Jimmy Page les paul color

taker328

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly issue, but I'm really having a hard time with this. I am trying to get an Epiphone that is the exact same color as Jimmy Page, but from different photos and different videos, I can't grasp whether it is a cherry sunburst or a honeyburst, or a mix between the two.

If you watch TSRTS (esp. SIBLY), I kind of get a sense that it is probably a cherry sunburst,, but in the video of Jimmy talking about his les paul (

), it looks so much darker and almost has a honeyburst.

Out of the two Epiphones that I am considering, which color do you think is closest to jimmy pages' les paul?

This one

http://es.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/ENSPHSCH1.JPG

or this one

http://media.photobucket.com/image/epiphon...93boWSeJ_fs.jpg

First off, a 1959 Les Paul used a nitrocellulose finish. These were very prone to fading, and they changed the finish in 1960 to be more resistant to light. Unless you pony up for a Custom Historic, you won't get that kind of finish. Then there's the aging. Even by 1969 when Jimmy got the guitar it was already 10 years old. So anyway, if you're looking for a modern production Les Paul, all I can say is trust your eyes. Personally I don't think the Heritage, Vintage, Honey or Light Burst match the original. They're all too brightly colored. I suppose you could try a tanning booth! :lol:

First off, a 1959 Les Paul used a nitrocellulose finish. These were very prone to fading, and they changed the finish in 1960 to be more resistant to light. Unless you pony up for a Custom Historic, you won't get that kind of finish. Then there's the aging. Even by 1969 when Jimmy got the guitar it was already 10 years old. So anyway, if you're looking for a modern production Les Paul, all I can say is trust your eyes. Personally I don't think the Heritage, Vintage, Honey or Light Burst match the original. They're all too brightly colored. I suppose you could try a tanning booth! :lol:

Hey I got it!!! We'll open our own little, "Make your new Les Paul look like Jimmy's!" Tanning booth :suntan: ! How much should we charge?

Hey I got it!!! We'll open our own little, "Make your new Les Paul look like Jimmy's!" Tanning booth :suntan: ! How much should we charge?

Tom Murphy aged Jimmy Page Les Pauls cost about $20k more than non-Murphy aged ones. Could be a profitable endeavor! :lol:

look at the professional o2 video of black dog, and tell me that les Paul is not a honeyburst. I really believe it is and all this time I thought it was a cherry sunburst.

It's both. There was originally only one color, but Gibson designed alot of the other burst finishes to mimic the different shades of faded LP's.

I'm sorry if this seems like a silly issue, but I'm really having a hard time with this. I am trying to get an Epiphone that is the exact same color as Jimmy Page, but from different photos and different videos, I can't grasp whether it is a cherry sunburst or a honeyburst, or a mix between the two.

If you watch TSRTS (esp. SIBLY), I kind of get a sense that it is probably a cherry sunburst,, but in the video of Jimmy talking about his les paul (

), it looks so much darker and almost has a honeyburst.

Out of the two Epiphones that I am considering, which color do you think is closest to jimmy pages' les paul?

This one

http://es.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/ENSPHSCH1.JPG

or this one

http://media.photobucket.com/image/epiphon...93boWSeJ_fs.jpg

I had the same dilemma and decided that the honeyburst was more accurate.

One thing I didn't know, and neither did the guy at the store, was that Epiphone has two different plus-top honeyburst versions, I don't know if it has always been like that or if it's recent.

When I went to the store, two months ago, I was going to buy the one that was on display but was already sold to somebody else, I talked to one of the guys at the store and he said they had more in storage so he brought another guitar that was packaged and when he opened it we noticed that it was somewhat different (I bought that one btw) from the one on display but it was indeed an epiphone lp standard plus-top honeyburst because the guy went to the storage and brought other honeybursts and they were all one of the two versions, anyway this is my guitar:

Outside1

Outside2

Inside

This one is like mine.

It's different from the usual ones you see on the internet like these:

These are more orange and the back is brown.

Mine is more like brown, the flames are smoother and the back is red or dark red.

Archived