Robert Plant Article in Express.co.uk

kiss of fire

Wow a teacher? Glad he changed his mind. That BBC Show "Robert Plant, By Myself" is it available on line? I did see the BBC Proms concert that was awesome.

Hi "Kiss of Fire" and 'Avacado' and don't you make a Great Pear? :lol:

At last, do I detect a slither of TRUTH in his voice?

Plant said: "John had been incredibly supportive to me so to lose John, that was the end of any naivety. It was very evident that my last connection was severed. As far as strong affairs of the heart and a confederacy it was gone."

Read that people, its what I have always said, JB was his only FRIEND in the band, all others were Business Acquaintances or at best Associates, whatever anybody else might say to sway you here Mr Plant has finally put it all to rest, John Bonham was His only True Friend in the Band and when John had gone so had His interest in Led Zeppelin, well done Robert for at last putting US all out of our misery regarding a Reunion and the TRUTH of the last 30 years,

Regards, Danny

PS, Have I read it wrong or something? And it makes me wonder, sure does. ;)

Thanks 'Avacado' and Hi, don't we make a Great Pear? :lol:

Plant said: “John had been incredibly supportive to me so to lose John, that was the end of any naivety. It was very evident that my last connection was severed. As far as strong affairs of the heart and a confederacy it was gone.”

Read that people, its what I have always said, JB was his only FRIEND in the band, all others were Business Acquaintances or at best Associates, what ever anybody else might say to sway you here Mr Plant has finally put it all to rest, John Bonham was His only True Friend in the Band and when John had gone so had His interest in Led Zeppelin, well done Robert for at last putting US all out of our misery regarding a Reunion and the TRUTH of the last 30 years,

Regards, Danny

How can you say his only friend was Bonzo? We don't know that although I highly doubt it IMO.

How can you say his only friend was Bonzo? We don't know that although I highly doubt it IMO.

We are all entitled to our opinions, and that's mine, and a Good friend of mine who is quite close to JP is of the same opinion, that's how I base my opinion the way I do, and you?

Regards, Danny

We are all entitled to our opinions, and that's mine, and a Good friend of mine who is quite close to JP is of the same opinion, that's how I base my opinion the way I do, and you?

Regards, Danny

Opinions are fine but you stated it as if it were the truth and I'm just responding that I don't think any of us are in a position to know what Robert and Jimmy's personal relationship was like apart from the band.

Opinions are fine but you stated it as if it were the truth and I'm just responding that I don't think any of us are in a position to know what Robert and Jimmy's personal relationship was like apart from the band.

Mr Plant, in his own words said, and I quote,

"John had been incredibly supportive to me so to lose John, that was the end of any naivety. It was very evident that my last connection was severed. As far as strong affairs of the heart and a confederacy it was gone.”

I rest my case, I take that as Gospel, if I am wrong then please explain what He meant when He said "strong affairs of the heart" if not about His relationship with the rest of the band?

Regards, Danny

PS, This could get ugly. :o

Mr Plant, in his own words said, and I quote,

"John had been incredibly supportive to me so to lose John, that was the end of any naivety. It was very evident that my last connection was severed. As far as strong affairs of the heart and a confederacy it was gone.”

I rest my case, I take that as Gospel, if I am wrong then please explain what He meant when He said "strong affairs of the heart" if not about His relationship with the rest of the band?

Regards, Danny

PS, This could get ugly. :o

Why would it get ugly? We're disagreeing but I have no intention of hurling insults and I hope you feel the same way :) To me I think after his son died (again, my thoughts) and Robert wasn't sure about returning to Zep, John was the one encouraging him and after he died, it was sort of the last straw if you will - but important to note that the statement they issued about not continuing was mutually agreed upon by all of them. I'm not inside his head nor do I know the man so I really don't know for sure what he meant but I do think that he and Jimmy have/had a bond that despite going their separate ways, will always be there on some level.

Why would it get ugly? We're disagreeing but I have no intention of hurling insults and I hope you feel the same way :) To me I think after his son died (again, my thoughts) and Robert wasn't sure about returning to Zep, John was the one encouraging him and after he died, it was sort of the last straw if you will - but important to note that the statement they issued about not continuing was mutually agreed upon by all of them. I'm not inside his head nor do I know the man so I really don't know for sure what he meant but I do think that he and Jimmy have/had a bond that despite going their separate ways, will always be there on some level.

You still haven't really got my humour have you ninelives? please try harder for your next homework assignment. ;)

That was just a joke, right?

