JohnBonham =ZEPPELIN

Alan White = YES

Drummer from TOOL

Lars= from METALLICA

Ginger Baker = from CREAM

Phil Collins = from GENESIS

John Bonham's not your style?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I don't know if anyone has mentioned him but I like Roger Taylor (from Queen)

He can sing too...

and he plays most instruments I am pretty sure...

I don't know much about him outside of Queen... must Wiki him...

Actually I don't know if anyone has mentioned him but I like Roger Taylor (from Queen)

I enjoy his singing too. He's really great on I'm in love with my car. Must be pretty difficult to drum and sing at the same time :blink: .

• 5 months later...

John Bonham - My idol B)B)

Nick Mason - Very underrated

Ringo Starr - Takes alot of crap and doesn't deserve it

Charlie Watts - Most certainly a favorite

John Densmore - Very, very underrated

The Rhythm Devils (Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann) - from one of my favorite bands (but all of these drummers are that I list)

Keith Moon - No list would be right without Moon the Loon

Levon Helm - Probably my favorite singing drummer

Mitch Mitchell - The best drummer Hendrix ever had

Ginger Baker - His work with Cream is mind blowing

Steve Gorman - What a huge talent

I dunno if I posted in here before....here's an updated list from me.

Gavin Harrison

Sean Reinert

Tony Williams

Steve Gadd

Patrick Robert

Robert Wyatt

And every other drummer who's managed to transcend just playing a "beat", and actually played music on their drums.

I've felt that way about Bill Bruford for a long time.

He's pretty good that way. The key is to think compositionally about drumming, and not just hammer in as many fast fills or complicated crap that you can manage.

Certainly having lots of cymbals helps, and it helps to know some melodic theory, so you can tune you drums in creative ways, like I think Terry Bozzio does.

Listen to Tony Williams' drumming on the Miles Davis album Nefertiti to get an idea about what I'm talking about.

He's pretty good that way. The key is to think compositionally about drumming, and not just hammer in as many fast fills or complicated crap that you can manage.

Certainly having lots of cymbals helps, and it helps to know some melodic theory, so you can tune you drums in creative ways, like I think Terry Bozzio does.

Listen to Tony Williams' drumming on the Miles Davis album Nefertiti to get an idea about what I'm talking about.

I haven't heard Nefertiti yet, so far I've heard Bitches Brew, Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way. I'll be sure to check it out.

That first statement is pretty much the corner stone of drumming for jazz, IMO. Fusion is tricky, considering both the compositional element, as well as the beat element must be present when mixing rock and jazz. Billy Cobham was probably the best fusion drummer, absolutely amazing control. He could rock a good beat, but could make music with his drums. He is amazing on the 'Birds of Fire' album.

I don't know if you've heard about this, but on Boston's debut album, the band experimented and used drum harmonies. Not the first band you would think of for creative drumming, but its a unique idea to do harmonies with drums.

Boston eh? I don't think I've heard any of their albums in full, but I'll be sure to check that one out now.

I agree on Billy Cobham, I really like watching him play slower jazz on a small kit though, because he gets really creative, and according to him likes it more than the virtuoso drumming he does in fusion.

Boston eh? I don't think I've heard any of their albums in full, but I'll be sure to check that one out now.

I haven't heard the harmonies personally, but according to Allmusic.com in their review of "More Than a Feeling"...

Tom Scholz overdubbed so many harmonies -- vocal harmonies, guitar harmonies, possibly even bass harmonies and the previously unheard of percussion harmonies -- that it's possible to see Boston's big hit "More Than a Feeling" as nothing more than a florid studio creation.

Archived