What type of vibe/scene/aura do you get from each album?

All albums radiate a particular picture or vibe when played, especially Led Zeppelin.

Here's what I see in my mind's eye when I drop the needle on these masterpieces: :D

*Led Zeppelin: A band on the prowl, a black & white color overall.

*Led Zeppelin II: A warm golden red atmosphere breaking through a clever mist.

*Led Zeppelin III: A snowy trek that ends up in a pungent green forest.

*--IV--: A purple veil enveloping instruments at their prime tones.

*Houses of the Holy: A golden epic interlaced with cozy bursts of orange.

*Physical Graffiti: A unit of 4, wise to the street sleaze of cities such as New York, & some sort of industrial feel. (Zep's album covers affect my view of the albums' sounds).

Evolving ever further yet pounding out young folk medleys one last time...

*Presence: A pain-killer haze of perfection! Very American feeling...stumbling out onto the streets from a smoky bar.

*In Through the Out Door: A breathtaking glance into where the sound would've gone in the next decade to come. ~A fully oiled production in a brown paper bag~

*Coda: A barn full of mixed paintings. A good bye & hello to the cuts that didn't make it & a drop of the jaw to the band who added even more to their repertoire with grungy punk takes that some didn't know existed!

While not so florid in speak as you my friend, the first album always felt like a grey day. Not in a negative way. I just get the atmosphere of London in autumn. It seems to translate for me with that mood. Like Londoners, determined to soldier on with a brully.

The second album doesn't (for me) have a cohesive "scene". It's a collection of works assembled on tour. While all the songs rock, they don't dovetail like a singular statement.

III. There's a quality to the sound that puts me in a place. It's impossible to quantify. You're just THERE.

I'll add on in a bit. Time to go out for a smoke. Maybe I'll come back with something more meaningful, lol!

Ya, I like your description of their 1st, perhaps that's what I meant by "black & white"!

III may be my favorite recording's of Bonzo's drums. They seem to be very well miked up close rather than a dominance of room miking, putting all the detail in the forefront...fucking awesome.

What've you got for the rest of the albums?

While not so florid in speak as you my friend, the first album always felt like a grey day. Not in a negative way. I just get the atmosphere of London in autumn. It seems to translate for me with that mood. Like Londoners, determined to soldier on with a brully.

The second album doesn't (for me) have a cohesive "scene". It's a collection of works assembled on tour. While all the songs rock, they don't dovetail like a singular statement.

III. There's a quality to the sound that puts me in a place. It's impossible to quantify. You're just THERE.

I'll add on in a bit. Time to go out for a smoke. Maybe I'll come back with something more meaningful, lol!

Zeppelin 3 is my current bible. Me and my 1 year old sister rock out to it...She loves celebration day(Well there was a non stop smile happening throughout the song).

The magical vibe i get off that album is just incredible. I would use one of those sophisticated english words to describe what i feel but i don't know many. But i have good news...I sleep beside a bible and a thesaurus.

Man...what i get off of the guitar vibe off of "Friends". You can tell its a spell in the making.

Roberts tremolo voice takes quite the "high" to achieve...no drugs only brain high.

zeppelin 1 and 2 gets me loved stoned and three seals the deal. The rest is food for the Gods.

lol names like physical graffiti and houses of the holy...and Presence(Achilles last stand is just...). In through the out door. You just don't see that anymore...the common sense

All i see now is a band by the name Billy talent...using the good o'l. 1 2 3 album name routine. there new tune is alright.

Anyways...Forever be Led Zeppelin and there "band on the run"

Great question!! These are not necessarily true, just the initial vibes I got from them ...

LZ I - As mentioned before, reminds me of the dreary days of autumn; cold 'n' wet.

LZ II - "The Brown Bomber," seeing an 8-track tape of II in a muscle car sitting next to a hash pipe. Once again, fall time of the year.

LZ III - Spring-like. Farmer's wheel on cover. Recording sounds a trifle muddy, different, not as clear and bright as previous albums. Takes maybe the longest to see the beauty and genius of the album.

Fourth Album - In the middle of a misty forest, very Celtic, waiting for the Druid Dudes? (ha ha).

Houses of the Holy - Summer time. Trying to be "Pop Stars," trying to reel in the young girls instead of emphasis on macho hard rock; Oh oh-oh-oh oh oh ...

