I Live On Miles Road Epsom, Does Anyone Know Jimmy's Number?

Hello

I am a young guitarist doing well in a new band. And a really stange coincidence happened. My favourite two bands are The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. But by a mile. I got a new-ish girlfriend and I ended up renting a house from her Godfather in Epsom. It is number 40 Miles Road. To my surprise and complete delight I discovered that Jimmy Page also lived there when he was growing up. It is also the house where he found the guitar as he put it. The one where he thought they might have just left it behind when he got there. I was really hoping that someone might know which number it was in the street. Mainly because our first single is out in November and I thought a shoot with the band at Jimmy's House for the artwork might be really good. I can't seem to find the exact address anywhere but talking to local people they think it might also have been in the 40s! Anyway any information on this would be so gratefully received. Thank you.

Hello

I am a young guitarist doing well in a new band. And a really stange coincidence happened. My favourite two bands are The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. But by a mile. I got a new-ish girlfriend and I ended up renting a house from her Godfather in Epsom. It is number 40 Miles Road. To my surprise and complete delight I discovered that Jimmy Page also lived there when he was growing up. It is also the house where he found the guitar as he put it. The one where he thought they might have just left it behind when he got there. I was really hoping that someone might know which number it was in the street. Mainly because our first single is out in November and I thought a shoot with the band at Jimmy's House for the artwork might be really good. I can't seem to find the exact address anywhere but talking to local people they think it might also have been in the 40s! Anyway any information on this would be so gratefully received. Thank you.

Charlie,

It was 34 Miles Road. The Page's had moved there from Feltham to escape the noise from Heathrow Airport --Jimmy was admitted as a transfer student from Hanworth Road School in Feltham to Pound Lane School in Epsom on October 12 1953.

If you get permission to do a proper shoot at 34 Miles Road bear in mind his mother had allowed him to use the front living room as his rehearsal space. You may even have heard the 45 minute jam session held there in 1965 with Eric Clapton.

Immediate took the master tape and edited it down into some semblance of proper tracks, one of which was titled Miles Road.

saj

Charlie,

It was 34 Miles Road. The Page's had moved there from Feltham to escape the noise from Heathrow Airport --Jimmy was admitted as a transfer student from Hanworth Road School in Feltham to Pound Lane School in Epsom on October 12 1953.

If you get permission to do a proper shoot at 34 Miles Road bear in mind his mother had allowed him to use the front living room as his rehearsal space. You may even have heard the 45 minute jam session held there in 1965 with Eric Clapton.

Immediate took the master tape and edited it down into some semblance of proper tracks, one of which was titled Miles Road.

saj

Nice one Steve, now if you don't fancy going on Hajj down to Epsom you can do this, copy and pace this location in to Google Maps,

34 Miles Rd, Epsom, Surrey KT19 9, United Kingdom

Then use the little Orange man to get you on to the street and travel down the road until you come to the Dusky Pink House, number 32, next to number 30, Jimmy's Mums house is just to the left, there's a little grey 2 door car out front.

Have fun. :)

Edited by BIGDAN

Nice one Steve, now if you don't fancy going on Hajj down to Epsom you can do this, copy and pace this location in to Google Maps,

Miles Rd, Epsom, Surrey KT19 9, United Kingdom

Then use the little Orange man to get you on to the street and travel down the road until you come to the Dusky Pink House, number 32, next to number 30, Jimmy's Mums house is just to the left, there's a little grey 2 door car out front.

Have fun. :)

I've been to Epsom and Miles Road through the years but this feature is a great idea. I'd like to see what some of the old haunts around town look like today. Oh, and Page Motors, owned by Jimmy's Uncle, wasn't too far away from Miles Road.

Steve that is amazing. Thank you so much. Its even more thrilling knowing that its literally 3 doors down from where i live. I suppose as Jimmy would put it "theres no luck in magick"!!! Anyway you gave me more information than I could even have hoped for. I was really also hoping to find the room he found the guitar in. I have heard of the Miles Road tape but I (quite stupidly) didn't know the origin of it. This was the same residence where he found his first guitar isn't it? They think left by the old tenents. Anyway I can't thank you enough for this its just brilliant. Thanks again.

Steve that is amazing. Thank you so much. Its even more thrilling knowing that its literally 3 doors down from where i live. I suppose as Jimmy would put it "theres no luck in magick"!!! Anyway you gave me more information than I could even have hoped for. I was really also hoping to find the room he found the guitar in. I have heard of the Miles Road tape but I (quite stupidly) didn't know the origin of it. This was the same residence where he found his first guitar isn't it? They think left by the old tenents. Anyway I can't thank you enough for this its just brilliant. Thanks again.

Well, Jimmy was only eight when they moved in so I find the oft-repeated anecdote about prior tenants having left the Spanish style acoustic guitar behind to be questionable. It's possible but perhaps his parent's simply purchased it for him two years later, in 1955, after Elvis Presley released 'Baby Let's Play House' - the catalyst for Jimmy wanting to become a part of rock music and learn to play. In his teens he acquired his first proper electric guiitar as well as a sitar (the sitar prior to George Harrison he'll tell you quite proudly) and asked his father if he would ask an Indian co-worker of his to show Jimmy some basics. Later, but still in his teens, Jimmy attended a Ravi Shankar gig with a girlfriend and afterward they met with Ravi, who wrote down some sitar pointers for him.

Well, Jimmy was only eight when they moved in so I find the oft-repeated anecdote about prior tenants having left the Spanish style acoustic guitar behind to be questionable. It's possible but perhaps his parent's simply purchased it for him two years later, in 1955, after Elvis Presley released 'Baby Let's Play House' - the catalyst for Jimmy wanting to become a part of rock music and learn to play. In his teens he acquired his first proper electric guiitar as well as a sitar (the sitar prior to George Harrison he'll tell you quite proudly) and asked his father if he would ask an Indian co-worker of his to show Jimmy some basics. Later, but still in his teens, Jimmy attended a Ravi Shankar gig with a girlfriend and afterward they met with Ravi, who wrote down some sitar pointers for him.

