Led Zeppelin's Whereabouts Dec 29 & 31 1968

SteveAJones

It's been accepted for some time Led Zeppelin performed in Portland, Oregon on Dec 31st 1968 as a non-billed opener for Vanilla Fudge. However, can anyone substantiate the venue?

Also, there is an unconfirmed rumor they may have played in Salem, OR on Dec 29th 1968 instead of taking the day off between shows. Can anyone substantiate they played Salem on this date?

these two dates have been a mystery forever it seems. On "another site" there is a section dedicated to having members scour their local libraries backcatelogs of local newpapers on microfische, or checking with radio dj's active on rock stations in the area at the time, or by searching for employees/owners of the clubs themselves if they no longer exist. Numerous dates have been confirmed by the sites users....all gigs never before mentioned by the likes of Dave Lewis or Robert Godwin. I personally did some of the research on the Wheaton Youth Center in Rockville (1.20.69)and talked to the dj that promoted it and also got a first hand account from another person who attended.(it was'nt pretty :lol: )

Seems all the research done on the 31st has come up with intertwining conflict to the 29th...as in....one or the other happened, not sure which, or maybe both. The mystery continues. :wacko:

We need someone here who lives in the area in question to research this one further. Libraries are your friend ;)

I would like to know myself, because I still think they played twice in SLC in 68/69.

I can't help it that my memory is blank on that. Same with the friends I went to the concerts with, they don't remember either.

I remember the story of them driving in a blizzard, and the road they took, I think was through SLC...to Spokane.

:blink:

:huh: .

It's been accepted for some time Led Zeppelin performed in Portland, Oregon on Dec 31st 1968 as a non-billed opener for Vanilla Fudge. However, can anyone substantiate the venue?

Also, there is an unconfirmed rumor they may have played in Salem, OR on Dec 29th 1968 instead of taking the day off between shows. Can anyone substantiate they played Salem on this date?

'

Try Mike Caldwell at ALLEXPERTS Google "Led Zeppelin in Portland" He claims to be an authority

Accepted but not entirely corroborated. Apparently, Led Zeppelin was in Portland on December 31, 1968, but Vanilla Fudge was in San Francisco that night at the Fillmore West.

The Band Log: 1968

31 December: Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA

Vanilla Fudge headline New Years Eve show with Richie Havens, The Youngbloods & Cold Blood.

http://www.vanillafudge.com/journal/bandlog68.htm

Also, it seems Led Zeppelin performed on December 29, 1968 in New York City so that does not substantiate an appearance in Salem, Oregon on that date.

Led Zeppelin Tour Dates

1st U.S. TOUR

26/12/1968 Denver, Colorado

27/12/1968 Seattle Center Arena, Seattle, Washington

28/12/1968 Boston Tea Party, Boston, Massachusetts

29/12/1968 New York, New York

30/12/1968 The Gymnasium, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington

31/12/1968 Portland, Oregon

ledzeppelin.alexreisner.com/tourdates

Perhaps the facts need review and maybe there's a reason for the discrepancy in reports.

It's conceivable that Led Zeppelin could have flown from San Francisco to Portland if they had played in San Francisco very early in the day, because it is a short flight.

A flight from New York City to Salem, Oregon on the same day may not have occurred in time for all the changes in airports, hotels and venues, so I doubt that.

;) nice detective work! B)

Many early Zep gigs were fill in dates not listed in any print on their itineraries, or even advertised in local papers before the shows themselves.(like the Wheaton 69 show i mentioned) Looking for snippets of reviews from papers a day or two after these dates is the key.

LOTS of "accepted" lore of early Zep has been either confirmed or debunked in the recent advent of hardcore Zep enthusiasts finding each other on the net and doing their own research for their own little part of the world. Local papers, people's accounts, and such have helped so much with these kind of things. Not even the most notable authorities on all things Zep have it 100% right. This date...the 31st....has also been challanged to actually BE the 29th. Someone from the area will have to dig a little deeper I'm afraid.

