London's Led Zeppelin Places of Interest

noodle

Hi everyone,

I am hoping that some forum members who are from or familiar with the London area might have ideas as to some tourist attractions or good music venues that are associated with Zeppelin or the current music scene there. Anything come to mind?

Amanda

Need to check where they played their gigs. Places such as The Marquee, Wembley Empire Pool, Earls Courts O2 Arena etc. Also the building where they had their first rehearsal as The New Yardbirds as well as Olympic Studios. Swan Song offices also. I'm sure others can come up with more. Just some basics.

i have lived in london for over 10 years now...here's the list of places i have checked since...

Earls Court - some of their best ever gigs

Royal Albert Hall - my favorite venue in London

Olympic Studios down in Barnes

Gerrard Street - site of their first rehearsal

Ally Pally aka Alexandra Palace - nice views over london, and only a few minutes from my house

Jimmy's Tower House in Kensington

Empire Pool Wembley - not really worth a visit unless you are going to a gig. it's just a concrete hall next to wembley stadium

these are the key locations i feel. The Marquee and numerous other venues unfortunately no longer exist. there are a few other like the Zeppelin Building on Farringdon Road (no relation to the band whatsoever - it's called that because it was bombed by zeppelins during the world war) which are groovy if in the area, but the first 6 above are definitely worht a visit.

the O2 where they played their reunion gig is a great venue in itself although a bit out of the centre. but it houses the british music experience (hall of fame kind of thing) and that is also worth a visit.

i think that should be plenty for a quick dash to london. if you got more time and want to venture out into the countryside there's plenty more...raglan castle, bonzo's grave, etc....

for gig listings check out www.seetickets.com or ticketmaster etc...

enjoy.

ive lived in London all my life and have visted these over the years, not just Zep but Rock and Roll heritage

The Marquee

The Roundhouse

Wembley (arena)

Astoria

100 Club

Jimi Hendrix house in Bond St

Pages Tower house in Kensington

The UFO Club ( it hasnt been a club in my time but i went to the cinema that was there, it was then a Virgin Store, they closed and now its a rubbish 3 for a tenner shop)

Battersea Power Station

Gerrard St, now the main street through China Town

Abbey Road

David Bowies (old?) house by Tower Bridge

Carnaby St (how its changed)

Dublin Castle

02 Arena (hate to include such corporate abominations)

34 Ridgemount Gardens (bob Marleys 1st house in london)

The studio, Sarm East, where Bohemian Rhapsody was written (east london)

My dad (when he was a boy) lived down the road from the Stones in Edith Grove, Chelsea, my family still live down that way

I live by Finsbury park, the Zep played 3 different places near my house, the Hornsey Tavern (demolished), the Fishmongers hall and the Finsbury Park Rainbow, now turned into a place of "worship"....shame

Royal Albert Hall-Saw TCV

Hammersmith Palais and Kentish town Forum-saw Robert Plant 05 & 10

Hammersmith apollo, IMGL Premier, saw Jimmy Page for real

out of town ive done Bron-Yr-Aur, Whisky a Go Go, House of Blues, Venice Beach

ive lived in London all my life and have visted these over the years, not just Zep but Rock and Roll heritage

The Marquee

The Roundhouse

Wembley (arena)

Astoria

100 Club

Jimi Hendrix house in Bond St

Pages Tower house in Kensington

The UFO Club ( it hasnt been a club in my time but i went to the cinema that was there, it was then a Virgin Store, they closed and now its a rubbish 3 for a tenner shop)

Battersea Power Station

Gerrard St, now the main street through China Town

Abbey Road

David Bowies (old?) house by Tower Bridge

Carnaby St (how its changed)

Dublin Castle

02 Arena (hate to include such corporate abominations)

34 Ridgemount Gardens (bob Marleys 1st house in london)

The studio, Sarm East, where Bohemian Rhapsody was written (east london)

My dad (when he was a boy) lived down the road from the Stones in Edith Grove, Chelsea, my family still live down that way

I live by Finsbury park, the Zep played 3 different places near my house, the Hornsey Tavern (demolished), the Fishmongers hall and the Finsbury Park Rainbow, now turned into a place of "worship"....shame

Royal Albert Hall-Saw TCV

Hammersmith Palais and Kentish town Forum-saw Robert Plant 05 & 10

Hammersmith apollo, IMGL Premier, saw Jimmy Page for real

out of town ive done Bron-Yr-Aur, Whisky a Go Go, House of Blues, Venice Beach

When did Zep play the Rainbow in Finsbury Park ??? Was that a gig or rehearsals?

When did Zep play the Rainbow in Finsbury Park ??? Was that a gig or rehearsals?

November 27 & 28, 1972

Led Zeppelin rehearsals for upcoming UK tour

January 13, 1973

Jimmy attended Eric Clapton's performances at Lord Harlech's event as part of Fanfare for Youth to mark Britain's entry into the Common Market on Jan 1st

February 14, 1974

Jimmy, Robert, and Bonzo attended Roy Harper's St. Valentine's Day concert and play on a few numbers

December 19, 1974

Jimmy & JPJ joined Bad Company and Duster Bennett for an encore jam on 'Rock Me Baby'

April 18-May 3, 1980

Led Zeppelin rehearsals for short European tour

RainbowTheatre.jpg

Rainbow Theatre, Finsbury Park, London

Would it be Wardour st where they met up with the Damned, some club called the Roxy? oh as for pubs The golden Lion & The Worlds End.?

Might be worth a look if I have got my facts right.!

Yes, I definitely remember reading that they frequented these pubs. I am sure their roadies held a charity function/raffle at The Golden Lion. Did Richard Cole not host his wedding reception to Tracey at one of these pubs?

These are all amazing -- thank you!! :) :)

Yes, I definitely remember reading that they frequented these pubs. I am sure their roadies held a charity function/raffle at The Golden Lion. Did Richard Cole not host his wedding reception to Tracey at one of these pubs?

Archived