sheryl Crow, she became legendary for mixing her own unique blend and style of voice with up to date music that sounds so much like the late 1960's and 1970's. She really contributed in bringing back the spirit of the late 1960's and 1970's music. Crow's musical influences and idols were JANIS JOPLIN, STEVIE NICKS and THE ROLLING STONES. She tried in bringing back a lot of their style and sound by using a lot of their special trademark qualities. Crow may never be as equivalent to her idols, but she contributed and brought something to Rock n' Roll in her own special way because she had something to say and that is what Rock n' Roll is all about. ROCK ON my friend!

I don't hear anything original or unique in Sheryl Crow's sound. I don't hate her, I just don't see why such a fuss has been made over her. Someone like Lucinda Williams is much more deserving of the same accolades that have been directed towards Sheryl Crow.

I don't hear anything original or unique in Sheryl Crow's sound. I don't hate her, I just don't see why such a fuss has been made over her. Someone like Lucinda Williams is much more deserving of the same accolades that have been directed towards Sheryl Crow.

How's it going "Jahfin?" Good to hear from you. As for Sheryl Crow, its her unique voice which has that high pitch sound or falsetto. Lucinda Williams deserves to be mentioned among the elite legendary female performers as well. Thanks. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Jahfin?" Good to hear from you. As for Sheryl Crow, its her unique voice which has that high pitch sound or falsetto. Lucinda Williams deserves to be mentioned among the elite legendary female performers as well. Thanks. ROCK ON!

I honestly don't hear anything "unique" in Sheryl Crow's voice, to my ears everything she's done is the very definition of generic. While I'm a big fan of Lucinda's I can't say she's earned the "legendary" mantle either but Car Wheels On A Gravel Road definitely puts her in that territory.

Archived