What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

11 hours ago, Strider said:

51 years on...

The Ally Pally was a cold place but Jimmy's guitar is 🔥

This show also demonstrates the Americanized patter of Robert Plant. Just as he frequently would talk about 'soccer' instead of 'football' (no Englishman I know says 'soccer', it's always 'football'), Plant here (and on many other 1972-73 shows where they did "Dancing Days") mentions "high school" instead of the English term "secondary school".

Listened to TSRTS, IS, HB and part of the TY solo. Sounded very strong.

Gotta go through the whole show at some point. A bit of a black hole these 72 UK dates for me.

19 minutes ago, JMH said:

Gotta go through the whole show at some point. A bit of a black hole these 72 UK dates for me.

It had been a while since I listened to the 1972 Ally Pally shows ( I skipped their 50th anniversary last year for some reason...prolly busy with work and Christmas stuff) and I had forgotten what a monster "Thank You" is on the 12.22 show. Jimmy conjures a storm of a solo!

Edited by Strider

22 hours ago, Strider said:

It had been a while since I listened to the 1972 Ally Pally shows ( I skipped their 50th anniversary last year for some reason...prolly busy with work and Christmas stuff) and I had forgotten what a monster "Thank You" is on the 12.22 show. Jimmy conjures a storm of a solo!

23 hours ago, JMH said:

Stairway to Heaven from this show is amazing as well. In my top 5 favorite versions. Fantastic solo and emotional singing from Rob.

Got through it… yeah, Europe 73 style precision here.

The show is cooking!

As for the for Stairway solo. Neat and precise and the low notes he found a nice touch.

I am an oddball? If I was to pick a STH solo I’d pick 21.3.75. I just love the structure.

I go regurarly back to 70-73 LZ (sometimes 69) and I am gobsmacked by Page’s execution but my go to shows are from 77 😂

It’s a weird year and cannot but my finger on what it is that ticks. It’s just so bloody huge and the songs and the way they play them.

Anyway, Ally Pally was a good tip from this thread. 🤌🤌🤌

After revisiting Stephen Davis book, 'LZ-75', I've been listening again to some of the shows he writes about during his time following the band on tour that year. So far it's been Madison Square Garden, New York on Feb. 7th, followed by the Olympia Stadium, Detroit on Jan 31st. San Diego Sports Arena on March 10th is probably going to be next. It was a hell of a year, with some terrific concerts, when the band was probably at its commercial peak.

55 years ago last night

That 1968 show at Gonzaga's Kennedy Pavilion would later assume a historic status in Zeppelin lore – all because a student brought a small tape recorder.

Today, this tape – bootlegged and distributed all over the world and the Web – is widely considered the first Led Zeppelin concert ever captured on tape; the earliest live recording of Led Zeppelin ever.

Here's how lead singer Robert Plant introduced one of the songs: "This is off an album that comes out in about three weeks time on the Atlantic label. It's called 'Led Zeppelin.' This is a tune … called 'Dazed and Confused.' "

So their first album wasn't even out yet. The album would not make a mark on the charts until February 1969.

"We knew who Jimmy Page was, from the Yardbirds, and we heard it was his band," said Gallagher, who was a teenager at the time. "I was a big Vanilla Fudge fan because psychedelia was really happening then. … But we were excited about seeing Jimmy Page."

Spokane was experiencing a severe cold snap that week, with temperatures dropping to 10 below. Apparently, the Kennedy Pavilion (Gonzaga's gym) wasn't well-heated either, because many fans remember it as being icy inside, as well.

But when Led Zeppelin launched into the first song, the place heated up.

"Bonham came out and started drumming on 'Train Kept a-Rollin',' and everybody went, 'Holy crap,' " said Gallagher. "There's never been a drummer like him. He was awesome. Then they all started playing and they were totally amazing."

Plant said, between songs, "You won't believe this, but I don't think that either ourselves or our equipment is quite used to the temperature. It's taken about three hours of gas stoves under the equipment to get everything going."

A little later Plant said they were now "getting warmed up properly," and you can hear the crowd response building after each song. By the evidence of the recording, the band's sound was already fully formed, distinguished by Plant's wailing voice – at one point he sounds like a siren – and Page's virtuoso guitar.

"What I mostly remember is when Jimmy Page took out a violin bow and began bowing his double-neck guitar," remembered Jeff "Tor" Nadeau. "The house was universally mind-blown. It was the most stunning and awesome sound ever."

"It took about a half a song before everybody was blown away," remembered David Priano. "When Plant harmonized to Page's pipe-wrench riffs, the audience went nuts. The other thing I remember was the drum solo (during 'Pat's Delight'). As a rule I don't like them. This was the exception. When he threw away his drum sticks and finished with his bare hands – far out."

Whitsitt recalls that Vanilla Fudge "paled in comparison," even though that band was riding high at the time with a hit version of "You Keep Me Hangin' On." Mike and Dorothy McMurtery said they left the show more impressed with Led Zeppelin, "whose hard rock music was ahead of its time for Spokane."

"Then when Vanilla Fudge came on, they were so sleepy," said Gallagher. "It was like, after that, psychedelia was dead and heavy metal was born, all in a three-hour show. We didn't care about psychedelia anymore. We all just ran back to our Yardbirds records."

"We felt transformed," said Whitsitt. "Those of us who experienced it together felt like we were in a special club."

(by Jim Kershner / The Spokesman-Review)

The first Zeppelin boot I ever acquired. A friend taped it for me in the late 80s when I was in high school. Also, does anyone remember that Trampled Underground bootleg directory fanzine from the late 80s? I borrowed it from a friend and pored over it. All of that music seemed so unattainable at the time living in the middle of nowhere.