World Premiere of Human Rights Concerts incl. Page & Plant

Strider

Wasn't sure where to put this...but it's news, so figured it would fit here.

This Sunday at 3:00p.m., the American Cinematheque is having the world premiere of two new films about the Amnesty International Human Rights Concerts held from 1986-1998. The films will include footage of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland of The Police will be there in person. It is at the Cinematheque's Aero Theatre in Santa Monica (which is where I saw "Celebration Day"). Here are the details:

Mods & Rockers
¡RELEASED! The Human Rights Concerts

Mods & Rockers returns to the American Cinematheque with this special afternoon world premiere celebrating Amnesty International’s legendary Human Rights Concerts.

Join us for the World Premiere of ¡RELEASED! THE HUMAN RIGHTS CONCERTS, a new concert film of highlights distilled from the legendary Amnesty International concerts 1986-1998, including stirring performances and unique collaborations by Bruce Springsteen, U2, The Police, Radiohead, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, Lou Reed, Jackson Browne, Alanis Morissette, and many more.

Preceded by:
World Premiere! "Light a Candle! The Story Behind the Human Rights Concerts" (2013, 40 min. Dir. Peter Shelton) This new documentary traces the history of Amnesty’s human rights benefits from their roots in the "Secret Policeman’s Ball" shows of the 1970s & 1980s to Amnesty's concerts and tours of the 1980s & 1990s. Features brand-new interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Pete Townshend, Peter Gabriel, Bono and previously unseen historic footage. Program also includes the world premiere of a short Peter Gabriel home movie shot during Amnesty's 1986 tour, and a short animation anthology (curated by Aardman Animation) illustrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights - with a specially-created soundtrack by David Byrne, Laurie Anderson, Danny Elfman and Mark Mothersbaugh and voiced by Jeff Bridges and Debra Winger.

Background on the Human Rights Concerts: http://www.HumanRightsConcerts.com

Discussion follows with The Police band members Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland and ¡RELEASED! producer Martin Lewis (co-creator/producer of Amnesty's "Secret Policeman's Ball" series).

Wasn't sure where to put this...but it's news, so figured it would fit here.

This Sunday at 3:00p.m., the American Cinematheque is having the world premiere of two new films about the Amnesty International Human Rights Concerts held from 1986-1998. The films will include footage of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland of The Police will be there in person. It is at the Cinematheque's Aero Theatre in Santa Monica (which is where I saw "Celebration Day"). Here are the details:

Mods & Rockers
¡RELEASED! The Human Rights Concerts

Mods & Rockers returns to the American Cinematheque with this special afternoon world premiere celebrating Amnesty International’s legendary Human Rights Concerts.

Join us for the World Premiere of ¡RELEASED! THE HUMAN RIGHTS CONCERTS, a new concert film of highlights distilled from the legendary Amnesty International concerts 1986-1998, including stirring performances and unique collaborations by Bruce Springsteen, U2, The Police, Radiohead, Peter Gabriel, Sting, Jimmy Page & Robert Plant, Lou Reed, Jackson Browne, Alanis Morissette, and many more.

Preceded by:

World Premiere! "Light a Candle! The Story Behind the Human Rights Concerts" (2013, 40 min. Dir. Peter Shelton) This new documentary traces the history of Amnesty’s human rights benefits from their roots in the "Secret Policeman’s Ball" shows of the 1970s & 1980s to Amnesty's concerts and tours of the 1980s & 1990s. Features brand-new interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Sting, Pete Townshend, Peter Gabriel, Bono and previously unseen historic footage. Program also includes the world premiere of a short Peter Gabriel home movie shot during Amnesty's 1986 tour, and a short animation anthology (curated by Aardman Animation) illustrating the Universal Declaration of Human Rights - with a specially-created soundtrack by David Byrne, Laurie Anderson, Danny Elfman and Mark Mothersbaugh and voiced by Jeff Bridges and Debra Winger.

Background on the Human Rights Concerts: http://www.HumanRightsConcerts.com

Discussion follows with The Police band members Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland and ¡RELEASED! producer Martin Lewis (co-creator/producer of Amnesty's "Secret Policeman's Ball" series).

Are you going, Strider? If so, could you post what you see, or at least what you thought of it?

Wow,thank you so much Steve,you made my day! Why have I never seen this before,now are these two on the DVD that is or is coming up,I am a bit lost here if anyone has a link where I can order it

Wow,thank you so much Steve,you made my day! Why have I never seen this before,now are these two on the DVD that is or is coming up,I am a bit lost here if anyone has a link where I can order it

The DVD of the 1998 Paris Amnesty International concert has been available for at least a decade and I posted the amazon link months ago:

There is this from 1998: http://www.amazon.com/The-Paris-Concert-Amnesty-International/dp/B00004Y7HF

Also, wasn't the Shepherd's Bush Empire show from 1998 released on home video, or is that my imagination? I have a dvd of it somewhere.