The rest of your post I totally agree with, but a Bond is a Bond, it doesn't mean a Friendship, but what you may ask does? and I would be rather unable to tell you or to put my finger on it either as friendships are as elusive as reunions in many ways don't you think? :blink:

Regards, Danny

BigDan - We know that Robert and Bonzo were great friends way before meeting Jimmy and John Paul. They were in the original Band of Joy together way before Led Zep and didn't they also grow up together in the same area? I do believe Robert really loved John because they were so very close for many years already and they did have a really strong bond and special friendship. I also think definitely Jimmy and Robert became very good friends, maybe not to the degree of friendship Robert and John had but definitely good friends. I think Jimmy really loves Robert still, maybe more than vice versa. Check out the DVD "No Quarter". With every song they perform, Jimmy looks at Robert like he freaking "adores" him (in a masculine way of course - a "man crush"??) and Robert responds with great admiration towards Jimmy. In fact, after one song, I forget which, Jimmy goes over to Robert looking like he wants to hug and kiss him and Robert just sticks his arm out and gives him a "high five". I think they are still good friends up and until Jimmy starts to bring up rockin out and Led Zep. Robert, having nothing to do with his feelings for either Jimmy or John Paul, isn't into that type of performance anymore for probably several reasons. Also, let's remember that back in the "Led Zep" day, Robert was really into more of a folk music style and I think wanted to do more of that, whereas Jimmy would put a stop to it because it wasn't going to quite fit into the Led Zep format. I think THAT is where they come apart and disagree. I think personally though, they really like each other. The music you hear Robert doing now with the Band of Joy is what he's been wanting to do for years. Look at how happy he is and how great that group is!

Great post :goodpost: and quite an interesting perspective and take on the whole situation. Who knows, but it makes a lot of sense. I don't think we've heard much first hand from anyone in the band in regard to the direction they wanted to take musically, whether Robert just went along with a lot of Jimmy's influence since he was somewhat the boss back in the Zeppelin days. Were there quarrels and/or resentment from within as far as what material would be recorded, style and what would be included in concert and how? Just a matter of specifics, I'm wondering about.

I Love the BOJ material and really enjoy what Robert is doing now. I can't wait to see them again next year in the U.S. Such a tight unit!

Plant said: "John had been incredibly supportive to me so to lose John, that was the end of any naivety. It was very evident that my last connection was severed. As far as strong affairs of the heart and a confederacy it was gone."

Read that people, its what I have always said, JB was his only FRIEND in the band, all others were Business Acquaintances or at best Associates, whatever anybody else might say to sway you here Mr Plant has finally put it all to rest, John Bonham was His only True Friend in the Band and when John had gone so had His interest in Led Zeppelin, well done Robert for at last putting US all out of our misery regarding a Reunion and the TRUTH of the last 30 years,

Regards, Danny

I think you're right, BigDan. Plant shared musical interests with the other two members and they obviously worked incredibly well together but that must have been the extent of it, according to him.

I think you're right, BigDan. Plant shared musical interests with the other two members and they obviously worked incredibly well together but that must have been the extent of it, according to him.

Thank you Janet for your insight and support, at last someone with ignores the obvious and digs a little deeper in to a very essence of Mr Plant and isn't afraid to say what you feel, Kudos, er whatever that means. :o

Regards, Danny

PS, Maybe we should do a Topic on what Friendship is to each and every one of us, OK I will then. :kiss:

SuperDave - I read someplace, maybe here, that after Robert's collaboration with Jimmy on No Quarter, Robert wanted to keep working with Jimmy but take the music in another direction but Jimmy wanted to keep it rock and that was when they split and Robert made Dreamland. I think it's always been about Robert really, really wanting to do stuff similar to what he's doing now and Jimmy wanted to keep rockin but personally, I think they are good friends and will always be. You see how Robert is. He keeps people close to him and values friendships.

BTW you HAVE to check out the BBC Proms concert if you haven't already. I think they are only running it for another couple of days but the video will be up for that in a week or two. I love how Robert during the concert is announcing fellow band members in this sorta "olde style great grand master of ceremonies" persona and how he introduces Patty as something like "Back here in London, the Hillbilly Queen, Miss Patty Griffin!" So cool.

I think they are still good friends up and until Jimmy starts to bring up rockin out and Led Zep.

"I still see Jimmy quite a lot and he's very complimentary and supportive of what I'm doing, but we are in different places now and you have to go on to do different things."

--Robert Plant (December 20, 2008)

Bollocks.

