Appalachia

redrum

I have relatives in Wytheville, Virginia and my Mother was born just south of there in Ivanhoe.

There are times when I wish I'd never been born in San Francisco as a city slicker and lost all my country roots. But not much I can do about that I guess. But I've always loved Shelby Lee Adams' photos from Appalachia and I know that I would probably fit right in if I ever got back that way.

Check out Shelby's site. He is one the great modern day photographer's in my opinion. :)

http://shelby-lee-adams.blogspot.com

I've been through the Appalachian Trail... on my way to Argentina :whistling:

Anyway, I've grown up in boring old suburbia, outside of Rochester, NY. But my mother's side of the family grew up near the finger lakes area/Canandaigua area, which is probably produces the best American wine outside of Napa Valley. (If anyone knows where I'm talking about).

It isn't as rural as parts of Appalachia, but it is definitely in the "sticks". So, I can relate those country roots like you talked about. However, for me, its a nice place to visit and unwind, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Some nice photos by the way.

I have relatives in Wytheville, Virginia and my Mother was born just south of there in Ivanhoe.

There are times when I wish I'd never been born in San Francisco as a city slicker and lost all my country roots. But not much I can do about that I guess. But I've always loved Shelby Lee Adams' photos from Appalachia and I know that I would probably fit right in if I ever got back that way.

Check out Shelby's site. He is one the great modern day photographer's in my opinion. :)

I live about 70 miles north of Atlanta right were the appalachian mountains start. The beauty of this area is amazing and as you continue a little north and through the Blue Ridge Parkway there are these quaint little towns with some of the best people I have ever met. I am sure that people have a perception of the appalachians and would be suprised to see the growth in a lot of these areas. While there are places that are still extremely remote there are a lot of very upscale areas tucked away throughout the small towns. I love the people here, the music and the history. I only hope that they do not continue to overbuild and take away the beauty.

I lived in cities for a big part of my life and loved that as well. But you can't beat the serenity and nature here.

Hey, I've been really close to both Wytheville and Ivanhoe! My family and I were driving from Charlotte, NC to Charlottesville, VA last summer and passed through there...I remember seeing road signs for Wytheville. Do you know where Dugspur is? It's a ways east of those two towns, but we were looking for an apple cider brewery there (yeah, we do weird stuff on vacation, hehe) and met the nicest people while asking for directions. Ridiculously beautiful place, too.

We started out in Nashville, so we got to see both the Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains on the way. Both are gorgeous beyond belief...a little slice of heaven on earth, if you ask me. I would love to have grown up there... I wish I hadn't been born in such a big-city kind of place, too. Unfortunately, my family isn't from anywhere half as picturesque - western Nebraska - but even so, I think I would've preferred it to the traffic and big attitudes around here. I know country life isn't perfect (see Dolly Parton's childhood, for example), but I think I'd rather put up with its "cons" than a city's "cons."

I've been through the Appalachian Trail... on my way to Argentina :whistling:

No politics! B)

Anyway, I've grown up in boring old suburbia, outside of Rochester, NY. But my mother's side of the family grew up near the finger lakes area/Canandaigua area, which is probably produces the best American wine outside of Napa Valley. (If anyone knows where I'm talking about).

It isn't as rural as parts of Appalachia, but it is definitely in the "sticks". So, I can relate those country roots like you talked about. However, for me, its a nice place to visit and unwind, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I know the Napa Valley. 2 of my brothers live north of there in Willits, CA. Yeah, I doubt I'd want to live in Appalachia but I know a visit there would be pretty cool.

Some nice photos by the way.

I got an e mail from Shelby and he just spent 37 days in Kentucky takin' more pics. :)

No politics! B)

I know the Napa Valley. 2 of my brothers live north of there in Willits, CA. Yeah, I doubt I'd want to live in Appalachia but I know a visit there would be pretty cool.

1. I'm childish and could not resist... Sorry :)

2. I was reffering to the Canandaugia/Finger Lakes area, if you knew about those areas. But, just south of there is where the appilacians begin in New York state.

Anyone ever seen the documentary Dancin' Outlaw that originally aired on West Virginia Public Television years ago? If not, you owe it to yourself to. For an appetizer just do a search on Dancin' Outlaw and/or Jesco White on YouTube. In fact, I believe the entire movie has even been posted online somewhere.

51D3QYT6J4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I live about 70 miles north of Atlanta right were the appalachian mountains start. The beauty of this area is amazing and as you continue a little north and through the Blue Ridge Parkway there are these quaint little towns with some of the best people I have ever met. I am sure that people have a perception of the appalachians and would be suprised to see the growth in a lot of these areas. While there are places that are still extremely remote there are a lot of very upscale areas tucked away throughout the small towns. I love the people here, the music and the history. I only hope that they do not continue to overbuild and take away the beauty.

I lived in cities for a big part of my life and loved that as well. But you can't beat the serenity and nature here.

