Best shows of 1970

I've been looking at more of their earlier shows and they are completely blowing me away. One show i really like is 4/8/70 in Raleigh, they are absolutely all on fire!!

I was wondering what are the best shows from that year excluding the obvious ones like:

3/7 montreux

9/2 oakland

9/4 LA

9/19 msg evening show

1/9 (jimmy's b-day)

(im also looking for ones that are pretty decent in quality)

03-21 Vancouver obviously it's a SB there's also a solid aud from this one

09-19 NYC both shows are good

08-15 Yale is a decent show, but it's probably a little bit of a step down in quality.

02-28 is another good one.

There's a couple others that are pretty decent.

The Holy Grail still has to be the Bath Festival, from June of that year! All reports indicate that to be a great show! We know it was filmed, and the film never survived, so it is hard to tell if any of the audio was kept. What a great surprise if that show ever appeared, in audio or video format!

The other intriguing show to me, from 1070, is the show in Iceland a few days before Bath. We received glimpes in film format from the DVD. This show was the band's first, since the Phoenix, Arizona show in April of 1970. Between that time, they were writing and recording Zep 3. So, with two months between shows, it would have been interesting to see if Zep tried out a new set list, or at least new songs, for the Iceland show. Sort of as a dress rehearsal for Bath, if you like. You would think they would have at least tried some of the new material.

I do remember Steve Jones saying he read something a long time ago about the Iceland show, but I think Steve said something to the effect that what he read never really covered the set list. Do I have that right Steve?

How lucky would we be if there was more concert film footage from Iceland, besides what we get on the DVD?

The Holy Grail still has to be the Bath Festival, from June of that year! All reports indicate that to be a great show! We know it was filmed, and the film never survived, so it is hard to tell if any of the audio was kept. What a great surprise if that show ever appeared, in audio or video format!

The other intriguing show to me, from 1070, is the show in Iceland a few days before Bath. We received glimpes in film format from the DVD. This show was the band's first, since the Phoenix, Arizona show in April of 1970. Between that time, they were writing and recording Zep 3. So, with two months between shows, it would have been interesting to see if Zep tried out a new set list, or at least new songs, for the Iceland show. Sort of as a dress rehearsal for Bath, if you like. You would think they would have at least tried some of the new material.

I do remember Steve Jones saying he read something a long time ago about the Iceland show, but I think Steve said something to the effect that what he read never really covered the set list. Do I have that right Steve?

How lucky would we be if there was more concert film footage from Iceland, besides what we get on the DVD?

There are some stills from the Bath video on this slideshow I knocked up!

We have an Audience recording. Its one of the few very poor recordings that considered a must have. Its listenable, but barely. And most that have heard it will agree it was an amazing performance.

• 1 month later...

Archived