Paul Gilbert & JPJ

Reggie29

I posted this in another thread and a friend suggested it should have one of its own.

Like I asked before, is this guy a genius or what?

Paul Gilbert is one of the best guitar players in the world. I met him at a VIP Workshop. He's such a great guy and so friendly! Listen to Hammer of the Gods, there he plays more Zep tunes.

Jones is also great. One of the best musicans around!

Beautiful instrumental version of the song. Great to see JPJ showcasing his mandolin skills :D Forgive my ignorance but I don't know who Paul Gilbert is :slapface:

He is the guitar player from Mr. Big and Racer X. And he is a well known as one of the greatest guitarists today.

I posted this in another thread and a friend suggested it should have one of its own.

Like I asked before, is this guy a genius or what?

I hadn't heard of him either. To be honest, this clip doesn't really showcase the genius you speak of (unless you meant Jonesy ;) ). It's quite simple and supportive, really, but not jaw-dropping. Is there a song or album you'd recommend that shows what you mean? I'm curious to check it out, thanks.

Beautiful instrumental version of the song. Great to see JPJ showcasing his mandolin skills :D Forgive my ignorance but I don't know who Paul Gilbert is :slapface:

Haha, you should watch how Paul could play his guitar with an electric drill.

Check out this to see how great Paul Gilbert is:

Wow, this reminds me of how much I use to hate this style of guitar playing, and still do.

All speed and precision, but not an ounce of soul. Yuck!!!

P.S. loved the pants, though.

He is the guitar player from Mr. Big and Racer X. And he is a well known as one of the greatest guitarists today.

Hes a good guitar player for a shredder but Im not sure I would rate him as one of the best guitarists today.

Wow, this reminds me of how much I use to hate this style of guitar playing, and still do.

All speed and precision, but not an ounce of soul. Yuck!!!

P.S. loved the pants, though.

My favorite "new" guitarist is Derek Trucks. Talk about soul! No flash just damn good playing!

I remember seeing the Paul Gilbert "Hot Lick's" video back in the late 1980's when I was working at a tape duplicating plant. He's quite good! It was one of a whole series of guitarists of that time frame that where doing instructional video's (VHS of coarse).

Bonzolikedrumer

Check out this to see how great Paul Gilbert is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11KaKhGAa3Iwww.vortex-club.de

Technically he's great, but not very musical, imho. Maybe it's just the context of the solo, but it feels like you're watching someone practicing -- in a stadium full of people. Well they're there so people find it appealing, but there's a lot more to playing than precision. Page was so damn sloppy at times, yet few if any can touch his ingenuity, power, spacing (when not to play, and then coming back in just at the right time...leaving you begging for more B) ) that lead to the overall great construction of songs that tell a story. Not saying there isn't more to Paul Gilbert than shredding, it's just you don't see it from this sample. I am curious to check out more though...

Technically he's great, but not very musical, imho. Maybe it's just the context of the solo, but it feels like you're watching someone practicing -- in a stadium full of people. Well they're there so people find it appealing, but there's a lot more to playing than precision. Page was so damn sloppy at times, yet few if any can touch his ingenuity, power, spacing (when not to play, and then coming back in just at the right time...leaving you begging for more B) ) that lead to the overall great construction of songs that tell a story. Not saying there isn't more to Paul Gilbert than shredding, it's just you don't see it from this sample. I am curious to check out more though...

I agree, being technical is not musical. Gilbert has nothing interesting to say musically.

There's alot of people out there with amazing technique, for example:

:o Thanks for the link. He looks so comfortable with all of it, too...hate it when they make it look so easy lol

well, one good link deserves another. Here's a little sample of the great

different style, but still...all that and on an acoustic, too WOW :notworthy:

:o Thanks for the link. He looks so comfortable with all of it, too...hate it when they make it look so easy lol

well, one good link deserves another. Here's a little sample of the great

different style, but still...all that and on an acoustic, too WOW :notworthy:

That was badass! Thanks for the link. I'm gonna' watch that again right now.

Archived