I'm exercising my right to my opinion, same as you, only mine is based on personal experience, not second hand opinions and twisted interpretations of interviews. So shove that in your "pair" and smoke it.

Oh and - ;)

I'm exercising my right to my opinion, same as you, only mine is based on personal experience, not second hand opinions and twisted interpretations of interviews. So shove that in your "pair" and smoke it.

Oh and - ;)

Hi Knebby

I thought WE had got over this Personal Feud that YOU have with ME, I must have got it wrong again even though YOU said that YOU would put it behind YOU, how can I take anything YOU say seriously now when you KEEP going back on YOUR WORD?

So lets see or hear of some of your personal experiences if you have the balls to display them or do we have to take the word of someone who's word cannot be trusted just because they say so? :yesnod:

And don't forget that you have stated on here that RP has had issues with certain band members for over 30 years, and you know exactly what I'm talking about don't you?

Thanks for the advice but I don't smoke, buy i do scratch them often, and right now I'm having a scratch just for you. ;)

Regards, Danny (I'm dropping the word "Kind" from my Regards for obvious reasons) :o

PS, I'm talking about Real True Friendships, not Acquaintances, Buddies, Mates, Pals, or whatever, you do understand that , don't you? :friends:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship

Hi Knebby

I thought WE had got over this Personal Feud that YOU have with ME, I must have got it wrong again even though YOU said that YOU would put it behind YOU, how can I take anything YOU say seriously now when you KEEP going back on YOUR WORD?

So lets see or hear of some of your personal experiences if you have the balls to display them or do we have to take the word of someone who's word cannot be trusted just because they say so? :yesnod:

And don't forget that you have stated on here that RP has had issues with certain band members for over 30 years, and you know exactly what I'm talking about don't you?

Thanks for the advice but I don't smoke, buy i do scratch them often, and right now I'm having a scratch just for you. ;)

Regards, Danny (I'm dropping the word "Kind" from my Regards for obvious reasons) :o

PS, I'm talking about Real True Friendships, not Acquaintances, Buddies, Mates, Pals, or whatever, you do understand that , don't you? :friends:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship

So what does all this have to do with the article I posted? Fortunately it was posted again by Super Dave in another section of the forum and members are actually disusing the content of the article.

It's all fine and dandy if you want to discuss your differences on pm. But it's bullshit to turn a thread into a pissing match. This was about Robert almost quitting LZ and how heartbroken he was over Karac's death , thankfully he didn't and John his wonderful friend stood by him so now knock it off and take the diatribe ^ to a private message.

Thank You!

So what does all this have to do with the article I posted? Fortunately it was posted again by Super Dave in another section of the forum and members are actually disusing the content of the article.

It's all fine and dandy if you want to discuss your differences on pm. But it's bullshit to turn a thread into a pissing match. This was about Robert almost quitting LZ and how heartbroken he was over Karac's death , thankfully he didn't and John his wonderful friend stood by him so now knock it off and take the diatribe ^ to a private message.

Thank You!

Hi 'kiss of fire'

Sorry, unreservedly. :beer:

Regards, Danny

SuperDave - I read someplace, maybe here, that after Robert's collaboration with Jimmy on No Quarter, Robert wanted to keep working with Jimmy but take the music in another direction but Jimmy wanted to keep it rock and that was when they split and Robert made Dreamland. I think it's always been about Robert really, really wanting to do stuff similar to what he's doing now and Jimmy wanted to keep rockin but personally, I think they are good friends and will always be. You see how Robert is. He keeps people close to him and values friendships.

BTW you HAVE to check out the BBC Proms concert if you haven't already. I think they are only running it for another couple of days but the video will be up for that in a week or two. I love how Robert during the concert is announcing fellow band members in this sorta "olde style great grand master of ceremonies" persona and how he introduces Patty as something like "Back here in London, the Hillbilly Queen, Miss Patty Griffin!" So cool.

Thanks for the info. I remember back in 1998 after wrapping up dates in the UK and Europe, Page and Plant were scheduled to perform a number of shows over in Japan. They were canceled and I don't remember hearing a specific reason why this happened. I suppose maybe the two of them had a falling out of sorts and perhaps what you said, about a disagreement in musical direction had something to do with it. I would have thought they'd honor these shows and just end the current partnership as far as recording and such after the dates were completed. But that didn't happen.

Thanks for the reminder on the BBC proms. Will have to take a look. Do you have the link? Probably on a thread somewhere as well.

Archived