Jump to content

I've Been Going to the...MOOOOvies


bigstickbonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/31/2020 at 12:37 PM, redrum said:

Literally puts the remake to shame. And shame on them for even doing a remake.

Amazon.com: True Grit (1969): John Wayne, Glen Campbell, Kim Darby ...

 

As much as I love Jeff Bridges he screwed up the remake. Came across as a caricature and a bad one at that. Plus the girl actress was just way, way too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

As much as I love Jeff Bridges he screwed up the remake. Came across as a caricature and a bad one at that. Plus the girl actress was just way, way too much.

Ol Jeff just kind of mumbled his way through that one. The girl was also annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, redrum said:

Ol Jeff just kind of mumbled his way through that one. The girl was also annoying.

Yep, and there is no way a girl that age, in that time would have acted as she did. They likely would have just taken her to a brothel and put her to work the first time she opened her mouth and pissed everyone off. Women / girls had only two options in the Old West, wife or whore. That's why most whores in the Old West were widows and / or runaways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

Yep, and there is no way a girl that age, in that time would have acted as she did. They likely would have just taken her to a brothel and put her to work the first time she opened her mouth and pissed everyone off. Women / girls had only two options in the Old West, wife or whore. That's why most whores in the Old West were widows and / or runaways.

Tough times. The good ol days. 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

More Quarantine Cinema.

The 1972 original. Accept no substitutes. In my top 5 of Bronson movies...top 5 Jan-Michael Vincent, too. Cool vintage '70s Los Angeles locations.

large_iPDghSjRjKWtLq2dwywkBizMKFp.jpg.846b520215daf7bafff69835ea7f6a47.jpg

John Payne is a boxing mug who gets framed for the murder of his double-crossing wife. Evelyn Keyes tries to help him out. Best of all are the jewel fence and his heavy, played by Jay Adler and Jack Lambert.t

99-river-street-movie-poster.jpg.83eaf033a9fb5c49855cae66d9e6f5a6.jpg

Evelyn Keyes creates a pandemic in New York City. Definitely B-movie quality...maybe even C-level. Two notable things about the movie are Evelyn Keyes and cinematography by Joseph Birac.The_Killer_That_Stalked_New_York-979302729-large.jpg.a0c16636d9393a4224a80e8a556ed001.jpg

A solid little noir.

kansas-city-conf.gif.62db896b8acd544818ac22ee276f0bad.gif

Again...stick with the original. Accept no substitutes.

A1Tl2SGYJHL._AC_SY679_.jpg.4feb6cd5e82bdb4addc4e3e09d808aaf.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twas Bette Davis's birthday yesterday so I watched these two early Bettes last night.

of-human-bondage-movie-poster-1934-1020143385.thumb.jpg.21f3ff7479d38b2a26b940a575cce47c.jpglf.jpeg.9e0ded1933d5cfd44fedeefaa9af7212.jpeg

This morning I put on a couple of other classics...one old, one new.

"A Letter to Three Wives" has a moment or two that influenced ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky". If you watch it you'll know it when you hear it.

429468421_MV5BMzg0ZWQ1Y2EtYzBkMi00MTk0LWFhMTEtZGUwZTIzNGYyOWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR006581000_AL_.thumb.jpg.f7a09ac2924b51f6affd473ae430dbeb.jpg

"Tous les Matins du Monde" is simply a moving experience and one of the greatest classical music movies ever. Up there with "Amadeus" and "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould". It is the movie that introduced me to Jordi Savall.

tous-les-matins-du-monde_affiche-749x1024.thumb.jpg.a6dcf2a1a0c59112e01b5a16de4cbc15.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Twas Bette Davis's birthday yesterday so I watched these two early Bettes last night.

of-human-bondage-movie-poster-1934-1020143385.thumb.jpg.21f3ff7479d38b2a26b940a575cce47c.jpglf.jpeg.9e0ded1933d5cfd44fedeefaa9af7212.jpeg

This morning I put on a couple of other classics...one old, one new.

"A Letter to Three Wives" has a moment or two that influenced ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky". If you watch it you'll know it when you hear it.

429468421_MV5BMzg0ZWQ1Y2EtYzBkMi00MTk0LWFhMTEtZGUwZTIzNGYyOWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR006581000_AL_.thumb.jpg.f7a09ac2924b51f6affd473ae430dbeb.jpg

"Tous les Matins du Monde" is simply a moving experience and one of the greatest classical music movies ever. Up there with "Amadeus" and "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould". It is the movie that introduced me to Jordi Savall.

tous-les-matins-du-monde_affiche-749x1024.thumb.jpg.a6dcf2a1a0c59112e01b5a16de4cbc15.jpg

:thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Strider said:

"My name is Pussy Galore."

