Nickelback leads Juno noms

The Pagemeister

Nickelback leads Juno noms

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

nickelback256.jpg

Nickelback (File photo)

TORONTO — Nickelback leads the charge heading into this year’s Juno Awards, nabbing five nominations.

The Alberta rockers earned five nods, including fan choice, single of the year, album of the year, group of the year and producer of the year.

“Dark Horse,” the band’s latest album, was one of the most anticipated releases of last year and has topped the charts.

But Nickelback also has its share of detractors and, stung by bad press, frontman Chad Kroeger did virtually no print interviews to promote the new release.

Montreal’s Sam Roberts scored four Juno nominations while diva Celine Dion and Vancouver band Hedley each nabbed three.

Montreal phenom Nikki Yanofsky also had a strong Juno showing with nominations for best new artist and best vocal jazz album of the year.

The Juno Awards — celebrating the best in Canadian music — will be held in Vancouver on March 29.

Nickelback is set to perform at the show as is Vancouver’s Sarah McLachlan and Toronto band City and Colour — nominated for artist of the year and songwriter of the year — and Montreal band Simple Plan, which is up for album of the year and group of the year.

For the second year in a row, the gala will be helmed by comedian Russell Peters.

I can't believe this, really...

There's so much outstanding Canadian talent that never makes it out of the bar scene, yet Nickelback gets 5 freaking Juno nominations. The Junos should focus on promoting the struggling Canadian artists who actually need and deserve the exposure. Not only does Nickelback not need any more exposure, they really SUCK!!!! The record companies need to open their eyes and stop coming out with the same old shit, who knows, maybe people will start buying stuff again!!

There's so much outstanding Canadian talent that never makes it out of the bar scene, yet Nickelback gets 5 freaking Juno nominations. The Junos should focus on promoting the struggling Canadian artists who actually need and deserve the exposure. Not only does Nickelback not need any more exposure, they really SUCK!!!! The record companies need to open their eyes and stop coming out with the same old shit, who knows, maybe people will start buying stuff again!!

Well said....I've seen plenty of bands that could blow the asses off of Nickleback, and yet they're not getting anywhere. It's pretty sad.

I'd love to hear some recommendations of good local bands :D

I'd love to hear some recommendations of good local bands :D

If you like blues guitar as I do I recommend this guy-- ;D

Jack de Keyzer:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zEoBaokZXGo

He plays a lot near me and I always try to go. He's actually even won a Juno. It just seems like a lot of musicians here just can't get off the ground... I guess we don't have the population to make rock stars out of people. Except Nickelback. :blink:

If you like blues guitar as I do I recommend this guy-- ;D

Jack de Keyzer:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zEoBaokZXGo

He plays a lot near me and I always try to go. He's actually even won a Juno. It just seems like a lot of musicians here just can't get off the ground... I guess we don't have the population to make rock stars out of people. Except Nickelback. :blink:

Cool thanks for the tip! That's a shame you've got so many musicians that remain under the radar.

I don't know if there's an electronica category in the Junos (I don't really give a shit), but this man deserves some kind of award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Snares

Also, Godspeed You! Black Emperor deserve about 500 lifetime achievement awards and a formal apology for not having already received any kind of award.

Hi:

The Juno Awards have come a long way..it's a pretty good show now

Even if artists aren't nominated they still have loyal fans, success and work in Canada...I saw an ad for Kathleen Edwards' show next week in London..it's already sold out...

Juliet

PS Have a good weekend all... :wave:

Well said....I've seen plenty of bands that could blow the asses off of Nickleback, and yet they're not getting anywhere. It's pretty sad.

That's because Nickelback is cliched corporate rock. They play it safe and churn out the same poo on every album. I have no respect for them as musicians or their "manifested egos."

Hello:

Jahfin...I hope you enjoy Kathleen's show...She has been on Austin City Limits...and The David Letterman show..

