What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

The 1973 German Tour holds a special place in my heart. Yes, the entire 1973 European Tour is great but it is the German shows that are really smoking hot. Jimmy Page and John Bonham were on a level seldom matched again.

nuremberg73_poster_0(1).jpg.04fb48fecceadeb89fbfc71b0ff76d86.jpg

Today is the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the German leg of the 1973 tour as the band played Nürnberg on March 14, 1973. Lucky Germans.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

The 1973 German Tour holds a special place in my heart. Yes, the entire 1973 European Tour is great but it is the German shows that are really smoking hot. Jimmy Page and John Bonham were on a level seldom matched again.

nuremberg73_poster_0(1).jpg.04fb48fecceadeb89fbfc71b0ff76d86.jpg

Today is the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the German leg of the 1973 tour as the band played Nürnberg on March 14, 1973. Lucky Germans.

Same with me. I remember as a teen in the early 80’s getting the Essen,Vienna and Offenburg tapes in the mail. I sent cash in an envelope to some guy in Van Nuys and waited for that package to arrive to me in Toronto. When it did arrive a month later, those shows blew my mind. I owned 4 live Zeppelin albums at the time….Blueberry Hill/Going To California/Destroyer and The Song Remains The Same to compare them too. Well they blew my mind and I fell in love with that tour and it really got me hooked on collecting ever live Zeppelin show I could get my hands on. Back then I used Paul Kendall’s “A Visual Documentary” as my live reference book for dates.

Nuremberg is such a great show. The playing is incredible and equal to all the other gigs on that tour up to Paris. I really like the audience recordings from these shows…..they have an intimate feel to them. Cheers 

6 hours ago, TNmusicman said:

Actually, I am LOVING some Kashmir from the Celebration Day live show. If only brother Bonzo and JPJ could have been there how amazing it would have been but Robert and Jimmy havr never sounded better.

Dude, John Paul Jones was there! Who do you think is playing that keyboard?

15 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I'm only 23 minutes into the show, but this must've been a rather rambunctious crowd--what with Robert adlibbing during "Dazed" for the people to sit down and then telling them to basically pipe down during Jimmy's bow solo...

This show is as hot as it gets. End of the early era as they then went on to record IV.

Edited by JMH

If I had a TARDIS this is where I would go back in time...March 1973. I would go to every gig on Zeppelin's European Tour. No amount of nitpicking will ever dissuade me from considering this March 24, 1973 Offenburg the apex of Jimmy's playing in 1973. Jimmy is strafing the audience with one brain-searing solo after another. There are pull-offs and hammer-ons and fancy little trills everywhere...and the tone is sheer godhead. You think SIBLY is amazing but he is just getting started. The Song Remains the Same is mind-bogglingly articulate. The 12-string rings and chimes like a bell and he is peeling off these incredible runs at lightning speed. I never give a 1977 Song Remains the Same a grade above B because of the existence of the 1973 Song Remains the Same. Jimmy is too ham-fisted in 1977 compared to 1973. Dazed and Confused is everything the phrase "Power, Mystery and the Hammer of the Gods" entails and more. Stupendous. Two hours into the show you would think Jimmy's fingers would get tired and his playing would falter but no, he continues in face-melting proto-shredder mode in the Whole Lotta Love medley (I Can't Quit You...oh my god) and Heartbreaker.

Plain and simple...If you don't like this show you aren't a Led Zeppelin fan. It's a desert island essential and easily one of Jimmy's top 3 performances.

A 50th anniversary salute to March 24, 1973 Offenburg. Play it loud.