That's what I've heard about how they are developing the area with only pockets left of the true mountain people. I hate developers with a passion. I lost a great view of Mt. Rainier because of those pricks. :angry:

Hey, I've been really close to both Wytheville and Ivanhoe! My family and I were driving from Charlotte, NC to Charlottesville, VA last summer and passed through there...I remember seeing road signs for Wytheville. Do you know where Dugspur is? It's a ways east of those two towns, but we were looking for an apple cider brewery there (yeah, we do weird stuff on vacation, hehe) and met the nicest people while asking for directions. Ridiculously beautiful place, too.

I don't know Dugspur. I have a map of Virginia but that's about it. I'd like to see Manassas and Arlington Nat'l. Cemetery. My cousin General Claire Chennault (Flying Tigers) is buried there.

I have a Foxfire book that shows you how to build a still. :D

We started out in Nashville, so we got to see both the Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains on the way. Both are gorgeous beyond belief...a little slice of heaven on earth, if you ask me. I would love to have grown up there... I wish I hadn't been born in such a big-city kind of place, too. Unfortunately, my family isn't from anywhere half as picturesque - western Nebraska - but even so, I think I would've preferred it to the traffic and big attitudes around here. I know country life isn't perfect (see Dolly Parton's childhood, for example), but I think I'd rather put up with its "cons" than a city's "cons."

Big cities are nothing but breeding grounds for psychotics and neurotics. :blink: I'm so glad I left the rat race bay area and now I get the smell of the farmers 'dairy air' :D

Half of my kin came from the hills of Eastern Tennessee, Carter Co.

They have their own 'holler' and my Grandfather donated a huge chunk of land for a cemetery so all the kin could be in one place.

My Dad split as soon as he could though, to join the Navy and get out of the hills. He preferred the cities until just before he passed, he wanted to go back to the peace of the hills. Sadly, he never got the chance.

Beautiful part of the country indeed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the links, Red.

Most of my kin folk came out of them thar' hills......

Shelby recently sent me some tips on developing sheet film. He uses good 'ol Edwal FG7.

It's nice to be able to speak to the master. :)

The beauty of The Great Smokey Mountains is unbelievable. I was driving from Myrtyl Beach one year when I got stuck in the clouds crossing over the peak of the largest mountain. It was raining cats and dogs too. So since it was thick as thick I took a lot of time. When I slipped through the clouds, no more rain.

AND!

The view was priceless. I took a picture. This picture was submitted to Virginia Lohle and she about flipped over the pic. To make a long story short we talked for hours and hours several times. Through the phone and emails. She told me some very cool stories about Led Zeppelin and something about Jimmy which I refuse to repeat. According to "Ginney," she had met Mr Page 8 times and would always dance in the aisles at the shows.

What blew my mind was she asked me if I was interested in "Shooting" Cleveland shows. At the time I didn't have the stamina to be bouncing around back stage and pushing through the crowds.

Ginney, enjoy dancing in the aisles in the stars.

Anyways, the mountains are gorgeous. If you visit drive safely and enjoy the views.

>>>

I used to go here and walk my dog all the time....Chimney Rock and Lake Lure...instead of a pic?

Explore young Jedi's!

http://www.romanticasheville.com/

The beauty of The Great Smokey Mountains is unbelievable. I was driving from Myrtyl Beach one year when I got stuck in the clouds crossing over the peak of the largest mountain. It was raining cats and dogs too. So since it was thick as thick I took a lot of time. When I slipped through the clouds, no more rain.

AND!

The view was priceless. I took a picture. This picture was submitted to Virginia Lohle and she about flipped over the pic. To make a long story short we talked for hours and hours several times. Through the phone and emails. She told me some very cool stories about Led Zeppelin and something about Jimmy which I refuse to repeat. According to "Ginney," she had met Mr Page 8 times and would always dance in the aisles at the shows.

What blew my mind was she asked me if I was interested in "Shooting" Cleveland shows. At the time I didn't have the stamina to be bouncing around back stage and pushing through the crowds.

Anyways, the mountains are gorgeous. If you visit drive safely and enjoy the views.

>>>

I used to go here and walk my dog all the time....Chimney Rock and Lake Lure...instead of a pic?

Explore young Jedi's!

Asheville kinda looks like where they filmed parts of 'Last Of The Mohicans' with Daniel Day Lewis. Gorgeous. :)

AND!

>>>

Explore young Jedi's!

Almost every time I drive the south end of the (NC) Parkway I drive into some rain, pass through one of the tunnel's and out the other side and it's not raining with the sun shining brightly! :blink:

Almost every time I drive the south end of the (NC) Parkway I drive into some rain, pass through one of the tunnel's and out the other side and it's not raining with the sun shining brightly! :blink:

That is a strange sensation. I've seen it raining like mad here, I cross the parking lot and nothing. Or really foggy here and at the top of the mountain just gorgeous and sunny with all the clouds laying in the valleys.

Archived