So I'm planning on investigating Scott Walker.

Muse

Muse

Scott is a total genius! He has the most glorious voice, is a brilliant songwriter and is one of those rare artists whose music gets more challenging as he gets older. A bit like our dear beloved Robert Plant.

If it's the experimental stuff you're interested in, try The Drift from last year, or 1995's Tilt. Expect the unexpected: the most oblique melodies, sides of beef being hit with a mallet and some very interesting lyrics.

However I would also unreservedly recommend Boy Child, a superb collection of the more melodic 60s stuff.

Happy listening and let me know how you get on!

Kevster

Have you heard the fairy story The Emperor's New Clothes? Well. SWcott walker is the musical equivalent. Unlistenable hog wash past off as cutting edge music. Hey, enough pseudo intellectuals critics say 'it's great darling' so it must be.

In case you missed it - I'm not a fan. :hysterical:

Have you heard the fairy story The Emperor's New Clothes? Well. SWcott walker is the musical equivalent. Unlistenable hog wash past off as cutting edge music. Hey, enough pseudo intellectuals critics say 'it's great darling' so it must be.

In case you missed it - I'm not a fan. :hysterical:

Hey SIBLY - I'm a proper intellectual B) and I say Scott rocks!

So there!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

On the Uncut CD "Bring it on Home" a couple of years ago, Robert's selections included Scott Walker's "Farmer in the City." It was a bit out there to say the least. Is that typical of his sound? I'd never heard of him prior.

"Farmer in the City" is an excellent song but hardly the flavour of the rest of it's parent album, I'd go as far as saying it the most accessible song on "tilt".

I enjoyed "Bish Bosch" especially "SDSS1416+13B" and I'm really looking forward to "Soused" in September.

Scott Walker is one of those classic "love it or hate it" type of artist...there really is no middle ground. Your reaction will be one or the other.

Since the reactions to his music or so personal, I can't really guide you...what I like, you may not and vice versa. He is really someone it is best to just discover on your own at your own speed. Be your own guide. Start with his first records and progress from there. That's what is great about youtube...you can sample his songs on there before committing to buying an album. Good luck and enjoy the ride...the journey is half the fun.

well said Strider, "love it or hate it" great info too! youtube.com is the way to check Scott Walker stuff out , one of my fav track is " framer in the city" his cd box set five easy pieces" is also a fav too!... :stereo: on if you wish to start find the best of...

All that being said, if pressed I think "Scott 4" is my favourite Scott Walker album...but that could easily change if you ask me next week...

...or last year, when my answer might have been "Scott 3".

• 3 months later...

All that being said, if pressed I think "Scott 4" is my favourite Scott Walker album...but that could easily change if you ask me next week...

...or last year, when my answer might have been "Scott 3".

Love both of those albums Strider. Nite Flights also includes stellar work from Scott.

I turned my wife onto Scott Walker recently and she's fallen into the rabbit hole. She's been playing his music non-stop. You can't say the guy isn't committed to his own vision regarding his music.

Love both of those albums Strider. Nite Flights also includes stellar work from Scott.

I turned my wife onto Scott Walker recently and she's fallen into the rabbit hole. She's been playing his music non-stop. You can't say the guy isn't committed to his own vision regarding his music.

Glad to be of service, Chicago. Many people are unaware that Scott is still going strong, putting out new music, and he just dropped a doozy of an album recently that is vastly different from his 60s output. "Soused" is his latest album, a collaboration with the "heavier-than-heavy" band Sunn O))). Intense is putting it mildly.

Archived