And the three people who I would ask last for any reaccount or details are the members of Zep themselves. I toured with a band as road mgr for close to 10 yrs with an even busier schedule than Zep had, and trust me...it all becomes a blur. And when it's all said and done, only the highs and lows are remembered, not the day to day business as usual stuff.

that Boston show you have listed on the 28th, can't be right. They were in Vancouver @ the Pacific Colluseum. That would make no sence geographically. Same goes for the NY show. All those Dec 68 shows in the NW were done via ground transportation. After the 29th, in what was believed to be a Portland gig, they spent New Year's Eve driving in a blizzard. Their vivid account of thier trek through the snow on New Years Eve are something I believe would remain fresh in a person's memory. Being in NY would not jive w/ that.

;) nice detective work! B)

Many early Zep gigs were fill in dates not listed in any print on their itineraries, or even advertised in local papers before the shows themselves.(like the Wheaton 69 show i mentioned) Looking for snippets of reviews from papers a day or two after these dates is the key.

LOTS of "accepted" lore of early Zep has been either confirmed or debunked in the recent advent of hardcore Zep enthusiasts finding each other on the net and doing their own research for their own little part of the world. Local papers, people's accounts, and such have helped so much with these kind of things. Not even the most notable authorities on all things Zep have it 100% right. This date...the 31st....has also been challanged to actually BE the 29th. Someone from the area will have to dig a little deeper I'm afraid.

And the three people who I would ask last for any reaccount or details are the members of Zep themselves. I toured with a band as road mgr for close to 10 yrs with an even busier schedule than Zep had, and trust me...it all becomes a blur. And when it's all said and done, only the highs and lows are remembered, not the day to day business as usual stuff.

29 December: New Capital Theatre, NY

Vanilla Fudge headline. "Charles Lloyd Quartet" opening act.

www.vanillafudge.com/journal/bandlog68

Led Zeppelin Tour Dates

1st U.S. TOUR

That would make more sense; both bands appeared in New York that night. If Led Zeppelin opened for Vanilla Fudge on December 29, 1968, the venue would have been the New Capital Theatre.

:)

I'm led to believe the 26,27,28th to be openers for the Fudge, maybe not the 29th. Then again on the 30th. Page himself was quoted,"In Seattle, Portland, and those places, we were not even billed. We just walked out and said, 'Well actually, We're Led Zeppelin'. You can imagine the reaction of the crowd. They were quite warm receptions actually, but nothing like what happened later.".......Not that I would place bets on Page's exact memory of time and place, but to actually mention Portland......and being that it was their first handfull of US dates ever, I would imagine this time he might have it right. And considering these geogrphical locations are not exactly right next door to each other...they are quite a haul by ground actually.

**quote taken from Dave Lewis' Concert File....and I also checked Godwin's Press Reports....nothing in either about Boston or NYC during that stretch.

I'm led to believe the 26,27,28th to be openers for the Fudge, maybe not the 29th. Then again on the 30th. Page himself was quoted,"In Seattle, Portland, and those places, we were not even billed. We just walked out and said, 'Well actually, We're Led Zeppelin'. You can imagine the reaction of the crowd. They were quite warm receptions actually, but nothing like what happened later.".......Not that I would place bets on Page's exact memory of time and place, but to actually mention Portland......and being that it was their first handfull of US dates ever, I would imagine this time he might have it right. And considering these geogrphical locations are not exactly right next door to each other...they are quite a haul by ground actually.

**quote taken from Dave Lewis' Concert File....and I also checked Godwin's Press Reports....nothing in either about Boston or NYC during that stretch.

That would have been either Denver, Seattle, Boston or Spokane for those dates for Led Zeppelin.

Vanilla Fudge does not list a date for December 30 as being one of its concert dates.

1st U.S. TOUR

30/12/1968 The Gymnasium, Gonzaga University, Spokane, Washington

Ah, bingo!

26 December: Denver Coliseum, CO

Vanilla Fudge headline. Spirit & Led Zeppelin opening acts (this was LZ's first US concert)

27 December: Center Arena, Seattle, Wash.,

Vanilla Fudge share bill with Led Zeppelin.

28 December: Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, Canada.

Vanilla Fudge headline. Led Zeppelin open.

