Favourite Miles Davis record?

What is everyone's?

Currently I'm listening to Nefertiti, Tony Williams is ripping it up on the drum kit on this one, so it's either this or Bitches Brew likely.

Yours?

"Siesta" is very beautiful

A couple underrated ones would have to be Sketches of Spain and Dark Magus, the latter being impossible to find physically, unfortunately for me.

Sketches of Spain has Miles' version of Joaquin Rodrigo's classic "Concierto De Aranjuez", only one of the slow movements I believe though, and then another reworked composition with which I'm not really familiar (El amor brujo by Manuel de Falla according to wikipedia)

Dark Magus is some psychedelic electric jazz, recorded at Carnegie Hall in 1974. It's pretty mindblowing stuff, puts Pink Floyd's experimental stuff to shame.

A couple underrated ones would have to be Sketches of Spain and Dark Magus, the latter being impossible to find physically, unfortunately for me.

Sketches of Spain has Miles' version of Joaquin Rodrigo's classic "Concierto De Aranjuez", only one of the slow movements I believe though, and then another reworked composition with which I'm not really familiar (El amor brujo by Manuel de Falla according to wikipedia)

Dark Magus is some psychedelic electric jazz, recorded at Carnegie Hall in 1974. It's pretty mindblowing stuff, puts Pink Floyd's experimental stuff to shame.

I don't have either of them but Pangaea is an interesting record as well.

FWIW, the brother's that introduced me to Led Zeppelin were the same brother's that introduced me to Miles Davis and Hendrix. To quote an old phrase...."Far Out Man" ;)

FWIW, the brother's that introduced me to Led Zeppelin were the same brother's that introduced me to Miles Davis and Hendrix. To quote an old phrase...."Far Out Man" ;)

I owe my big brother and sister a tremendous amount of gratitude for introducing me to a lot of what I listen to as well :D

Nice to see Dark Magus mentioned, thats probabley my fav of the 1001 fusion era live albums. I actually preffer In A Silent Way and A Tribute to Jack Johnson to Bitches Brew for studio fusion albums, Get Up With It is also very underated. Very middle class whiteboy but I always remember listening to "he loved him madly" while standing round a campfire in the himalayas as the sunset....

indiaedit3pp5.jpg

Kind of Blue just hair above Bitches Brew

When I got Kind of Blue that album took me into a new musical direction. As time went on I bought more albums by Miles plus some box sets. Miles Davis are expensive but they are worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

Archived