what song is this from

ootpik

I am pretty sure Plant sings "oh drogheda, oh drogheda" but I just can't figure out which song it is from. Can anyone help me out so I can track down the rest of the lyrics?? Many thanks.

In my time of dying,

it's actually "oh my Jesus", not Oh Drogheda...

Here's the complete lyrics:

In my time of dying, want nobody to mourn

All I want for you to do is take my body home

Well, well, well, so I can die easy (X2)

Jesus, gonna make up my dyin' bed.

Meet me, Jesus, meet me. Meet me in the middle of the air

If my wings should fail me, Lord. Please meet me with another pair

Well, well, well, so I can die easy (X2)

Jesus, gonna make up.. somebody, somebody...

Jesus gonna make up... Jesus gonna make you my dyin' bed

Oh, Saint Peter, at the gates of heaven... Won't you let me in

I never did no harm. I never did no wrong

Oh, Gabriel, let me blow your horn. Let me blow your horn

Oh, I never did, did no harm.

I've only been this young once. I never thought I'd do anybody no wrong

No, not once.

Oh, I did somebody some good. Somebody some good...

Oh, did somebody some good. I must have did somebody some good...

And I see them in the streets

And I see them in the field

And I hear them shouting under my feet

And I know it's got to be real

Oh, Lord, deliver me

All the wrong I've done

You can deliver me, Lord

I only wanted to have some fun.

Hear the angels marchin', hear the' marchin', hear them marchin',

Hear them marchin', the' marchin'

Oh my Jesus... (repeat)

Oh, don't you make it my dyin', dyin', dyin'...

(Studio Chatter: "That's gonna be the one, isn't it? "

"Come have a listen, then. "

Oh yes, thank you.")

i think ootpik was thinking about the part after he says "Oh my Jesus", when he starts singing "Oh Something", in which what he actually says is debated. I think he sings "Oh Georgina". It is definitely not Jesus, though.

I think it is--he often leaves off the end of words, and that's what I think he's doing there. I've seen the "Georgina" hypothesis, and to be honest, in addition to the fact that it doesn't sound like that to me, I don't see why he would suddenly drop that name into a song where it doesn't belong, if you see what I mean.

But who knows. :D

I think it is--he often leaves off the end of words, and that's what I think he's doing there. I've seen the "Georgina" hypothesis, and to be honest, in addition to the fact that it doesn't sound like that to me, I don't see why he would suddenly drop that name into a song where it doesn't belong, if you see what I mean.

But who knows. :D

In one of the Earl's Court performances of In My Time of Dying, Plant definitely repeats "Caroline" at that point of the song, thus providing more evidence that he could be saying a woman's name that is similar to a U.S. state, not Jesus in the album version. Since the song has Southern roots, the use of Georgina is actually very clever, so I choose to believe it.

Here's the link: IMTOD (Earls Court)

In one of the Earl's Court performances of In My Time of Dying, Plant definitely repeats "Caroline" at that point of the song, thus providing more evidence that he could be saying a woman's name that is similar to a U.S. state, not Jesus. Since the song has Southern roots, the use of Georgina is actually very clever, so I choose to believe it.

Here's the link: IMTOD (Earls Court)

Yeah, I've heard that, but I thought you/we were talking about the album version? (I must say I think the idea that he's using a woman's name that is similar to a Southern state because the song has Southern roots is--well, ingenious, but a bit far-fetched. Make that a lot far-fetched. :D But again, who knows?)

Thanks for the help ppl; you are brilliant indeed. I am not quite the fan as my bf; but he is out of town for work so I can't ask him atm!! Now I just have to dig thru his collection to find that song. It sounded like "drogheda" to me ages ago when I first heard the song; but the reason I ask now is because I am reading a book on the Irish Rebellion and ppl were 'massacred' in a church in Drogheda. So; in effect it sort of still makes sense to add it to the song. But as I said; I am not the efficianado when it comes to led zep. But I really do appreciate your help and 3 cents worth on top of it all!!!

Cheerrs!!

I used to think it was 'on my tv' sang like on-mah-tee-veh. I always thought it was a strange thing to say until it gradually dawned on me that it was actually 'oh my Jesus'. It does actually sound like 'on my tv' though.

• 3 weeks later...
I used to think it was 'on my tv' sang like on-mah-tee-veh. I always thought it was a strange thing to say until it gradually dawned on me that it was actually 'oh my Jesus'. It does actually sound like 'on my tv' though.

yeah it does kind of sound like oh my tv. lol.but yes it is oh my Jesus.In My Time of Dying is on the Physical Graffiti album.Physical Graffiti is the sixth album by Zep.The recording sessions for Physical Graffiti initially took place in November 1973 at Headley Grange in East Hampshire, England. However, these sessions came to a halt quickly and the studio time was turned over to the band Bad Company, who used it to record songs for their forthcoming album, Straight Shooter. In an interview he gave in 1975, guitarist and album producer Jimmy Page explained the reason for this abrupt cessation of recording:

It took a long time for this album mainly because when we originally went in to record it, John Paul Jones wasn't well and we had to cancel the time . . . everything got messed up. It took three months to sort the situation out.

However, it later emerged that Jones had wanted to quit the band and take up a position as choirmaster at Winchester Cathedral. Peter Grant urged caution, suggesting that Jones was overwrought from the incessant touring and should take a rest from Zeppelin for a few weeks. Jones changed his mind and sessions resumed at Headley Grange after the Christmas holidays.

"In My Time of Dying" clocks in at 11 minutes 5 seconds .Physical Graffiti is also the only Led Zeppelin album to feature bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones playing additional guitar on some tracks.

This just makes me think of the hilarious article in the current issue of Tight But Loose where someone with way too much time on their hands attributes all kinds of goofy subliminal messages to the band's recordings - it is so ridiculous that I could actually believe it was a spoof. Anyhow, he reckons that "Alice" is mentioned a lot, and is now convinced that the start of "Heartbreaker" is not "You know that Annie's back in town" but "We now have Alice back in town". WTF? :blink::lol:

Archived