Jimmy and Jimi

???

......"He was glad he had gotten a chance to hang out with Rocki and other African musicians on the London scene. They had gone to a studio before the Albert Hall concert and recorded some tunes with Jimmy Page. Denny Laine, and a lot of African percussionists, including Ginger Johnson on talking drum and Rocki on his handmade carved congas. Jimi liked experimenting with a lot of drumming.....

......Rocki had played with the Rolling Stones, Ginger Baker, Georgie Fame, Spooky Tooth, and with a whole lot of other people. He was considered the journeyman conga player of the London scene.......

Henderson, David 'Scuse Me While kiss The Sky.......

Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child

Copright 1978, 1981,

This Atria Books hardcover edition July 2008

Jiimi Henderix Royal Albert Concert Feb. 18/24 1969

http://ledzeppelin.com/show/february-24-1969

Denny Laine was in London in Relationship with Cathering James author of "Dandelion"...

Jimmy was on the east coast of the USA with The Yardbirds on the Dick Clark Caravan of Stars Tour. Their gig at the Memorial Coliseum in Winston Salem, NC for this date was cancelled (on account of illness) but they played two performances in Washington D.C. the next day.

Bottom line is Jimmy was not in England on 11/25/66 and he said he never saw Hendrix perform. If I'm not mistaken Jimmy did say he crossed paths with Hendrix in a club once but didn't bother to approach his table because Hendrix looked really out of it at the time.

In one of the few intelligent questions I asked Jimmy in 1983 when he was in town for the ARMS warm-ups, was if he ever got to see Jimi play live in concert....and his answer to that question was : "No".

In one of the few intelligent questions I asked Jimmy in 1983 when he was in town for the ARMS warm-ups, was if he ever got to see Jimi play live in concert....and his answer to that question was : "No".

Ah, you got to meet him, then - must have been fun! :D

:yesnod: He's always said that in interviews as well.

If one hasn't looked into all the facts, I guess it just seems natural to suppose they met and saw each other perform - and people are in fact likely to believe they did if they rely on the Hendrix literature, where the assumption that Jimmy went to see Hendrix is made very often.

Lucky you! It still seems strange to me and I know I've said it before, that somehow their paths didn't cross and Jimmy never got to see Jimi live.

I dont know what the original source of this quote from Jimmy Page but it's in Howard Mylett's book "Jimmy Page: Tangents In A Framework" on page 79:

Jimmy's opinions of Hendrix are, "He was out of this galaxy, he really was. I put his stuff on still and it's so advanced of everything else in my estimation. Absolutely brilliant. I only met him once but never saw him play live, only a film of his performance at Monterey Festival."

Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know.

Jimmy Page

--------------------

I'm fairly certain this was in October 1969, as Led Zeppelin stayed in New York for several nights.

Salvation was located in Greenwich Village, as was Jimi's apartment, and he only played twice with Gypsy Sun and Rainbows following their Woodstock Festival in August. One of those gigs was at Salvation. Apparently, he was there quite a bit during this time.

Hypothesis:

On October 17th 1969 Eugene Mcfadden took over as Jimi Hendrix's manager. This

is three days prior to Jimmy Page's return to New York for two days off. On the night

in question, a stressed out Jimi Hendrix has gone to Salvation to try to relax. He's been under enormous pressure since performing at Woodstock that August. His band is breaking up and he's now under new management. For these reasons he is not in good condition when Jimmy Page encounters him.

• 3 years later...

My hypothesis would be that Page saw Jimi in a bar but Jimi was either too stoned or too drunk, so it wasn't the best time for Page to get acquainted with him. Well, nobody knew that he was going to die soon... This is what Page said in a Rolling Stone interview.

My hypothesis would be that Page saw Jimi in a bar but Jimi was either too stoned or too drunk, so it wasn't the best time for Page to get acquainted with him. Well, nobody knew that he was going to die soon... This is what Page said in a Rolling Stone interview.

I believe this story too. I think he also told this in Guitar World too. I remember reading it somewhere before this recent Rolling Stone interview.

I just realised they both loved Bob Dylan. Jimmy loved Bob Dylan during his session era too. He talks about how Jackie DeShannon asked if he wanted to hear Dylan's latest album according to his '77 interview fromt the Press Reports book.

I prefer mine (though I'm biased LOL) because after deconflicting all of the known/confirmed appearances in NY from '68-'70 for both one finds their paths cross there in October 1969.

Archived