Christmas Songs You Hate

apantherfrommd

Sorry but I disagree. Even though I am agnostic, there are still some Christmas songs that I find have musical and/or emotional value. 

Do you really find nothing to like in any of Bach's Christmas music? Technically, Bach's music was composed in service to God/Jesus, so you might say all of Bach's music is Christmas music.

What about Vince Guaraldi's lovely jazz score for the "Charlie Brown Christmas Special"? Mel Tormé's "A Christmas Song"? (Take your pick of three exquisite renditions: Mel Tormé, Nat King Cole, or Ella Fitzgerald) Chuck Berry's (or Keith Richards) "Run Rudolph"? Pharoah Sanders "We Three Kings"?

I could go on and on...but my point is that there is more to Christmas music than the pablum that is played in retail stores and pop radio.

All right man. Fair enough. I agree with this. But.............

Come Christmas Eve, and especially on the big day when the CP's are busying around in the kitchen we do put on Classic FM on and enjoy it. Requests for all things festive do get you in the mood for preparing Mince pies and sausage rolls and popping a bottle or two.

It's the constant drivel that is played for the WHOLE MONTH that gets me. I can sympathise with Jules as she has to put up with it day in day out for weeks as she is in a store all day. For example: I was upstairs this morning and I left the radio on in the kitchen, all i could here was that Carey woman bealting "all I want for....", fair enough the woman is fairly full up top but do i want that for the next 3 weeks or so. No I don't. But then again if you are savy enough, think Slade and Wizard, then you are set up for life. But I am sure someone will answer this audible problem by stating the beedin' obvious - yes I can turn it off.

Next it will be the longing for Spring and Easter eggs appearing in the shops

OMG! Make it stop! The agony! :rolleyes:

Hey man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to annoy you. It was just my attempt at some lame humour! For what it's worth, the chipmunks get on my nerves too! I mean 'the music' (if you can call it that!) sounds worse than a cat, running its claws through a chalk board! :lol: 

I hear you, Disco! I am a retail worker going through the same thing!

:ahhh:

The sad thing is I used to like Merry Christmas, Darling; I would play that song on my cd player while wrapping Christmas presents or baking cookies to take to the holiday potluck at work.  

Hey man, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to annoy you. It was just my attempt at some lame humour! For what it's worth, the chipmunks get on my nerves too! I mean 'the music' (if you can call it that!) sounds worse than a cat, running its claws through a chalk board! :lol: 

No worries. You didn't annoy me. I said that as a joke. I knew you were messing around. LOL!

Oh yeah, that sucked big time. Can't wait until they drag out that over the hill tart Mariah Carey for New Years. Nothing like an alcoholic, middle aged, has been wearing lingerie and chasing around teen aged boys in Rockefeller Center. That nasty old tart makes the drunk, drugged up performances of Judy Garland look classy. 

:lol: Yes! That's another one I can't stand at work. I wish they'd just loop it in one sitting, instead of playing it every hour.

The sad thing is I used to like Merry Christmas, Darling; I would play that song on my cd player while wrapping Christmas presents or baking cookies to take to the holiday potluck at work.  

Shameful confession: My siblings and I had an Alvin and The Chipmunks album back during the 1960's.  It came with the record player our grandparents gave us for Christmas.  And yes, the album had the dreadful Chipmunk Christmas Song (I don't know the actual title)..

• 3 weeks later...

Aw, I do like the Nat King Cole "Christmas Song", and the Eagles' song.  I agree that they play them waaaaay too early. Stores here are now in full holiday mode by Halloween.

My kids have a CD of Christmas songs performed by a bunch of early 00's pop singers (Spice Girls, SheDaisy etc) and it's all pretty bad.

Archived