The DVD of the 1998 Paris Amnesty International concert has been available for at least a decade and I posted the amazon link months ago:

I know that one has been out but isnt there a new one coming out Nov 5th remember I am a blond,I forget things so have mercy with me!!!

Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers at the premiere Sunday, along with Martin Lewis and a representative of Amnesty International.

post-1470-0-84924300-1383727910_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-17101200-1383727954_thumb.jp

http://www.humanrightsconcerts.com/

The Human Rights Concerts DVDs/CDs were released today in various configurations...the big one being the 6 DVD set totalling 12 hours of footage.

http://www.crybabycry.biz/humanrightsconcerts.html

The 4 songs included from the Page & Plant set at the 1998 Paris concert are "When the World Was Young", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Gallows Pole", and "Rock and Roll". Page even does his signature split-leg leap during "Rock and Roll".

post-1470-0-68052600-1383728552_thumb.pn

The 4 songs included from the Page & Plant set at the 1998 Paris concert are "When the World Was Young", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Gallows Pole", and "Rock and Roll". Page even does his signature split-leg leap during " Rock and Roll".

So the big news here is we're getting their complete four-song performance on this release. Sweet.

So the big news here is we're getting their complete four-song performance on this release. Sweet.

Yes, if I remember correctly, some of the 1998 Paris DVDs that were released back in 2000 only had two of the Page & Plant songs, even though all four were listed. Is that correct Steve?

Going back to the documentary they showed along with the 90-minutes of performance clips this past Sunday at the premiere, there was an amusing anecdote Bruce Springsteen told about that 1998 Paris event. It seems the organizers originally wanted Bruce to follow Page & Plant. Bruce said "You want me to follow Led Zeppelin? I'm just one man and a guitar...there's no way I can follow Led Zeppelin. I'll play before Led Zeppelin." :D

RELEASED: THE HUMAN RIGHTS CONCERTS 1986-1998 (2013, Shout Factory, unrated, $60) — Are you ready to rock? On this terrific six-disc set there's 120 songs performed by the likes of U2, Sting, Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed, Miles Davis, Radiohead and Jimmy Page & Robert Plant. There's plenty of highlights on the 12-hour set but no one outshines Bruce Springsteen, who appeared at both the 1988 and 1998 Amnesty International shows performing "Born in the USA.," "I'm on Fire," "The River" and "No Surrender." Extras: additional performances, home movies and new interviews including one with the Boss. - See more at:

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/movies/231104311_New_on_DVD_this_week__Nov__8.html#sthash.Ju61YbfB.dpuf

RELEASED: THE HUMAN RIGHTS CONCERTS 1986-1998 (2013, Shout Factory, unrated, $60) — Are you ready to rock? On this terrific six-disc set there's 120 songs performed by the likes of U2, Sting, Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed, Miles Davis, Radiohead and Jimmy Page & Robert Plant. There's plenty of highlights on the 12-hour set but no one outshines Bruce Springsteen, who appeared at both the 1988 and 1998 Amnesty International shows performing "Born in the USA.," "I'm on Fire," "The River" and "No Surrender." Extras: additional performances, home movies and new interviews including one with the Boss. - See more at:

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/movies/231104311_New_on_DVD_this_week__Nov__8.html#sthash.Ju61YbfB.dpuf

I'm from NJ and I'm a Springsteen fan but I would dispute the notion that "nobody outshines him" in these gigs. Man, critics just love that guy, he could take a dump and get five stars! (Rant over)

Yes, mstork - I know exactly what you mean. That is the case with a lot of performers - no matter what they do, people will say it's great just because it's them.

I'm from NJ and I'm a Springsteen fan but I would dispute the notion that "nobody outshines him" in these gigs. Man, critics just love that guy, he could take a dump and get five stars! (Rant over)

Going back to the documentary they showed along with the 90-minutes of performance clips this past Sunday at the premiere, there was an amusing anecdote Bruce Springsteen told about that 1998 Paris event. It seems the organizers originally wanted Bruce to follow Page & Plant. Bruce said "You want me to follow Led Zeppelin? I'm just one man and a guitar...there's no way I can follow Led Zeppelin. I'll play before Led Zeppelin." :D

Didn't he have some awful quote about Zeppelin back in '75? I remember reading that somewhere...... :Thinking:

I'm looking forward to this release. I remember The Police set back in '86 very well, used to have it on tape somewhere. U2 was great that day also.

Didn't he have some awful quote about Zeppelin back in '75? I remember reading that somewhere...... :Thinking:

I'm looking forward to this release. I remember The Police set back in '86 very well, used to have it on tape somewhere. U2 was great that day also.

Walter, that quote is in one of the recent Zep books, something to do with them not even playing their own stuff very well any more. I'll see if I can find it.

iI saw the older one on Amazon,lists 4 songs but if you look at the reviews people say there were not 4 on there

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How interesting. I've never seen that video before. I thought the Babe I'm Gonna Leave You performance was great! and also helpful to me as I've been trying to play it on electric guitar. Also didn't know there was a screening here in NYC...this is why I still come by this board sometimes...

Archived