The Rock

redrum

Talkin' 'bout Alcatraz. How many have been there? What did you think? Lots of history there too. There's quite a view of San Francisco from the island. I've been there about 5 times or so when I lived in the bay area and I remember when I was a kid in SF my Mom used to take me fishing at Muni Pier in the 50's and that was right where they took the prisoners over by boat. I'm also pen pals with Whitey Thompson who was there as a prisoner. He's a great guy, married and gives speeches to try to steer guys away from crime. See it if you can. B)

alcatraz4.jpg

A Block (the old cells)

I've never been there, but I've got friends who have.

I've always been interested in the place though, ever since seeing Clint Eastwood's Escape From Alcatraz years ago.

I few week ago I saw a very interesting documentary about every escape attempt that was made.

I've never been there, but I've got friends who have.

I've always been interested in the place though, ever since seeing Clint Eastwood's Escape From Alcatraz years ago.

I few week ago I saw a very interesting documentary about every escape attempt that was made.

If you can find a copy of 'Alcatraz: The Whole Shocking Story' with Telly Savalas it's the true story about the 1946 escape attempt as seen through the eyes of Clarence Carnes who was involved in the escape. Savalas plays the cold blooded Joe Cretzer.

Inside Alcatraz between the cell blocks you can still see the scarred floors from when the Marines tossed hand grenades down through holes they had cut in the roof.

If you can find a copy of 'Alcatraz: The Whole Shocking Story' with Telly Savalas it's the true story about the 1946 escape attempt as seen through the eyes of Clarence Carnes who was involved in the escape. Savalas plays the cold blooded Joe Cretzer.

Inside Alcatraz between the cell blocks you can still see the scarred floors from when the Marines tossed hand grenades down through holes they had cut in the roof.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that. I rent DVDs online from LoveFilm, but they don't seem to have it unfortunately.

Hi all,

Been there a couple times.You know it was first a Civil War fort?There are good videos on History.com: Cities of the Underground about the Rock.

KB

I have a book on the whole history of the island and it even talks about how they destroyed the big cannons after the civil war. Humongous explosions. :huh:

If there weren't white sharks or frigid waters, I'd love to swim from Alcatraz to Frisco.

I swam across the Delaware last fall...but the river doesn't have too many dangers..except huge tree debris. <_<

I kinda doubt there are any white sharks in the bay. They are 20 miles out at the Farralones Islands.

Hypothermia would most likely get you.

In 1955 Jack LaLanne (then age 41) swam from Alcatraz to Fisherman's Wharf while handcuffed!!

In 1974 at age 60 he did the same thing, except this time he was towing a 1,000 lb boat!!

:huh:B)

I'm also pen pals with Whitey Thompson who was there as a prisoner. He's a great guy, married and gives speeches to try to steer guys away from crime.

I hadn't heard from Whitey in a while and just found out he passed away in 2005. :(

He wrote a couple of great books on his prison experience and also wrote one about a guy who hates litterbugs so much that he kills them. :D

R.I.P. 'ol buddy.

Archived