Unsung heroes of Rock and Roll

JethroTull

OK - is it just me or was the thread starter talking about the kind of people who appear onstage with all sorts of bands and never really get the credit - like the backing singers or percussionists?

I think I must be the one who read it wrong.

OK - is it just me or was the thread starter talking about the kind of people who appear onstage with all sorts of bands and never really get the credit - like the backing singers or percussionists?

No your right again Knebby, who do these people think they are, keep going off topic?

For me, Jerry McAvoy and Ted McKenna, any one remember them?

Regards, Danny

That was my interpretation but I seem to be confused lately so I'm not sure :lol::unsure:

Ok I got one. That guy on stage towards the left playing the cowbell with that famous band that gets all the credit while he languishes in obscurity. Pity I can't remember his name.

That approach will keep this thread exciting.

Ok I got one. That guy on stage towards the left playing the cowbell with that famous band that gets all the credit while he languishes in obscurity. Pity I can't remember his name.

Hi KAK

Do you remember the bands name, or even the place or date where the gig took place, that would help alot, SAJ would probably know this one off the top of his head, any more help would be appreciated by all.

Regards, Danny

I believed (and am happy to be corrected) that that was the intention of the thread. If you don't find it exciting, there are many other threads to grace with your pearls of wisdom. B)

I'll throw some relatively unsung heroes of mine out there, sidemen and otherwise:

David Lindley he's played on tons of records but is probably best known for his work with Jackson Browne over the years.

Goose Creek Symphony mix bluegrass, gospel and psychedelic rock in ways you could never imagine. They're still at it even after all of these years.

Whiskeytown one of my favorite "alt.country" groups. They only released three records (and one EP) but all of them are amazing.

The Replacements get plenty of mention in alternative circles but they're rarely mentioned in these parts.

Old and In the Way all star bluegrass supergroup that included Jerry Garcia, pretty much invented what came to be known as "newgrass".

Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen probably best known for their cover of Hot Rod Lincoln but were fine purveyors of boogie woogie rock n' roll mixed in with Western Swing.

John Prine one of my favorite songwriters ever and that even included Bob Dylan and Townes Van Zandt. His voice may be an acquired taste for some but if you're able to get past that you're in for some damn fine tunes.

Guy Clark another of my favorite songwriters. He's had his songs recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash and many others but no one spins 'em quite like Guy himself.

The Yayhoos bar band supergroup fronted by Dan Baird of the Georgia Satellites. Imagine a concoction of the Faces, the Stones and the Replacements all rolled into one. When it comes to raucous, no holds barred rock n' roll it don't get much finer.

Guadalcanal Diary short llived band that unfairly got lumped in with the Athens, GA alternative movement of the 80s. Yes, they were alternative (back when that term actually meant something) and yes, they hailed from Georgia (Marietta) but they were no jingle jangle R.E.M. soundalike. The tortured hymns of frontman Murray Attaway and the jungle drums of John Poe brought something entirely different to the table. An urgent sounding form of rock n' roll that had more in common with the early sounds of rock n' roll than it did with their Athens brethren.

That's an even ten but I could very easily name very many, many more such as the Connells, Flat Duo Jets (there would be no White Stripes without them), Steve Goodman, Jerry Jeff Walker, the New Riders of the Purple Sage, the Old 97s, the Jayhawks, the Gourds, Asleep at the Wheel, Leon Russell, the list is nearly endless.

I believed (and am happy to be corrected) that that was the intention of the thread. If you don't find it exciting, there are many other threads to grace with your pearls of wisdom. B)

Oh, but it is exciting. Don't mistake my earlier comments for sarcasm. Somebody has to acknowledge the underappreciated talents of a forgotten triangle player & if enlightened further, as I feel this thread will do, I just may want to join a forgotten triangle players fan club.

My choice: Gene Frenkel. He played a mean cowbell. Producer Bruce Dickinson said Bruces' cowbell playing was the only prescription for his musical fever.

Agreed. Same with Timothy B. Schmit and Boyd Tinsley. While they might not be household names it's not like they're in bands that aren't. I think Rory might be borderline as he's never really seemed to get his due. Thankfully Deep Tracks on XM/Sirius makes up for that as he gets lots of airplay there. Can't say I ever heard him on mainstream rock radio over the years but I've certainly read lots about him.

I've always enjoyed the folks playing in the background, off to the side doing their thing, etc, etc.

Sorry, I thought they fit the bill :unsure:

Oh, but it is exciting. Don't mistake my earlier comments for sarcasm. Somebody has to acknowledge the underappreciated talents of a forgotten triangle player & if enlightened further, as I feel this thread will do, I just may want to join a forgotten triangle players fan club.

My choice: Gene Frenkel. He played a mean cowbell. Producer Bruce Dickinson said Bruces' cowbell playing was the only prescription for his musical fever.

Then let me direct you to my choice, Ray Cooper. The perfect example of so-much-more-than-a-forgotten-triangle-player. Most would kill for his CV.

Then let me direct you to my choice, Ray Cooper. The perfect example of so-much-more-than-a-forgotten-triangle-player. Most would kill for his CV.

I'm aware of Ray Cooper. He was the guy waving his arms & making all that racket at the ARMS shows & later with Clapton, Townshend, & Elton John. Gene Frenkel he is not.

Nah. Much better.

What about Suzanne Crough from the Partdrige Family. Could Ray Cooper keep up with her tambourine abilities? His percussive accompiament at the ARMS shows was as essential as her playing on "I Think I Love You" in my opinion. Maybe it's just a debate for the ages to decide.

Hi KAK

Do you remember the bands name, or even the place or date where the gig took place, that would help alot, SAJ would probably know this one off the top of his head, any more help would be appreciated by all.

Regards, Danny

Hi BIGDAN,

You know, I was there with you at such & such, during that time when it was dark out, & all we could hear was cowbell in the back rows at such & such. I can't believe you don't remember. Well you did have a few of those beverages. Well anyway, hope that clears things up.

Regards, KAK

Hi BIGDAN,

You know, I was there with you at such & such, during that time when it was dark out, & all we could hear was cowbell in the back rows at such & such. I can't believe you don't remember. Well you did have a few of those beverages. Well anyway, hope that clears things up.

Regards, KAK

Hi KAK

I think i do remember, but no way was me and you in the back row, and we were not up too "such and such" (i thought that burning sensation the next day was the vindaloo) and i thought we had a sheep not a cow and if the bell was ringing it was you not me, right.

Apart from that everything is crystal, OK. And everything has cleared up, how bout you mate?

Rear-Guards, Danny

PS. Who's the Daddy?

Hi KAK

I think i do remember, but no way was me and you in the back row, and we were not up too "such and such" (i thought that burning sensation the next day was the vindaloo) and i thought we had a sheep not a cow and if the bell was ringing it was you not me, right.

Apart from that everything is crystal, OK. And everything has cleared up, how bout you mate?

Rear-Guards, Danny

PS. Who's the Daddy?

Hi BIGDAN,

It seems to be clear, the penicillen made sure of that. As far as who's my daddy, hey others here may call you BIGDAN, but you know you like it when I call you BIGPOPPA.

Exiting through the rear,

Kak

Archived