BSB:..I like N'back's cover of Sharp Dressed Man..their latest video makes me nauseous especially the final verse/scenes with the girls (mostly blondes) bouncing in the backgound in their tank tops.. :rolleyes:

Chad the singer/frontman has had some troubles with a DUI charge..I hope he can put it behind him and others learn from his stupid mistake...I never drink and drive...I'd be up the creek if I couldn't drive for a year...plus I'd lose my job....I'd have no way out of town....worst of all..I'd have to walk to the Mall....

Juliet :coffee:

PS GO FOR A SODA..... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Nickelback scores at Junos

nickelback-cp-6483926.jpg

After starting this year's Juno Award festivities with a leading number of nominations, Alberta rockers Nickelback stayed on top — winning several coveted trophies in Vancouver on Sunday night.

Vancouver's adopted sons, originally from Hanna, Alta., kicked off the Canadian music awards celebration with a pyrotechnics-laden performance of their song Something in Your Mouth.

They then proceeded to win group of the year, as well as the fan choice award.

"We have been doing this for awhile now, since '96, and to win this — group of the year — is absolutely amazing," Nickelback frontman Chad Kroeger said as he accepted the trophy for best group.

The festivities included influential producer Bob Rock inducting the members of Loverboy into the Canadian Rock Hall of Fame.

"We are honoured to be here tonight…. What a ride this has been," drummer Matt Frenette said.

In their speeches, the band members also paid tribute to their late bassist Scott Smith, who died in a boating accident in 2000.

"I know you got the best seat in the house up there in rock 'n' roll heaven. We sure do miss you," lead singer Mike Reno said.

City and Colour, Kardinal among early winners

The first award of the evening was for songwriter of the year, with k.d. lang and Buffy Sainte-Marie presenting it to Dallas Green, who performs solo as City and Colour. Green is also the frontman of rock outfit Alexisonfire.

Green thanked his wife, his family and "anybody who's ever tried to write their own song."

Kardinal Offishall accepted the Juno for best rap recording via video message from Europe, adding the trophy to the one he picked up Saturday night (best single for Dangerous).

"Next year, we'll do 90 per cent hip hop and only 10 per cent lifetime achievement awards to Nickelback," the rapper quipped, before congratulating the rockers.

Exuberant singer Lights picked up the best new artist Juno.

"I was so not expecting this," she gushed.

"It's really amazing that someone can do something independently and win on such a massive scale."

Sam Roberts, Sarah McLachlan, The Stills and City and Colour, joined by Gord Downie, also took to the Juno stage for performances.

Comedian Russell Peters, who won a Gemini Award for hosting the 2008 Junos, returned for a second gig as emcee, making his entrance amid in a Bollywood-inspired dance number before switching to breakdancing.

Peters proceeded to launch into an opening monologue that quickly skewered Nickelback, McLachlan, Michael Phelps, former Barenaked Ladies singer Steven Page, Anne Murray and Loverboy.

Screaming fans gather alongside red carpet

Some of the red-carpet guests, including Serena Ryder and Divine Brown, waltzed in already bestowed with Juno honours from Saturday night's non-televised awards dinner (where Ryder's is it o.k. won best adult alternative album and Brown's The Love Chronicles won best R&B/Soul recording).

Other winners Saturday night included:

* Aboriginal album: Running for the Drum, Buffy Sainte-Marie

* Alternative album: Oceans Will Rise, The Stills

* Country recording: Beautiful Life, Doc Walker

* Traditional jazz album: Second Time Around, Oliver Jones

* Classical album, Solo or Chamber Ensemble: Homage, James Ehnes

* Classical album, Vocal or Choral Performance: Gloria! Vivaldi's Angels, Ensemble Caprice

* Blues album: Ramblin' Son, Julian Fauth

* Pop album: Flavors of Entanglement, Alanis Morissette

* Rock album: Love at the End of the World, Sam Roberts

* International album: Viva La Vida, Coldplay

• 1 month later...

You act like Nickelback never struggled at the bar scene and their fame was handed to them on a silver platter. Have you checked out Sons of Albion (Robert Plant's son's band). They are good, and with a name like Logan Plant, you would think they would have hit the big time. However, how many thousands of little struggling bands never get discovered?