Vanilla Fudge headline. "Charles Lloyd Quartet" opening act.

31 December: Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA

Vanilla Fudge headline New Years Eve show with Richie Havens, The Youngbloods & Cold Blood.

But there is a discrepancy for Boston. Did Led Zeppelin actually perform in Boston? They could not have been in Vancouver, Canada at the same time if they were appearing with Vanilla Fudge on December 28, 1968. Led Zeppelin would have needed to cancel their Boston appearance to be in Vancouver, Canada on the same date.

According to an interview in The Toronto Sun, JPJ & his wife Mo got off the flight in Newark to spend a few days with friends while the rest continued out West. I show the the others landed in LA Dec 23rd, with the first show in Denver Dec 26th.

What it all comes down to is my original inquiry: Assuming they did perform in Portland

on Dec 31st, based on Cole's recollection of driving afterward to Seattle in the snowstorm

(to catch the flight to LA), what was the venue in Portland and can anyone confirm they played Salem, OR on their off date of Dec 29th? They were unbilled for at least two of the

Vanilla Fudge dates.

They did not perform in New York or Boston in December 1968; that is clearly wrong.

This seems to conflict with The VF Band Log.

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=274&auctionid=212

Lot 274. Led Zeppelin December 29, 1968 Ticket With Envelope

This is Zep’s fourth ever U.S. concert at Portland, Oregon’s Civic auditorium. Their name is not listed, but nonetheless, a true wonder in its omission of a then future legendary band. NRMT.

Reserve: $400

C15121.jpg

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Led-Zeppelin-50...Portland-68.htm

Mike Caldwell reports: "Be careful on this, the Portland show was actually December 29th, not the 31st as previously reported. Actually they opened for Vanilla Fudge and Spirit this night and at Gonzaga, December 30th."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Led-Zeppelin-50...oncert-1968.htm

He also report that "Plant was sick during those days, probably why he wasn't out after the show."

According to an interview in The Toronto Sun, JPJ & his wife Mo got off the flight in Newark to spend a few days with friends while the rest continued out West. I show the the others landed in LA Dec 23rd, with the first show in Denver Dec 26th.

What it all comes down to is my original inquiry: Assuming they did perform in Portland

on Dec 31st, based on Cole's recollection of driving afterward to Seattle in the snowstorm

(to catch the flight to LA), what was the venue in Portland and can anyone confirm they played Salem, OR on their off date of Dec 29th? They were unbilled for at least two of the

Vanilla Fudge dates.

They did not perform in New York or Boston in December 1968; that is clearly wrong.

You can add Cole to the list of people on the inside who's information has been a bit fuzzy at times to say the least. ;) Especially after a quick read of his book. :o

"There's a book written by our former road manager, Richard Cole that has made me completely ill. I'm so mad about it that I can't even bring myself to read the whole thing. The two bits that I have read are so ridiculously false, that I'm sure if I read the rest I'd be able to sue Cole and the publishers. But it would be so painful to read that it wouldn't be worth it." (JPP)

This seems to conflict with The VF Band Log.

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=274&auctionid=212

Lot 274. Led Zeppelin December 29, 1968 Ticket With Envelope

This is Zep’s fourth ever U.S. concert at Portland, Oregon’s Civic auditorium. Their name is not listed, but nonetheless, a true wonder in its omission of a then future legendary band. NRMT.

Reserve: $400

C15121.jpg

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Led-Zeppelin-50...Portland-68.htm

Mike Caldwell reports: "Be careful on this, the Portland show was actually December 29th, not the 31st as previously reported. Actually they opened for Vanilla Fudge and Spirit this night and at Gonzaga, December 30th."

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Led-Zeppelin-50...oncert-1968.htm

He also report that "Plant was sick during those days, probably why he wasn't out after the show."

