Les Paul

Plant/Page

Alright, i need a new guitar, and i was thinking of a Les Paul. Only thing is, i can't afford the gibson, so what are your opinions on the Epiphone? I'm not gonna be able to afford the Gibson anytime soon, but i can afford a little more then the Epiphone, but i do really like the Les Paul, think i should go for it?

I'm talking the LP standard here, btw. And i am currently playing a Epiphone SG g-400.

thanks

Yes, that's my number one choice for now, but i think ima check around the shop abit too. I've heard lots of reports of factory defects, and bad intonation, nothing to serious. Hopfully I'll find the one just for me, the only thing im nervous about is that when i was looking for an SG and settled for the Epiphone, i was a little dissapointed. I'm not sure if that dissappointment is directed towards the SG itself, or Epiphones in general.

Although, when i think about it i didn't know what i was doing when i bought it, and i made a huge mistake by buying it for it's price and not for how much i like it. My musical style has changed since then, and want a guitar thats sound is hot, that can scream, and that can hold a note. That, personally sounds like an Les Paul to me :)

Well, the Gibson is better sound wise and aesthetically than the Epiphone obviously, I never played a Gibson but from what I hear there's not a big difference between the two, so even though you get a very good guitar there's better, especially better looking I think. My advice: you should tried first if you can, it's a good guitar and definitely has that Les Paul sound.

And about the intonation problems it might have I believe you can have that fixed on the shop, when I bought mine the guy at the store did some fixing on it.

I'm a drummer, but this holds true for ALL instruments... play as many as you can, and buy the one that sounds and feels best to you. There are just as many gems in the lower price range as there are duds in the stratosphere. :)

Search long and hard for an Epiphone Elitist. Basically a Japanese made Gibson. You should be able to land one for $700-$1,000. They pop up on E-Bay once in awhile but are getting hard to come bye. Problem solved.;)

Just checked. There is a cherry burst standard up on E-bay right now! Starting bid $700. Jump on it if you can. If I had the money right now it would be mine already.

I've owned numerous Gibson Les Paul Standards, including 57 Goldtop and 59 Sunburst Custom Historic Reissues. My Epiphone Les Paul Standard was made in China and plays better than some Gibsons I've had.

But always, as Hickory Man said, trust your ears.

Oh, and the Alnico pickups in the Epiphone sound every bit as good as the Gibson Burstbuckers to my ears. ;)

Search long and hard for an Epiphone Elitist. Basically a Japanese made Gibson. You should be able to land one for $700-$1,000. They pop up on E-Bay once in awhile but are getting hard to come bye. Problem solved.;)

Just checked. There is a cherry burst standard up on E-bay right now! Starting bid $700. Jump on it if you can. If I had the money right now it would be mine already.

A very good choice, a bit more expensive and harder to find I guess but I've heard only good things about the Epiphone Elitist series.

Still, when searching the ebay beware of fake epiphones. Here's a good guide on how to spot them: Link

A very good choice, a bit more expensive and harder to find I guess but I've heard only good things about the Epiphone Elitist series.

Link

Same here. I've yet to see one in person but know them by reputation. The only apparent differences between the Elitist and the Gibsons is nitro finish vs. poly. and the headstock. The electronics are all Gibson. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Don't restrict yourself to Epiphone. One manufacturer's $400 guitar is built the same as every other manufacturer's $400 guitar, often at the same factory by the same workers. Brand is really irrelevant. Compare your Epiphone of choice to an Ibanez ART100/300/320/420, or any other brand of single cutaway electric. The options may vary from brand to brand but the build quality at any given dollar amount will be virtually identical.

Alright, thanks for all you help. I am %90 sure this is the guitar I'm getting, the Les Paul, that is. I just have 1 very basic question.

What's the difference between the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top, and the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain top ?

The wood grain is fake on an Epi anyway, so it makes even less of a difference.

*Takes Epi figured top Les Paul out of case and tries to determine how it's faked.*

Looks like striped wood to me. Took my glasses off and looked at it closely. Yep, it's wood grain. Maybe they changed something in the last few years.

But agreed, it is all appearance. Mahogany and maple makes a great sound. And those Epi Alnico pickups have plenty of punch! And the neck plays beautifully! So why split hairs? :D

Does it play well, or are you after a look? That's the real question. If it feels right, buy it! ;)

Yes, exactly. The plain top doesn't have the fancy grain known as "flame"

See the stripes in the wood

flame_2_resize.jpg

And the lack thereof in the plain top

58_Gibson_Custom_Cherry_Burst_reissue_1.jpg

Yeah, I remember people calling them "tiger stripe" to. I think that the "grade" of the wood is higher or a more select pick of wood in the Les Paul's than the Epiphone.

Yeah, I remember people calling them "tiger stripe" to. I think that the "grade" of the wood is higher or a more select pick of wood in the Les Paul's than the Epiphone.

Perhaps, but again it's a mere matter of appearance. More "stripey" wood doesn't guarantee superior tone. In fact, Jimmy Page's coveted "Number One" Les Paul is distinct in having virtually no stripe for a '59. Goes to show you don't ever know! ;)

*Takes Epi figured top Les Paul out of case and tries to determine how it's faked.*

Looks like striped wood to me. Took my glasses off and looked at it closely. Yep, it's wood grain. Maybe they changed something in the last few years.

But agreed, it is all appearance. Mahogany and maple makes a great sound. And those Epi Alnico pickups have plenty of punch! And the neck plays beautifully! So why split hairs? :D

Does it play well, or are you after a look? That's the real question. If it feels right, buy it! ;)

It's a clear film with the grain pattern in it, put under the finish. I dunno if veneer is the right term for that, but they're most definitely faked.

• 6 months later...

Wow, it took so long to get the guitar, I forgot about this topic! Sorry about that, anyways I decided to spring for the plus top.

Plays real nice, nice rich tone. Its deffenintly a good guitar, although its only gonna be about a year intill I get the Gibson. (:

Thanks for the help!

post-13371-126629068147_thumb.jpg

Wow, it took so long to get the guitar, I forgot about this topic! Sorry about that, anyways I decided to spring for the plus top.

Plays real nice, nice rich tone. Its deffenintly a good guitar, although its only gonna be about a year intill I get the Gibson. (:

Thanks for the help!

Wow! Looks exactly the same as my Les Paul.

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul then I upgraded the pickups to the Gibson ones for a more Gibson sound

Archived