Edge says Zeppelin/Jack White influenced new U2 cd...

Wolfman

I have only heard the first track that was released to the airwaves...i would say i really like it, except i can't get past the title, or when Bono sings the title in the lyrics. If he could just go back, change the name, and replace it with something that makes sense to me, i would be much happier. I hope the rest of the album sounds just as good, minus the part that leaves me feeling really bad about this new CD.

I know i will never love another U2 album as much i have loved in the past...

i would say i really like it, except i can't get past the title, or when Bono sings the title in the lyrics. If he could just go back, change the name, and replace it with something that makes sense to me, i would be much happier.

Just like "Vertigo" was originally MUCH better as "Native Son". Ever heard that? Same song, much more purposeful and less silly. I know what you mean.

I love U2. But I miss the good ol' days, Joshua Tree and older. "War" is a monster.

I have only heard the first track that was released to the airwaves...i would say i really like it, except i can't get past the title, or when Bono sings the title in the lyrics. If he could just go back, change the name, and replace it with something that makes sense to me, i would be much happier. I hope the rest of the album sounds just as good, minus the part that leaves me feeling really bad about this new CD.

I know i will never love another U2 album as much i have loved in the past...

Wouldn't you want to hear the full album before deciding whether you like it more/less than others?

I'm really looking forward to hearing it!

I liked that song that u2 opened the grammy show with, had a very good guitar riff. it might be one of the songs that -edge was referring to, with a page influence.

I liked the song too but I'm more curious about the songs that were influenced from them being in Morocco :D

Just like "Vertigo" was originally MUCH better as "Native Son". Ever heard that? Same song, much more purposeful and less silly. I know what you mean.

I love U2. But I miss the good ol' days, Joshua Tree and older. "War" is a monster.

Actually, i don't think i ever heard Native Son. I looked it up, and see it's on the complete unreleased and rare CD, and i don't have that! Something i need to get.

I love all U2's albums from Boy to Zooropa, after that, i still enjoyed their albums, but became more picky about the songs...and i just don't believe they will ever sound "better" than they did in the past. Still, i am a die hard fan! Bono is my hero, lol.

Wouldn't you want to hear the full album before deciding whether you like it more/less than others?

I'm really looking forward to hearing it!

You may have a point, but i know i will never love any U2 album more than Achtung Baby (it's amazing and one of my top ten all time favorites of any band) or Rattle and Hum. I consider these two masterpieces, and i just feel U2's best work is behind them. They can't improve on perfection...but i am looking forward to hearing the new album, too!

When i watched U2 open the grammy's i saw a very familiar scene. Bono has the same great moves, but i didn't see anything different...doesn't matter anyway :)

All righty, so this is all probably jumping the gun, as I've only heard a 30-second preview of Get on Your Boots and nothing else, but...does anybody else feel that they're being major trend-followers by basing their sound on Zeppelin? Frankly, they're a little late to the party, what with the White Stripes, Wolfmother, etc. going around.

I mean, I'm glad they're picking such a good band to model their album after, but I dunno, I always really liked U2 precisely because they had their own sound. When other '80s bands got mired in new wave or hair metal, U2 came through by doing their own thing and not following the current trend. If it was any other band, I'd say, hell yeah, bring on the Zeppy-ness, but I want U2 to just be U2.

That said, I didn't detect a ton of LZ influence in the snippet of Get on Your Boots, so maybe they're just delusional and I'm just wasting my breath. On the other hand, that's only one song, and I didn't even hear all of it, so maybe the other songs have more of a Zep sound than this one. Guess we'll find out!

All righty, so this is all probably jumping the gun, as I've only heard a 30-second preview of Get on Your Boots and nothing else, but...does anybody else feel that they're being major trend-followers by basing their sound on Zeppelin? Frankly, they're a little late to the party, what with the White Stripes, Wolfmother, etc. going around.

I mean, I'm glad they're picking such a good band to model their album after, but I dunno, I always really liked U2 precisely because they had their own sound. When other '80s bands got mired in new wave or hair metal, U2 came through by doing their own thing and not following the current trend. If it was any other band, I'd say, hell yeah, bring on the Zeppy-ness, but I want U2 to just be U2.

That said, I didn't detect a ton of LZ influence in the snippet of Get on Your Boots, so maybe they're just delusional and I'm just wasting my breath. On the other hand, that's only one song, and I didn't even hear all of it, so maybe the other songs have more of a Zep sound than this one. Guess we'll find out!

Influences can be subtle so it's possible the essence of what they feel Zep is about is what they put into some of the new album. Which to me is more effective than a band trying to sound like another band. I love their sound too but I also love the fact they want to evolve and explore new things. But as you said, we've just heard the one song and it's hard to say what the rest of the album will be. Not too much longer to find out!

Archived