Even Led Zeppelin, as huge as they were, never pulled in the awards...poor things...as LZ laughs all the way to the bank.

Anyway, if the purpose of the Juno Awards was to find undiscovered talent, then yes, Nickelback scoring is wrong. But if it's anything like the Grammy's, it's not about little-known talents out there, it's about commercial success, a popularity contest and I'm sure behind the scenes very political.

I like Nickelback, but really the awards shows mean nothing to me because of the above-stated reasons.

Just my two-cents' worth.

Peace & Love,

Barb

Anyway, if the purpose of the Juno Awards was to find undiscovered talent, then yes, Nickelback scoring is wrong. But if it's anything like the Grammy's, it's not about little-known talents out there, it's about commercial success, a popularity contest and I'm sure behind the scenes very political.

I've seen artists like Steve Earle, John Prine and others take home Grammys but they're not exactly household names. I do agree that some of the bigger awards are usually handed to fairly well known artists though. The Oscars do a much better job of recognizing relatively unknown/indie type films where the Grammys are infinitely more mainstream for the most part.

You act like Nickelback never struggled at the bar scene and their fame was handed to them on a silver platter. Have you checked out Sons of Albion (Robert Plant's son's band). They are good, and with a name like Logan Plant, you would think they would have hit the big time. However, how many thousands of little struggling bands never get discovered?

Even Led Zeppelin, as huge as they were, never pulled in the awards...poor things...as LZ laughs all the way to the bank.

I like Nickelback, but really the awards shows mean nothing to me because of the above-stated reasons.

Just my two-cents' worth.

Peace & Love,

Barb

I know that the Junos are a popularity contest like the Grammys. And the award shows don't mean anything to me either. BUT I think the Junos, if they really cared at all about Canadian music, should take more of a responsibility to try to promote struggling bands, because of the nature of the Canadian music scene. The Canadian music scene is very different from the American one; Canadian bands really struggle because there just isn't a big enough audience for them to be successful here. In America the population is just so big that its 1000 times easier for their bands to succeed. I'm not saying that the Junos should 100% dedicate themselves to promoting obscure undiscovered bands, because that's not possible, unfortunately business and politics always take precedence to a large degree, as you noted. But given that Canada's entertainment market is so dependent on the American one and that our own homegrown music and culture ends up taking a backseat to whatever corporate shit will make the most money from the American market (i.e. NICKELBACK) , I think it would be nice if the Junos could make a LITTLE bit more effort to promote Canadian culture-- giving Nickelback five awards is doing the exact opposite of that. It makes them look like they don't even care one bit about the Canadian culture dilemma.

And I'm not acting like Nickelback never struggled in the bar scene. And yes there are thousands of little bands that never make it, that's my point. Nickelback is the perfect example of corporate rock, all their songs sound the same and this is on purpose to make more money. Regardless of whether you like the band or not, they are not so much a band but a business project, like much of today's popular cookie cutter music Other, better, Canadian artists deserve the spotlight more than Nickelback does. Canadian institutions, that could be in the position to promote Canadian music, such as the Junos, should take more of a responsibility to do so. Because bands like Nickelback don't need to be promoted when they are already so hugely successful.

Good points Songbird ! The Juno's at one time were in fact a little more progressive when it came to taking in the whole Canadian music scene. Nowaday's it's become a poor mans version of the Grammy's which IMHO, were never progressive. The Juno organizers are taking the easy route these day's and tend to record sales success. Too bad really because in years past, they were good at bringing great regional artrists to national recognition.

Songbird,

I love open, honest, non-hostile discussions about music. So thank you for that.

I loved hearing about the cultural music differences between the US and Canada. I like that you take pride in your country's contribution to music. I don't think we in America have that mindset.

We may not take the position of "look what we've contributed." You can come from anywhere and Americans will give it a chance...such as Led Zeppelin.

I personally don't look at bands as Canadian, American, European, etc. To me, I either like you or I don't.

BTW, you have great sentence structure, grammar, and well-laid out thoughts. I love good writing. Sorry, that was way off topic.

It's been nice getting to know you.

imPLANTed

Archived