What makes Zep Riffs so Funky?

McSeven

I have come to the conclusion that Zep is a Funk band. When ever I hear live Bootlegs of Zep in Action. Thier Riffs sound funky. I wonder why that is?

Is that Jonsey/Bonzo were big James Brown/Motown fans. If so. For English guys growing up, thats ver prolific.

MMHop/WTLB/The Lemon Song all sound really funky. In-fact I can't think of any song with the exception of the ballads and folk song that does not sound funky.

Mc7

They all had a fascination with American music. And during the 60s, R&B-Motown-Funk was HUGE. Well, funk was in it's early stages with James Brown for instance, but the groundwork was being laid.

All the Motown review acts that went to the UK back then were VERY POPULAR!

Just look at all those early-mid sixties British Blues bands and see how they were influenced by Black American artists. I think it's very cool.

Zep is petty far from funk. They have a few funk inspired things but calling them a funk band is a stretch. Honestly I don't think a case could be made they are a geuine blues band either and blues is funk's predecessor. Stylistically is where the most difference is, Zep songs are usually driven by drumming. That's the opposite of most blues and funk where the drumming is WAY behind the beat and has less to do with keeping time and more emphasis on groove than drive. No doubt Zep had r&b and funk influences but what they did was without doubt rock music.

I think that there is a distinction to made here between FUNK & FUNKY: Zep were never FUNK by any stretch of the imagination, but my god they were FUNKY.

It's all about the timing - Page's idiocyncratic phrasing, Bonzo's placement of the beat (and of the SPACES between), all that kind of stuff.

They bounced where others plodded.

Zep is petty far from funk. They have a few funk inspired things but calling them a funk band is a stretch. Honestly I don't think a case could be made they are a geuine blues band either and blues is funk's predecessor. Stylistically is where the most difference is, Zep songs are usually driven by drumming. That's the opposite of most blues and funk where the drumming is WAY behind the beat and has less to do with keeping time and more emphasis on groove than drive. No doubt Zep had r&b and funk influences but what they did was without doubt rock music.

Zep has some funk elements, blues elements, folk elements etc. etc. But I also wouldn't define them as any one genre.

I think that there is a distinction to made here between FUNK & FUNKY: Zep were never FUNK by any stretch of the imagination, but my god they were FUNKY.

It's all about the timing - Page's idiocyncratic phrasing, Bonzo's placement of the beat (and of the SPACES between), all that kind of stuff.

They bounced where others plodded.

exactly. well put

It was there from the beginning, and, got somewhat lost near the end. All great bands have a certain amount of groove about them. When the groove goes south, so do they <_<

Archived