Physical Graffiti - Winter. Cocaine in Plant's nose/throat and maybe even a little heroin in Jimmy's fingers. Rock Superstars. So successful now that they could fart into a microphone and it would sell a zillion copies. Maybe getting a little too jaded and tired of each other, but still delivering the goods.

Presence - Spring time, school's about to end for the year. Folks either loved it or hated it, and both went to extremes. The first Led Zeppelin album that went into the bargain bin. Kind of cold album cover. At first, seems like an album created just to fill out the album length to sell Achilles Last Stand. Showing some cracks in the armour, becoming less God-like, but don't tell the band that or else they will fire you!!

TSRTS Soundtrack - For all those in Bend Over, Arkansas, and other isolated, out of the way parts of the world who would never get a chance to see Led Zeppelin live. Where's Misty Mountain Hop? The Ocean?

In Through the Out Door - Late August. Hearing it played in its entirety almost 24 hours straight on a rock station when it was first released to radio on a late Sunday(?) night. Trying to salvage their career. Jimmy's lacks "presence" (sorry for the pun). Southbound, Fool, Hot Dog sound somewhat gimmicky. Where's the rock? Started off so good ... Carouselambra mistaken for disco by some uninformed ears. Sounds like a transition album, much like "Houses of the Holy." People who always hated Zep in the past love this album, making it suspect?

The Next Album They Did Not Get to Do (and I ain't talkin' 'bout "Coda"!!) - Could have brought the band back to Rock God Status; imagine a combination of "Pictures at Eleven," "Death Wish II Soundtrack," "Scream for Help Soundtrack," and "The Firm" albums. Killer stuff!!

Great question!! These are not necessarily true, just the initial vibes I got from them ...

LZ I - As mentioned before, reminds me of the dreary days of autumn; cold 'n' wet.

LZ II - "The Brown Bomber," seeing an 8-track tape of II in a muscle car sitting next to a hash pipe. Once again, fall time of the year.

LZ III - Spring-like. Farmer's wheel on cover. Recording sounds a trifle muddy, different, not as clear and bright as previous albums. Takes maybe the longest to see the beauty and genius of the album.

Fourth Album - In the middle of a misty forest, very Celtic, waiting for the Druid Dudes? (ha ha).

Houses of the Holy - Summer time. Trying to be "Pop Stars," trying to reel in the young girls instead of emphasis on macho hard rock; Oh oh-oh-oh oh oh ...

Physical Graffiti - Winter. Cocaine in Plant's nose/throat and maybe even a little heroin in Jimmy's fingers. Rock Superstars. So successful now that they could fart into a microphone and it would sell a zillion copies. Maybe getting a little too jaded and tired of each other, but still delivering the goods.

Presence - Spring time, school's about to end for the year. Folks either loved it or hated it, and both went to extremes. The first Led Zeppelin album that went into the bargain bin. Kind of cold album cover. At first, seems like an album created just to fill out the album length to sell Achilles Last Stand. Showing some cracks in the armour, becoming less God-like, but don't tell the band that or else they will fire you!!

TSRTS Soundtrack - For all those in Bend Over, Arkansas, and other isolated, out of the way parts of the world who would never get a chance to see Led Zeppelin live. Where's Misty Mountain Hop? The Ocean?

In Through the Out Door - Late August. Hearing it played in its entirety almost 24 hours straight on a rock station when it was first released to radio on a late Sunday(?) night. Trying to salvage their career. Jimmy's lacks "presence" (sorry for the pun). Southbound, Fool, Hot Dog sound somewhat gimmicky. Where's the rock? Started off so good ... Carouselambra mistaken for disco by some uninformed ears. Sounds like a transition album, much like "Houses of the Holy." People who always hated Zep in the past love this album, making it suspect?

The Next Album They Did Not Get to Do (and I ain't talkin' 'bout "Coda"!!) - Could have brought the band back to Rock God Status; imagine a combination of "Pictures at Eleven," "Death Wish II Soundtrack," "Scream for Help Soundtrack," and "The Firm" albums. Killer stuff!!

Yes, these vibes work really well for the band. And it's kind of uncanny how they can also apply to my life and how I "progressed" (aged) along with them:

LZ I -- the early days of autumn, starting high school, it's gonna be cold 'n wet. How to get the upperclassmen to notice me and how will they accept me? Do I go "over the top" in dress and manner or should I play it more subtle, go for the understatement? Ah, a combination works well.

