Awesome drummers

bonhamfreak

I love Carter Beauford of the Dave Matthews band. Also Stewart Copeland.

Not sure I understand drumming/percussion well enough to expound on why.

Also Peter Gabriel has worked with several excellent drummers/percussionists.

Years ago I heard a jazz drummer live, I think his name was Smith, who was great. I don't know if he's the same Smith that is in the tonight show band. The jazz group I heard that night (Dave Holland, Kenny Wheeler & some other guys) was not the type of jazz you hear on the tonight show. Most of the best drummers are probably jazz players, but I haven't listened to jazz much in recent years, so I don't know the names of younger guys who are big.

John Bonham

Scott Asheton

Michael Lee (RIP)

Larry Mullen

Sean Kinney

Matt Cameron

I loved Michael Lee on the Unplugged DVD (he & Plant did some fantastic back & forth on When the Levee Breaks) and both P&P cds. I was sad to hear he died. I don't know how he died.

Two pages in and no one has mentioned Ringo? For shame...

ringo_starr.jpg

Other faves:

billberry.jpg

charlie_watts543.jpg

Now I'm in my car

Oh, I got the radio on

Now I'm yellin' at the kids in the back seat

'cause they're bangin' like Charlie Watts

- John Hiatt "Slow Turning"

..and who could forget the incomparable George Jetson.

I've seen Hiatt live a few times. When he did Slow Turning and got to that verse, he started making a goofy face and moving his arms like he was turning a steering wheel...he turned it into a very funny extended bit/vamp, in the middle of the song. I'm a Goddam Goner Gal, and there "ain't no cure"!

Talk about all of your favourite drummers.

BERNARD 'BUDDY' RICH IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, he might be the best ever.

I'd add to my own list Phil Ehart (Kansas). They did some fairly complicated stuff, and he made it sound pretty smooth and easy, to me. I guess the 2 other guys I mentioned (C. Beauford & S. Copeland) give me the same impression or have the same effect on me.

In the "fucking mind-blowingly insane" category

Sean Reinert

Billy Cobham

Gavin Harrison

In the "awesomely talented" category

Bill Bruford

Martin Axenrot

Steve Gadd

Flo Mounier

In the "extremely talented but not my style" category

Terry Bozzio

Buddy Rich

Derek Roddy

Patrick Robert

The name Terry Bozzio sounds familiar. I think he was the drummer on a Brecker Brothers LP I used to have called "Heavy Metal Bebop"(even the album cover was great-so sad that Michael Brecker died). Unfortunately I haven't seen that one on cd...some of it was reissued on a compilation but I'd rather have the album.

Mitchel, Pert, Moon, and Bonzo of coarse! Likely the big reason I started playing in the first place where those guy's.

Other great's ... dam there are so many good one's dead and alive! Ed Shaughnessy, Gean Crupa, Spike Jone's and, I can't forget the king of the Jazz solo and the inventor of the double bass drum kit, LOUIE BELLSON!!!

http://louiebellson.info/music-59.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRwu1ZNaQ7w...mp;feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8NSVGZWafg

:drumz:

Archived