"I must be dreaming."

il_570xN.865960043_d8ll.thumb.jpg.e6dc1db928fe4827dcffcbfa1549e288.jpg

The media is having a real time with Ms. Blackman's death as they refuse to name her character in Goldfinger. They do quote the Sean Connery line but leave out the Pussy Galore part, they simply say, "When Bond wakes up in Goldfinger and sees Honor Blackman he says, "I must be dreaming."' Kinda looses the point when they leave out Blackman first introducing herself to Bond as Pussy Galore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

The media is having a real time with Ms. Blackman's death as they refuse to name her character in Goldfinger. They do quote the Sean Connery line but leave out the Pussy Galore part, they simply say, "When Bond wakes up in Goldfinger and sees Honor Blackman he says, "I must be dreaming."' Kinda looses the point when they leave out Blackman first introducing herself to Bond as Pussy Galore. 

How about 'Vagina Aplenty?'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

The media is having a real time with Ms. Blackman's death as they refuse to name her character in Goldfinger. They do quote the Sean Connery line but leave out the Pussy Galore part, they simply say, "When Bond wakes up in Goldfinger and sees Honor Blackman he says, "I must be dreaming."' Kinda looses the point when they leave out Blackman first introducing herself to Bond as Pussy Galore. 

 

3 hours ago, redrum said:

How about 'Vagina Aplenty?'

They almost changed her character's name to Kitty Galore. But the producers were able to satisfy the British censors by explaining 10-year old boys wouldn't know "Pussy" was a reference to anything other than a cat. And if any 10-year olds did know what pussy was slang for, then they were dirty little bastards anyway.

In America though, they could not use Pussy Galore in any of the promotional material...no posters or photos with the name Pussy Galore. Honor Blackman took great delight in mentioning her character's name as often as she could in interviews.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

....don't forget about Plenty O'Toole!

Nobody is forgetting Plenty O' Toole...or Holly Goodhead and all the rest of the double-entendre Bond Girl names.

Two notes to consider:

1. Honor Blackman just passed away. Lana Wood is still alive.

2. "Goldfinger" came out in 1964. "Diamonds Are Forever" came out in 1971. There was a complete cultural shift during that time. 1971 was a much more permissive time. By then nobody was batting an eye at a name like Plenty O'Toole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You may have heard the news that some idiot has decided to remake the Robert Mitchum classic "Night of the Hunter". Okay...maybe it won't totally suck. Maybe a 10% chance it will be watchable.

With that in mind, today I am watching a pair of movies that illustrates the rare example of a remake not being an embarrassment. "Seven Samurai" and "The Magnificent Seven" .

412px-Seven_Samurai_poster_1.jpg.668d84141478e87413ed5c8e56403f06.jpg4153236_640px.thumb.jpg.438475303f1b53dad4fc864d8fc7b5e8.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Strider said:

You may have heard the news that some idiot has decided to remake the Robert Mitchum classic "Night of the Hunter". Okay...maybe it won't totally suck. Maybe a 10% chance it will be watchable.

With that in mind, today I am watching a pair of movies that illustrates the rare example of a remake not being an embarrassment. "Seven Samurai" and "The Magnificent Seven" .

412px-Seven_Samurai_poster_1.jpg.668d84141478e87413ed5c8e56403f06.jpg4153236_640px.thumb.jpg.438475303f1b53dad4fc864d8fc7b5e8.jpg

 

Night Of The Hunter remake...................Blasphemy!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102533/

Seven Samurai.......Mifune is awesome in that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Introduced this movie to my younger brother and nephew last night. This was the first John Wayne movie I remember seeing...it was at a drive-in in 1969.

Now, imagine this movie with Elvis Presley and Mia Farrow instead of Glenn Campbell and Kim Darby. The producers wanted Elvis Presley but his agent asked for top billing over John Wayne and that was a no-go. Mia Farrow was first offered the girl part but she tried to get Henry Hathaway fired and Roman Polanski hired as director. Goodbye Mia. 

Just as well. Mia would have been unbelievable as a tough tomboy of the West. I find her annoying in most movies. Karen Carpenter, Tuesday Weld and Sondra Locke and Sally Field all had a chance at the part before it went to Kim Darby. Frankly, I think it turned out for the best that Kim Darby and Glenn Campbell got the parts.

Watch for Robert Duvall, Strother Martin, and Dennis Hopper, too.

true-grit-poster.jpg.a7df09319ab4c46b40a734cbde01ae5c.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...