LZ II -- by junior year, we've all got that muscle car and tape deck, some have the hash pipe too, or soon will. In the fall of the year......practicing in the Marching Band, playing "25 or 6 to 4" in the early, dewy morning hours....by the end of the day the temps have risen and we are peeling out of the parking lot, blasting "Whole Lotta Love" at top decibels

LZ III and Fourth -- Senior year, hey I need to calm down, plan my future. Things starting to look a little muddy, not quite as clear as before. I want to move on and yet I don't want to leave any good friends or good times behind. Where are those "Druid Dudes" (LOL, thanks dpat) who will help show me what my stairway to heaven/path in life will be?

Houses of the Holy -- Still have the summer before leaving for college. Still time to be the biggest Pop Star this small, hick town has even seen. Still time to try to get reeled in by whichever guy has the best "bait". oh-oh-oh-oh

Physical Graffiti and Presence -- College days.....man, I've been partying WAY too much, it's hard on the body & can make you age fast. Getting tired of school, getting burned out on studying, but can still deliver the good grades. Time for a change, to travel somewhere exotic like Kashmir, or for an epic odyssey like Achilles.

TSRTS -- YIPPEEEEE, this was my only opportunity to see the mighty Led Zeppelin "live", I savored every minute of the film. I understood Zep and they understood me, all was right with the world.

In Through the Out Door -- Finished school, time to start a career. And an "adult" life. Where is the rock of my youth? Why do I feel this is just a gimmick that no grownups had warned me about, a phase of life that I'm too uninformed on? Is this the way it's gonna be.....or is it a transition?

The 02 Concert That I Did Not Get To Go To -- It would have brought my life full circle, made my life complete had I gotten to see Led Zeppelin in concert just ONCE in this lifetime. But then I think about it a little deeper and I realize that the DVD they released in 2003 is BETTER than a concert, it's like being right up on stage with them. And their having an official website/forum has brought me in contact with lots of like-minded fans, now my friends. So the 02 concert was not a one-off event, it's a state of mind that will get me through the remainder of my days, however long that may be.

CODA -- Led Zeppelin has been The Constant of my life.

Led Zeppelin- Who the fuck are theses guys? they are amazing! Mostly black and white shades.

Led Zeppelin II- Driving and El Camino or Trans Am blasting it.

Led Zeppelin III - Spring is around the corner

Led Zeppelin IV, ZoSo - my favorite album by far. Summer time album; this reminds me of my senior year of high school now and I graduate on June 5th. It reminds me of all the times I have rock and rolled (Rock and Roll), the girls (Black Dog), wanting to get away for college (Misty Mountain Hop, Going to California), not being able to always get what i want but in the end, finding it (Stairway to Heaven). I play this album all the time and will definitely be played as I speed out of the parking lot on June 4th.

Houses of the Holy - This is another summer time album where swimming and hangin' out with friends mixes with life it self and that somethings never change; chasing after the one girl that you want and playing golf and other summer times sports.

Physical Graffiti - A party album. Kashmir being the ultimate Armageddon song but there are others. Heavy songs to rock out too and other songs to sit and chill too.

Presence - Reminds me of another senior year album. This fits in with ZoSo and how the year is winding down and you will miss friends and what you have done while in high school.

TSRTS - gives the youngin's who haven't seen or heard Zeppelin live to listen and watch them. A chance to hear the world's great achievement and world's greatest band

play.

In Through The Out Door - Not my favorite album by any means but it would seem to be like rock and roll time is over and the world is looking at you with spread arms and greeting you too your adult life.

Coda - Anything and everything that hasn't been mentioned.

• 2 years later...

LED ZEPPELIN

Airships. History. Youthfulness

LED ZEPPELIN II

The cover, class and power, warm amps, riffs, autumn, the mid-section of "Whole Lotta Love"

LED ZEPPELIN III

The cover, summer, sunlight

LED ZEPPELIN IV

Rustic, classic rock, nature

HOUSES OF THE HOLY

In full flight, orange, the song remains the same and the rain song, production, imagination.

PHYSICAL GRAFFITI

The cut-out cover, summer, travel, exoticness, Kashmir, The Rover, Ten Years Gone, Custard Pie, two albums.

PRESENCE

Achilles Last Stand, morocco, electric guitars, a different flavor

IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR

Elegance, Romanticism, Robert's finest lyrical moments, the cover variations, Fool In The Rain and I'm Gonna Crawl.

While all the albums invoke memorable and positive vibes for me, you can likely tell which 3-4 albums are my favorites from the above...:)

Archived