Ha! Thank you once again. Would it have been IN mIles Road when we did start playnig guitar/sitar then? Your knowledge is incredible!

• 2 weeks later...

Might be something of interest to let his management know about, throw in a CD and make sure they know it's not a demo you're submitting, along with some questions you'd have about the place and his memories of it, throw some photos in and a phone number. Either it gets sent up to him or thrown in the trash, but doesn't hurt to try.

• 8 months later...

Here's a fascinating document from Jimmy's late '60s stint with The Yardbirds: his guest registration form with the Alta Mira Hotel in Sausalito, CA that confirms the address for Peter Grant's office on Oxford Street, Jimmy's recentlly purchased boathouse in Pangbourne and that of Jimmy's parent's home on Miles Road in Epsom:

pagenote.jpg

Jimmy himself said that he found the guitar at his home when he and his parents moved, in 'It Might Get Loud'.

He called it an "intervention".

Jimmy himself said that he found the guitar at his home when he and his parents moved, in 'It Might Get Loud'. He called it an "intervention".

Read what I posted again and note he's also said Baby, Let's Play House was the catalyst for wanting to learn the guitar. That song wasn't released until 1955 - more than two years after they'd moved in. Note also he has said his father purchased his first guitar (an acoustic), then later he got a paper route as a teen and purchased his first electric guitar. This "intervention" story sounds good in print and on film and may even be true but everything else suggests if he did find it when they moved in it wasn't significant at the time and he apparently doesn't consider it to have been his first guitar either.

Edited by SteveAJones

Read what I posted again and note he's also said Baby, Let's Play House was the catalyst for wanting to learn the guitar. That song wasn't released until 1955 - more than two years after they'd moved in. Note also he has said his father purchased his first guitar (an acoustic), then later he got a paper route as a teen and purchased his first electric guitar. This "intervention" story sounds good in print and on film and may even be true but everything else suggests if he did find it when they moved in it wasn't significant at the time and he apparently doesn't consider it to have been his first guitar either.

I was just going by what the man said in his own words and voice. Like you posted, he could have ignored the guitar until he heard the song. In the end, for me it doesn't really matter when or where he found or was given his first guitar since he did pick one up and found his lifelong passion.

• 8 years later...
On 9/10/2010 at 9:30 PM, SteveAJones said:

Well, Jimmy confirmed again in his Anthology book- about the prior tenants having left the guitar there, so... it seems it happened that way.

On 9/9/2010 at 7:40 AM, SteveAJones said:

You may even have heard the 45 minute jam session held there in 1965 with Eric Clapton.

I never knew this. Are there other instances of Page & Clapton collaborating/playing together?  

On 9/10/2010 at 6:12 AM, SteveAJones said:

Page Motors, owned by Jimmy's Uncle, wasn't too far away from Miles Road.

Update: My further exhaustive research over the past 10 years conclusively debunked this. There was/is a Page Motors in Epsom, but no connection to Jimmy at all.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:30 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

I never knew this. Are there other instances of Page & Clapton collaborating/playing together?  

Per Jimmy himself, how that jam came about was he and Jeff had gone to see Eric perform with The Bluesbreakers. Eric stayed the night and in the morning they plugged in and recorded that 45-minute blues jam.

They have attended each others concerts through the years and also jammed onstage together several times. 

Jimmy attended Eric's gig at the Rainbow Theatre on 1/13/73. Jimmy & Robert went to see Eric perform at the Hammersmith Odeon 12/5/74. Jimmy again went to see Eric perform, in Brighton, on 5/3/80. Jimmy joined Eric onstage in Guilford on 5/24/83. Were it not for Eric, there would have been no Jimmy Page involvement in the ARMS benefit concerts and US tour later that same year. Eric attended The Firm's first London show in December 1984. Ahmet told Jimmy about it in the dressing the following night. Jimmy asked Ahmet what Eric had thought and when Ahmet said Eric was very impressed Jimmy beamed.

• 5 months later...
On 11/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, IanE said:

SteveAJones

you refer in another forum that in a Hoskins book Jimmy confirmed a half sister Karen.

can you tell me which book as I would like to read it?

thanks

Did I? Well, that Barney Hoskins book is titled "Led Zeppelin: An Oral History" in the US, and "The Power and Excess of Led Zeppelin" in the UK. 

I see now I posted this in another thread on January 5, 2016: In Barney Hoskyns' book Jimmy is quoted confirming his parents' divorced. Jimmy's father remarried, consequently Jimmy has a half-sister named Karen Page Errington. If you go to Scarlet Page's Photography page on Facebook (Go to Photos, then 2012, 2nd photo from the left), there is a photograph where Ms Page Errington comments on one of Scarlet's photos. On KPE's own Facebook page, in 2013, she displayed a photograph of her late (step) father - James Page. Condolence posts and her comment of 6 July 2013 established she and Jimmy Page are half-brother and sister. I have some additional photos KPE has shared but I'm not sharing them on any public forums. If memory serves correct, she also has a step-brother named Darren Roberts. -- Steve A. Jones

On 6/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, SilverVishnu said:

Funny, I found out the other week I live next door to one of Peter Grant's residences in Eastbourne in his last few years. He used to have his black Range Rover plate LZ1, and the Porsche plate BAD1 (Bad Company) on the drive.

Yes! It was completely refurbished and put back on the market almost five years ago.

http://bravewords.com/news/former-home-of-legendary-led-zeppelin-manager-peter-grant-on-the-market-for-ps1million