Awesome drummers

bonhamfreak

Gene Krupa is indeed great. The Benny Goodman orchestra actually played at my grandparents' wedding :o I have no idea how they managed that. I don't think they were that "connected" :lol:

Yeah, I remember you told me about that once on the old forums, nine - pretty amazing, huh?! Do you know which year it was though?

:yesnod: 'Soul Sacrifice' at Woodstock is unbelievable. And he's just a kid there, basically, playing for half a million people. :lol:

Also agree with you, Jethro, about Barriemore Barlow - definitely one of the best drummers in rock.

I can just imagine what Shrieve was saying to himself at that moment :lol:

I agree with you and Jethro about Barlow. Great drummer ! I'd also include the drummer he replaced in Tull, Clive Bunker

In the "fucking mind-blowingly insane" category

Sean Reinert

Billy Cobham

Gavin Harrison

In the "awesomely talented" category

Bill Bruford

Martin Axenrot

Steve Gadd

Flo Mounier

In the "extremely talented but not my style" category

Terry Bozzio

Buddy Rich

Derek Roddy

Patrick Robert

Gavin Harrison is brilliant. My kind of drummer. B)

Thanks Levee. :)

Chick Webb was featured prominently on the Ken Burns Jazz Documentary

51HtgdKiNRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cheers JT,I'll have to search it out. :)

Two pages in and no one has mentioned Ringo? For shame...

ringo_starr.jpg

Other faves:

billberry.jpg

charlie_watts543.jpg

Now I'm in my car

Oh, I got the radio on

Now I'm yellin' at the kids in the back seat

'cause they're bangin' like Charlie Watts

- John Hiatt "Slow Turning"

..and who could forget the incomparable George Jetson.

Sorry Jahfin,Ringo doesn't feature in my Awesome Drummers list,at all.But his son Zak would.

This will be my only post today. I need to take a break from the computer. I'm sure a few of you are happy about that.

Dharma For One started out as an instrumental on the first Tull LP in 1968. By 1970, lyrics were added and it became a live showcase for Clive Bunkers drumming. It's a long song on two separate youtube streams. The long drum solo is on the second part. I noticed there is another video of the song of a Tanglewood show in 1970. You can see how the song progressed (shortened and cleaned up) into the Carnegie Hall Phoenix House benefit version that was eventually was released on 1972's compilation Living in the Past.

Jethro Tull/1970 Isle of Wight/Dharma For One 1 of 2/Drum Solo

Jethro Tull/1970 Isle of Wight/Dharma For One 2 of 2/Drum Solo

How come no one has mentioned Stewart Copeland (The Police) yet? :blink:

stewart_copeland.jpg

He's freakin awesome, I saw him live and felt sorry for his drums, he beats the s**t out of them!!

He's a great one alright :)

Another guy I like is Steve Ferrone. He doesn't stand out with Tom Petty but his stuff with Average White Band is amazing.

Stewart isn't quite as fast as he once was, although he's no modern Ginger Baker. He's still a very good drummer and unquestionably one of the best, if not one of the most overlooked drummers in rock history. His style was as much an element to the Police's sound as any of it.

Stewart isn't quite as fast as he once was, although he's no modern Ginger Baker. He's still a very good drummer and unquestionably one of the best, if not one of the most overlooked drummers in rock history. His style was as much an element to the Police's sound as any of it.

Absolutely! Stewart was a very integral part of the band's sound which is why it used to infuriate me when people would call them Sting and the Police.

He's done a lot of soundtrack and other interesting stuff post the band.

Archived