Vanilla Fudge, Civic Auditorium, Portland, Oregon, December 29, 1968

So, do we have consensus on the following:

December 23 1968 Los Angeles, CA USA Los Angeles International Airport

December 23 1968 Los Angeles, CA USA (off)

December 24 1968 Los Angeles, CA USA (off)

December 25 1968 Los Angeles, CA USA (off)

December 26 1968 Denver, CO USA Denver Auditorium

December 27 1968 Seattle, WA USA Seattle Center Coliseum

December 28 1968 Vancouver, B.C., Canada Pacific National Exhibition - Argodome

December 29 1968 Portland, OR USA Civic Auditorium

December 30 1968 Spokane, WA USA Gonzaga University - JFK Pavillion

December 31 1968 Travel to Seattle thru a blizzard...airport closed upon arrival

December 31 1968 Travel to Seattle thru a blizzard...airport closed upon arrival

I'll drink to that!!! :drunk: .....another one in the books! Great work on finding that stubb Lady Goodman!!! :thumbsup:

story has it that when they arrived at the airport, not only was it shut down, but the airport bar refused to sell Plant and Bonzo a drink because they were underage! :P:lol:

I'll drink to that!!! :drunk: .....another one in the books! Great work on finding that stubb!!! :thumbsup:

story has it that when they arrived at the airport, not only was it shut down, but the airport bar refused to sell Plant and Bonzo a drink because they were underage! :P:lol:

Yes, as far as I can tell the mystery is solved. We could debate exactly when they left for Seattle (Dec 31st or Jan 1st) and how long they were stranded there, but there's really no question they would NOT have double-backed all the way to Oregon to play Salem on Dec 31st.

We know they departed Seattle for Los Angeles on January 2nd, checked into the Chateau Marmont on the Sunset Strip and played the first of two sets that night at Whiskey a-Go Go.

The second set that night was cancelled as Jimmy had a fever of 104 degrees.

Except, how do you explain

Vanilla Fudge headline. "Charles Lloyd Quartet" opening act.?

and explain

Led Zeppelin 1st U.S. TOUR

Did they not get to Portland because of the blizzard on the 31st?

Speaking of blizzards in Seattle, they've got some wintry weather happening in the Northwest right now; Interstate 5 is closed from flooding, the alternate route is 400 miles, and schools are closed.

and explain

Speaking of blizzards in Seattle, they've got some wintry weather happening in the Northwest right now; Interstate 5 is closed from flooding and the alternate route is 400 miles.

The reisner thing is clearly wrong, and the other thing is probably wrong also.

The blizzard, Dec 31st or Jan 1st, occured at least two days after Portland (Dec 29th)

as they attempted to get to the Seattle Airport for their flight to Los Angeles.

i explain it because until i see ticket stubbs or read first hand accounts/see ads/reviews from Boston/NY in dec 68 it did'nt happen. And I trust Dave Lewis and Robert Godwin more than most and both their extensive research shows no signs of the band ever having left the west coast for two gigs and then flown right back. Now that we can actually see the tix...it's a done deal IMO.

i explain it because until i see ticket stubbs or read first hand accounts/see ads/reviews from Boston/NY in dec 68 it did'nt happen. And I trust Dave Lewis and Robert Godwin more than most and both their extensive research shows no signs of the band ever having left the west coast for two gigs and then flown right back. Now that we can actually see the tix...it's a done deal IMO.

Agreed.

DECEMBER 27 - CENTER ARENA, SEATTLE, WASHINGTON (FRIDAY)

Opened (and unbilled) for Vanilla Fudge.

DECEMBER 28 - PACIFIC COLISEUM, VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA (SATURDAY, START AT 7pm)

Opened (and unbilled) for Vanilla Fudge.

DECEMBER 29 - PORTLAND, OREGON (SUNDAY, START AT 7:30pm)

Opened (and unbilled) for Vanilla Fudge. Vanilla Fudge ticket stub exists for the Portland Civic Auditorium on 12/29/68. This is more than likely the correct date for the Portland show listed as 12/31/68 but a big caution must be taken to these speculations.

www.argenteumastrum.com/1968

and explain

Speaking of blizzards in Seattle, they've got some wintry weather happening in the Northwest right now; Interstate 5 is closed from flooding, the alternate route is 400 miles, and schools are closed.

They were in Vancouver on Dec 28 That's a cert... not at the Agrodome but at the Pacific Colosseum backing up The Fudge.

Archived